Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s a realistic amount (%) to pay below asking price from a dealer for a CPO 911?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 05:57 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by puppycat
Not to hijack this thread but as a side comment, I'm in the same locale and would strongly prefer any other dealer than Autonation

Getting an appointment with the only dealer serving a metro area of 6 million is next to impossible. Too many bad experiences once there. Indy for me.
I'm actually about 3 1/2 hours away, but I bought the car in Seattle. Porsche Bellevue not only made an emergency, same day Saturday appt, they also didn't charge me! I was very pleased with my one and only experience there.

​​​​
Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
I'm actually about 3 1/2 hours away, but I bought the car in Seattle. Porsche Bellevue not only made an emergency, same day Saturday appt, they also didn't charge me! I was very pleased with my one and only experience
Glad things worked out for you. Maybe it's improved a bit there since the last few times I've tried. The PNW is definitely under represented with dealerships. Little competition.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:23 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
Just dont tell the dealer you bought it from a dealer that wasnt a porsche dealer. Keep that to yourself, and youll be golden. It should technically be void unless you get private party or a P dealer.
Unfortunately car sales are in the public domain, and it would be naive to think that any dealer would take a customer's word on the purchase.There's no dealer that will perform CPO work before it verifies that the CPO is valid. Otherwise the dealer will be on the hook for the repair, when Porsche denies the claim.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:39 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast1
Unfortunately car sales are in the public domain, and it would be naive to think that any dealer would take a customer's word on the purchase.There's no dealer that will perform CPO work before it verifies that the CPO is valid. Otherwise the dealer will be on the hook for the repair, when Porsche denies the claim.
Just to clarify all... I called my "local" dealership (which is different than the Bellevue one, who also confirmed my car was CPO).
I had my more local dealer confirm the car is in fact CPO. However, the CPO does not take effect until April 8th, which is when my factory warranty expires. From there, I have CPO for 2 years and unlimited miles.
My thinking is that because the CPO is not active yet, that may be why it is uneffected by where I purchased it? I don't know... But 2 dealers confirming I have CPO is good enough for me.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:42 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by puppycat
Unless something's changed, I thought a resale through non-Porsche dealer nullifies the CPO
of the previous owner. It doesn't carry through.
this
Old 12-14-2019, 12:26 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

It was already CPO'd by the previous owner.

Interesting. I would get something in writing for sure. Did you receive the CPO "credit card" proof of warrantee with the manuals? I was told by several Porsche dealers that a car is only a CPO car if purchased directly from an authorized Porsche dealer OR you purchase a current CPO car from a private owner. As soon as a NON authorized Porsche dealer titles the car for inventory or is sold out of the Porsche dealer network, the CPO is dead.
I passed on several "non-Porsche" dealer lots thinking there is no way they could be a CPO car.
Score for you.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:29 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

When I bought my GTS two months ago, the dealer (non-Porsche) would not lower the price. A couple factors played into that :
1. The car had only been on the lot for a couple weeks
2. There was strong interest

I knew what KBB was. It was CPO and well-optioned. I negotiated with my trade instead of on the sale price. It also helped I was trading a BMW to a BMW dealer, so I was able to maximize my trade-in's price on all levels.

Point being... Know the market, understand what you're buying and where it stands in the market, and you won't go wrong.

M2toGT4,
Have you taken this car in for any CPO work? Also, was the title signed over to the non Porsche dealer or did the dealer float the title to you?
Old 12-14-2019, 12:42 AM
SConn
Drifting

Again!!!
The CPO hasn't even begun yet! It's still under factory warranty! I've verified the car is CPO with 2 separate dealerships.

It is what it is at this point, anyway. I already own the car! If it ends up not being CPO, whatever! I've read they aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway. I planned on getting a Fidelity warranty. But when I'm old my CPO warranty begins April 8th after the dealer did a VIN CPO check (just today!) for me, that's who I'm gonna believe.

On top of that, this thread isn't about me and my CPO or non-CPO car! Sometimes people need to read all posts before replying.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:43 AM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Interesting. I would get something in writing for sure. Did you receive the CPO "credit card" proof of warrantee with the manuals? I was told by several Porsche dealers that a car is only a CPO car if purchased directly from an authorized Porsche dealer OR you purchase a current CPO car from a private owner. As soon as a NON authorized Porsche dealer titles the car for inventory or is sold out of the Porsche dealer network, the CPO is dead.
I passed on several "non-Porsche" dealer lots thinking there is no way they could be a CPO car.
Score for you.
I was told the CPO follows the VIN... No need to transfer to my name. This was from Porsche Spokane just today.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:46 AM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

I was told the CPO follows the VIN... No need to transfer to my name. This was from Porsche Spokane just today.
Only from private party sales or through a Porsche dealer. A sale via a 3rd party dealer terminates the CPO.

From the Porsche USA website:

This warranty is not valid if sold by any non-authorized commercial dealer or broker. If this vehicle is traded to a non-authorized Porsche dealer or broker for resale purposes, the Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is void.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Just looking at the online inventory of CPO 911s across the country (through the official Porsche website) and am curious what I can realistically expect to pay below asking price. What kind of margin are they typically working with on CPOs? I would hate to be aiming for an unachievable price.
I found one online in NY six months ago; my option set, my color, good condition and carfax. CPO car. The price was high but not outlandish. I'd been looking for a while at a number of cars but none had the combination of what I wanted. Since I was not in a position to order a new 992.1 to my taste (which I would have done) because production was switching over to 992s, I was stuck with what was out there, either on dealer lot or CPO market. Long story short, I flew to JFK, saw the car, paid asking price, and drove it home. I love it.

My used 981S two years ago was different. It was a local car, previously CPOd but being sold at a BMW group dealer, not eligible. The price they had on it was high, fairly high for a non-CPO car with it's mileage. I offered about 7% under asking and they took 5. I drove away happy.

YMMV. As others have said, it depends on the particular car, particular timing, particular market, particular buyer, and particular dealer principle.

Personally a CPO Porsche is a hell of a deal, if you can find one with the set of options you can live with. I was a bit taken aback at how different Porsche's are configured by their owners when new. The amount of factory options is almost limitless it seems to me. So, buying used, you get an odd combination of lower price, since the market does not value options like original owners, but against that is the smaller availability of "stock" cars since many come potentially with personal choices that may or may not be to your taste. (as an example, my base Carrera had a sunroof, the rotors powder coated red. and the rear deck lid debadged - none of which I prefer. But it did have a 7MT, SC, and was in GT Silver - all of which I really wanted.)

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 12-14-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Only if the car was not sold "outside" the Porsche network.

My 981S was a CPO (and I even found the CPO card in the glove box) but when I called PCNA Atlanta to inquire about the warranty, they confirmed since it was sold by a BMW group the CPO warranty was N/A. Bummer.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:12 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Score for you.
Bingo.

I received my CPO "credit card" on my 991 about 2 months after the purchase was completed at the dealer in Long Island. After the time of sale, I requested and received a copy of the screen shot from the Porsche online dealer network with the VIN, the date(s) of the original warranty, and the date(s) of the extended two year additional CPO warranty.

In case it is helpful to anyone else reading this thread in future, as a lesson learned, personally, if I were doing a CPO purchase again, and had any qualms about the status of the warranty, I would request this information (screen shot of the dealer network with CPO date(s)) at the start of the deal to confirm the warranty status.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 12-14-2019 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HkPlinker (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:24 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Just to clarify all... I called my "local" dealership (which is different than the Bellevue one, who also confirmed my car was CPO).
I had my more local dealer confirm the car is in fact CPO. However, the CPO does not take effect until April 8th, which is when my factory warranty expires. From there, I have CPO for 2 years and unlimited miles.
My thinking is that because the CPO is not active yet, that may be why it is uneffected by where I purchased it? I don't know... But 2 dealers confirming I have CPO is good enough for me.
Keep in mind that dealers do not provide the warranty, Porsche does. I have no idea who you talked to at the dealership, but f you talk to any Porsche Service Manager ot better yet PCNA, and ask if the CPO is valid when a car is purchased from a non-Porsche dealership, I guarantee that the answer will be no. So regardless of what somebody told you at the dealership, Porsche will not honor the CPO. And they are the only one that matters.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Dirty Jacket
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by scr1244
As a retired new and used car dealer, I am always amazed at how many “authorities “ are out there...... The original tread(question) cannot be answered.
generally speaking though, how long are dealers willing to have a car sit on their lot before they just want to get rid of it. Obviously they’re not going to get bent over but what is the typical time frame when they’re more willing to soften their stance? Not answerable?

also side question, if I offer to pay cash up front for the car but “concede” to finance to benefit the dealer, does that play into my favor or do they not care how I pay?

Last edited by Dirty Jacket; 12-14-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: What’s a realistic amount (%) to pay below asking price from a dealer for a CPO 911?