Old 12-11-2019, 11:54 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Marshall,
Will we be seeing an additional features in map updates or any enhanced performance? Or would that be something that custom tuners handle from here?
We are not currently working on map updates for the Carreras, but do have some planned updates for 718 and 991.2 Turbo/Turbo S. Depending on what you're looking for a Protuner could very well facilitate any requested changes. Feel free to reach out if you have questions regarding a specific feature/improvement request!

Marshall@COBB

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 12-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

What's the unlock time? What about flashing for maps post unlock?

Can the ECU be locked when flashing back to stock map (say for when going for service)?

Is flash counter locked?

Excited to get my hands on this...
Old 12-11-2019, 12:38 PM
997gt3rs4liter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excited for this product release! A COBB tuned 991.2 Carrera T or GTS with a manual sounds good to me! I prefer COBB's OTS tuning over APR because the customer remains in control. No need to visit a dealer for a tune or reflash. Thanks for keeping us updated!
The following 2 users liked this post by 997gt3rs4liter:
COBB Tuning (12-11-2019), GT3FZS (12-18-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:26 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Aatish
What's the unlock time? What about flashing for maps post unlock?

Can the ECU be locked when flashing back to stock map (say for when going for service)?

Is flash counter locked?

Excited to get my hands on this...
Unlock time is not significant, but it will increase initial installation time by a bit. We'll have more exact info upon release, you're still looking at less than 30 minutes from plugging in your battery charger to leaving on your first tuned drive. Map change duration will be unchanged, less than 2 minutes. Yes, the ECU can be "re-locked" upon Uninstall via the Accessport. We do not manipulate flash count values, defrauding Porsche isn't something we're interested in.

Marshall@COBB
The following users liked this post:
Aatish (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:27 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Absolutely not. This is something we've been working on for quite some time, as has APR. APR started teasing their release a little while back and we knew it would be close to coinciding to ours but chose to remain quiet in hopes of potentially beating them to the punch. It appears as though they do have the ability to flash a selection of ROMs through the front door for now and will add more as time progresses. When we release front door flashing, all currently supported ECUs will immediately be supported. This will not be an incomplete offering.

Marshall@COBB

Cool! It really makes no difference to me, I just thought it was random and was curious. Thank you.

This sure will make obtaining a tune so much easier. Not only will this be the easiest way to obtain a tune. But it will also opens the door for pro tuners. Nothing against OTS maps. But I would rather have a pro tune, which this will make very easy to obtain and remove at will. So many win win situations with this.

Do you guys foresee using IOS or andriod phones for the flashing process in the future? Nothing against the AP at all. I loved mine in my subaru days (lance was the man then). But Ive seen other tune solutions using that these days and I am just curious.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:27 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

as my 991.2 is my first foray into tuning, i could have all but guaranteed that this would be done a few months after I took out my ecu and shipped to cobb... murphys law follows me...
Old 12-11-2019, 03:21 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Sorry a bit off topic

@COBB Tuning Any chance of seeing a Stage 2 991.1 map again?
The following users liked this post:
CLeagones (01-03-2020)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:25 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
We do not manipulate flash count values, defrauding Porsche isn't something we're interested in.

Marshall@COBB

Just to confirm. Are you saying if you flash the car with the AP, that the ECU flash counter WILL show a flash and that you DO NOT change that to show nothing was flashed?

Old 12-11-2019, 03:50 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Sorry a bit off topic

@COBB Tuning Any chance of seeing a Stage 2 991.1 map again?
We do not currently have plans to re-visit Stage 2 maps for the NA 991 cars, sorry.

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Just to confirm. Are you saying if you flash the car with the AP, that the ECU flash counter WILL show a flash and that you DO NOT change that to show nothing was flashed?
Yes, that is correct.

Marshall@COBB
Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Marshall,

Any plans for a "Stage 0.7" kind of map? I am thinking not quite as aggressive as Stage 1. Odd question, I know, but I always liked the idea of a "tuned but not crazy" (lower safety limits, for example) map.

Chris
Old 12-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris - 97C2
Marshall,

Any plans for a "Stage 0.7" kind of map? I am thinking not quite as aggressive as Stage 1. Odd question, I know, but I always liked the idea of a "tuned but not crazy" (lower safety limits, for example) map.

Chris
Just don't put your right foot down as far! Trust me, after a few weeks you would be asking for Stage 1!
Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
as my 991.2 is my first foray into tuning, i could have all but guaranteed that this would be done a few months after I took out my ecu and shipped to cobb... murphys law follows me...
same with me. But does that really make any difference going forward?
This is new territory for me and my question is really legit
Old 12-12-2019, 03:37 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

With the tuners seeming like they’ve “broken” the encryption enough to be able to flash the ECU in place, I wonder if that means Durametric is far behind with their interface?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:11 PM
yoyo711
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I Book for APR Tune for 12/16 but need to hold that Tune and wait for COBB.(To remove the tune, we charge $55. We do offer lifetime flashing for $165. This will allow you to remove and reinstall the tunes if needed to visit the dealership)
I like to find out when Accessport flashing without ECU Removal Tune. Next week my wife has a business trip.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris - 97C2
Marshall,

Chris
Hey Chris, we don't have anything like that in the plans but this is actually a pretty common request that we do have a solution for. Using a map for a lesser quality fuel while continuing to use your normal fuel is a great way to achieve exactly what you're requesting, a bit of an extra buffer in engine safety. For example, timing in a 91 octane map is optimized for 91 octane fuel, and a 93 map would have timing optimized for 93 octane fuel (amongst other changes). If you were to flash our 91 octane map while continuing to pump 93 fuel into the car, you're essentially achieving exactly what you've requested.

Marshall@COBB

Quick Reply: COBB Tuning - Accessport Flashing Without ECU Removal