Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod Madness GTS 4.0 Litre Twin Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 06:05 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 658 Posts

To elaborate motec the one I am currently considering has 9 positions not 12 you can run 2 completely separate tunes in the ecu and up to 9 different boost or throttle maps plus 9 different traction control settings plus more

And believe me the processor has no problems with it. We could actually run a second set of injectors and have methanol tank in the car and whole seperate methanol fuel system. And as it comes on boost we could switch to straight meth 😂😂

Old 12-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I’ve done some projects where CPU has been an issue, ended up having to slow some less critical processes down to help. Once you start doing lots of things fast the CPU can’t keep up - eg gearshift needs to be run at 1000Hz once the shift is initiated on a sequential box or you simply don’t have the resolution to implement a complex strategy. Been a long while since I touched one as moved in to other areas of motorsport electronics so maybe the later system files have sorted it but it was a serious pain - driver would report issues and you’d look in the data to find a gap as the ECU stops logging when CPU is maxed.

You can only load one piece of firmware to an M1 series at a time, you can have alternate tables and switch between them based on logic so I guess you are in to semantics on what is defined as a map - it isn’t like the old M800 series where you could load in 4 separate calibration files, there is only one file so I would call that one map. The number of positions is just down to how many sites are allocated to a given axis in M1 build.

Anyway, I wasn’t looking to argue about it online - my intention was so wish you luck with it and I’ll be following.

M1 Traction control is great by the way, really helps you get out of corners in the fastest way once dialled in.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:46 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Wow, awesome...someone has a lot of play money!
Old 12-09-2019, 02:43 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I would wait, buy the new 4.0 motor and swap motor and and add turbos. The new 4.0 is same case as 3.0 so most mounts will be identical including gearbox attachment. Why there is rumor of a GT4 RS with pdk.

this could be an easier and more robust path vs boring and stroking your 3.0.

im following this thread now. Have fun and good luck

Old 12-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Funny, but also true.

unfortunately yes. The car was ready to go. You may have noticed I am a little impatient.
But I never paid for the roof. You should have seen the look on the sales guys face when I said, “I’m not paying $6k for that! It raises the centre of gravity. It’s the stupidest thing I could think of to put in a Porsche. “. I never had to pay for it.

As for track performance. You can store 12 maps on MoTeC. You just toggle between them, rather than have to keep loading and flashing like COBB. So a refined track map that gives stock like down low power but dramatically increases top end.

I’m fine with endless tuning. My Son-in-law tunes the car. He loves it and is also a track rat.

A 720S has insane top end. I can stick with it most of the way around a track. It just ever so slowly pulls on my down the longer straights.

I would like to reverse that, where I am pulling on it down the long straights.

last track day, I handed two GT2-RS there ***. But the third one came out in the last session and set a cracker of a lap and just beat me. (That guy just got back from training at the ring. It definitely showed lol. He grew a pair whilst there.)
Hit the pause button for 1 minute, you're keeping up with a 720S on track; forget the straights, that is small enough its driver error for sure AND you want more? You, sir, have more ***** then I do! Hahah. Was the 720S stock? (just curious, they are already underrated..)

Overall, I love reading (and seeing, once done) projects like this. Outside of being able to say 'I did it' if I build a pro vs cons vs cool points spread sheet (this is how I would start out) I truly believe the cons list would have some heavy hitters on it that would make me second guess the idea. I believe mod/project money will be drained fast on the engine alone and while all of us would love a limitless piggy bank we sometimes need to be pulled back down to reality. Personally, I would even get a base model 4, slick top, PDK (MT for me) and start the build that way. You'll get the lightest wide body platform, can keep the AWD and or swap it to RWD and do all the nice tranny/diff/engine upgrades you'd want. Even a engine swap in your current car would be higher on my list over the 3.0 -->4.0 move. But thats just me. Fun as hell? Hell YES! but everything considered, not worth all the work, time, money you'll be in it for.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:45 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
Hit the pause button for 1 minute, you're keeping up with a 720S on track; forget the straights, that is small enough its driver error for sure AND you want more? You, sir, have more ***** then I do! Hahah. Was the 720S stock? (just curious, they are already underrated..)

Overall, I love reading (and seeing, once done) projects like this. Outside of being able to say 'I did it' if I build a pro vs cons vs cool points spread sheet (this is how I would start out) I truly believe the cons list would have some heavy hitters on it that would make me second guess the idea. I believe mod/project money will be drained fast on the engine alone and while all of us would love a limitless piggy bank we sometimes need to be pulled back down to reality. Personally, I would even get a base model 4, slick top, PDK (MT for me) and start the build that way. You'll get the lightest wide body platform, can keep the AWD and or swap it to RWD and do all the nice tranny/diff/engine upgrades you'd want. Even a engine swap in your current car would be higher on my list over the 3.0 -->4.0 move. But thats just me. Fun as hell? Hell YES! but everything considered, not worth all the work, time, money you'll be in it for.
Yes, the 720S was stock. They are a rocketship up top. Its like they have a 2nd power band. Looking forward to March when MoTeC programs our cars.

I need to get the ACC and front park sensors coded out after putting the GT3 front bar on. Porsche are doing that tomorrow. There is way more power to be had if we over come some of the hidden torque limiting tables.

I will ask the question tomorrow, can they do a GT2-RS PDK relearn on my car. That should free up some space.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Rennlist Member

Yes, the 720S was stock. They are a rocketship up top. Its like they have a 2nd power band. Looking forward to March when MoTeC programs our cars.

I need to get the ACC and front park sensors coded out after putting the GT3 front bar on. Porsche are doing that tomorrow. There is way more power to be had if we over come some of the hidden torque limiting tables.

I will ask the question tomorrow, can they do a GT2-RS PDK relearn on my car. That should free up some space.
My understanding is that those tables are there for our PDK as the gearset is much stronger in the Turbo/S/2RS. SSP in Canada has done some great clutch/basket/gear sets for TT Huracan builds. All billet stuff, wonder if they have any experience with the .2 911's. Although, getting a set from a Turbo car or even an entire tranny could be easier on both time and wallet. FYI, March is around the corner, will be great to see what can be unlocked and the data well get in terms of strength of the PDK with the MoTec.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:15 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

go sequential!
Old 12-14-2019, 01:37 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
My understanding is that those tables are there for our PDK as the gearset is much stronger in the Turbo/S/2RS. SSP in Canada has done some great clutch/basket/gear sets for TT Huracan builds. All billet stuff, wonder if they have any experience with the .2 911's. Although, getting a set from a Turbo car or even an entire tranny could be easier on both time and wallet. FYI, March is around the corner, will be great to see what can be unlocked and the data well get in terms of strength of the PDK with the MoTec.
I asked the dealership and they said there is only one PDK. All the magic is software. The actual hardware is the same across the model range.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:37 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Why stop at 4L? If you have to stroke and bore anyway, crank, rods, pistons, you have to buy it all, might as well go 4.5L or bigger....
Old 12-15-2019, 03:24 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

Curious, why didnt you start with a turbo platform? A modded turbo (upgraded turbos) would likely blow your doors off. What's your 60 to 130 time? A stock 720s is about 5.5 seconds. A tune only 991 2 turbo s is high 5's.....
Old 12-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Rennlist Member

I asked the dealership and they said there is only one PDK. All the magic is software. The actual hardware is the same across the model range.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1171966

Didnt know that. Good to hear. Here you go ^ and, well, you dont need the PDK
Old 12-19-2019, 09:49 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

You might double check that. I believe that's true for PDK vs PDKS but I believe turbos and GT2rs have a different part number. Same basic tranny but higher torque spec and components....
Old 12-19-2019, 11:01 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

This week, i read somewhere that the 3.8 TT PDKs have different clutch packs than the Carrera 3.0 TT's. My recollection is it was info from a shop that rebuilds PDKs...

Quick Reply: Mod Madness GTS 4.0 Litre Twin Turbo.