Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod Madness GTS 4.0 Litre Twin Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 02:05 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 657 Posts
Default Mod Madness GTS 4.0 Litre Twin Turbo.

I like to do the odd mod. I have Vektor Headers and Akrapovic cats. Will do the Akropovic cans shortly. But I was thinking of up grading the turbo's. The original plan was to just add a pair of Garrett G25-550's.

That would be more than enough for most people. (Who you callin most people? )

Ok, so MoTeC are going to do a full custom ECU replacement for my car to control everything, including the Tractive suspension. (Much more on that later).

So my tuner says since we are going full MoTeC we can do anything including stroking the motor. Huh! I was wondering, since Porsche essentially took the 3.0 TT, and stroked it to 4.0 but removed the turbos for the new GT4.

Why couldn't I stroke mine to 4.0 and then up grade the turbo's seriously like some G30-770's. Then it was make a very lazy 1,000Hp. People really shouldn't suggest stuff like this to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
jwr9152 (12-05-2019), Mcx (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:31 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

You are enterring a very dangerous path which usually requires Deep very Deep pockets.

To my understanding extreme tuning usually is performed from companies Who are targeting to sell their products and need a demo car. Therefore the money they spend to tune completely a platform is minimum to the money they Will get back from potential customers.

In case you want your car to reach 1.000 hp i would suggest to use a GTR and walk on the safe easy path. I do not like to be the experiment especially in my precious car.

Try to keep a distance from your tunner for next 3 months. Then we can discuss again.

On the other hand we live once. Enjoy your mods and your spirit. Sky is the limit.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:38 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I like to do the odd mod. I have Vektor Headers and Akrapovic cats. Will do the Akropovic cans shortly. But I was thinking of up grading the turbo's. The original plan was to just add a pair of Garrett G25-550's.

That would be more than enough for most people. (Who you callin most people? )

Ok, so MoTeC are going to do a full custom ECU replacement for my car to control everything, including the Tractive suspension. (Much more on that later).

So my tuner says since we are going full MoTeC we can do anything including stroking the motor. Huh! I was wondering, since Porsche essentially took the 3.0 TT, and stroked it to 4.0 but removed the turbos for the new GT4.

Why couldn't I stroke mine to 4.0 and then up grade the turbo's seriously like some G30-770's. Then it was make a very lazy 1,000Hp. People really shouldn't suggest stuff like this to me.
My GTS is tuned stage 2 with HF cats, BMC filters and tons of power/torque. I actually have a hard time launching it. With that said i'd love to see 1k Hp on a GTS so I say god for it
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 03:53 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

I think the 4.0L is bored and stroked, so I would be a little worried about block strength with presumably thinner walls between cylinders. I guess maybe a custom billet block? Getting enough airflow for intercooling could be challenging. Change to air to water and use the third radiator up front in addition to a pair of radiators to replace the ICs in the stock locations?
Freddie Two Bs (12-14-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 03:56 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

What's the sound like in your opinion with the Vektor Headers and Akrapovic cats? I've got just the Akra cats right now, and they don't seem to change it much or make it much louder than stock.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:38 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I think the 4.0L is bored and stroked, so I would be a little worried about block strength with presumably thinner walls between cylinders. I guess maybe a custom billet block? Getting enough airflow for intercooling could be challenging. Change to air to water and use the third radiator up front in addition to a pair of radiators to replace the ICs in the stock locations?
i have the AMS up graded intercoolers already. Now that I have the GT3 front bar, I have added the PWR centre radiator. I will also up grade the side two also to PWR.

Originally Posted by marinb
What's the sound like in your opinion with the Vektor Headers and Akrapovic cats? I've got just the Akra cats right now, and they don't seem to change it much or make it much louder than stock.
Vektor and Akra Sound great. Nice improvement in time and volume. It is a little deep. I need to add the Akra cans that are Ti and it will make it higher pitched more like N/a.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 704 Posts

Sounds like more trouble than it is worth IMO. I worked at a race shop for years and saw many people start on a path like this only to end up ruining the enjoyment of the car or worse never seeing it to the end. You saw what happened even with your "simple" bumper swap... It would be that x 10. A project that will likely be riddled with delay after delay. Two steps forward, one step backwards kinda thing.

1. What are YOU gaining from the Motec vs the Cobb? Actual real world gains
2. Do you really think that much more power will add to your enjoyment of the car? If so ok, but when you mod a car to that extent, it is never the same.
3. You might have to bin that Akra exhaust, I don't think it can support that type of power (but I could be wrong). I would be thinking custom made 3" pipes off the turbos straight to the bumper with nothing else in the way.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

If you are going to undertake something like this then get a 992 and do it on the newest platform you can. Of course it's cheaper to buy a GT3RS than what you are getting ready to do....
Guards_Red_991 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
If you are going to undertake something like this then get a 992 and do it on the newest platform you can. Of course it's cheaper to buy a GT3RS than what you are getting ready to do....
I would actually go the other way... Get a 997 and go bananas.
SB27 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:33 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
And start with a Mezger
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
+1
Old 12-04-2019, 03:21 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Sounds like more trouble than it is worth IMO. I worked at a race shop for years and saw many people start on a path like this only to end up ruining the enjoyment of the car or worse never seeing it to the end. You saw what happened even with your "simple" bumper swap... It would be that x 10. A project that will likely be riddled with delay after delay. Two steps forward, one step backwards kinda thing.

1. What are YOU gaining from the Motec vs the Cobb? Actual real world gains
2. Do you really think that much more power will add to your enjoyment of the car? If so ok, but when you mod a car to that extent, it is never the same.
3. You might have to bin that Akra exhaust, I don't think it can support that type of power (but I could be wrong). I would be thinking custom made 3" pipes off the turbos straight to the bumper with nothing else in the way.
Unlimited gains from MoTeC. Full telemetry. Boost by gear, boost by speed. Absoloute control over everything. Nothing locked away and hidden. It would take COBB decades to work through everything Porsche have locked away, if they were interested. So much is hidden and locked down. MoTeC frees it all. It’s in English. The tuner knows exactly where everything is. No hidden limits. No hidden tables.

It can also control my tractive suspension.

Essentially if I go down this path, it will start to transform into my track car.

Full traction control, PDK control. Full Flex fuel. No more adjusting amounts of E85. Just pour any amount up to and including 100% or Zero and it self adjusts the tune.

Full control over how bit the flame it spits is. Very important
Old 12-04-2019, 03:29 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
A GT3 is so slow compared to my car it may as well be a Miata. I am beating GT2-RS in drag races and at the track. With my tractive suspension and full adjustable spherical bearing bars, I have long since surpassed a GT3-RS. You can’t beat boost. N/a is a nice sound, but it’s had its day. They are great packages out the box. But easily exceeded in the after market world.

I do all forms of racing. Sprints is the only thing a GT3-RS is good at. It’s Slow at QM. It’s a a snail at roll racing. It’s too stiff for targa.

it’s a one trick wonder really. I have better brakes, better suspension, far more power and torque. Just need to finish my Areo.

992 would be way too slow and frustrating. It takes time for stuff to be released. It would take two years to do a 992. I’m ready to go now.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb
I don't want to derail this thread... but I wanted to just comment that my GTS with Soul HF cats and Vektor headers is LOUD! Honestly I would not want it any louder, its almost embarrassing in sport mode now when I let off the throttle I am guessing it mostly came from the HF cats so I am very surprised you didn't notice a difference with your Akra cats.
Soul Performance (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
I don't want to derail this thread... but I wanted to just comment that my GTS with Soul HF cats and Vektor headers is LOUD! Honestly I would not want it any louder, its almost embarrassing in sport mode now when I let off the throttle I am guessing it mostly came from the HF cats so I am very surprised you didn't notice a difference with your Akra cats.
I think the Akra cats are significantly larger and a higher cell count, 300cpi vs. 200cpi. So denser core, but larger to potentially offset some of the additional pressure drop from the denser cell count. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Akra cats are 300 cell count and would therefore act as a bit more of a muffler.

Quick Reply: Mod Madness GTS 4.0 Litre Twin Turbo.