Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recent Costco experiences with TPMS install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Any recent Costco experiences with TPMS install?

I was searching old posts about tire installation at Costco that included replacing the original TPMS. One poster said that he brought his own to the tire center and had no problem with Costco installing them.

Anyway, I went to my local Costco store to double check since I am planning to install new tires. First, the counterperson said that Costco does not sell TPMS specific for my car (a 2012.5 991.1) and that they don't allow customers to bring their own replacement parts. Just checking if that has been your experience as a Costco member or whether this desk person was creating policies of his own.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:12 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
I was searching old posts about tire installation at Costco that included replacing the original TPMS. One poster said that he brought his own to the tire center and had no problem with Costco installing them.

Anyway, I went to my local Costco store to double check since I am planning to install new tires. First, the counterperson said that Costco does not sell TPMS specific for my car (a 2012.5 991.1) and that they don't allow customers to bring their own replacement parts. Just checking if that has been your experience as a Costco member or whether this desk person was creating policies of his own.
I have nothing against Costco, fine for buying stuff in bulk. I would not permit them to touch my wheels with their tire changing setup and tech's that have little experience with the 911. If you are trying to be cost efficient do some research and find a good indy. I don't answer this question in this manner because I have CL's, the same goes for 5 lug setup.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 08:43 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

5 years changing tires with them for the winter and then back, no issues. Prices way too competitive to ignore, particularly Cup2s

I can tell that the "rules" vary a whole lot depending on which store or even who you talk to. I never replaced the tpms, so I can't answer that.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 446 Posts

I've used Costco for tires on my last three Porsches as well as my truck and the girlfriend's car. Never had any issues or problems.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

used Costco for tires on my Toyota, Honda and Subaru. looking forward to using them for my 991. they are very good and have machine which will change a tire on wheels up to 21 inches.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:32 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Most TPMS are generic and installer programs to the specific vehicle at time of installation. Recently had Discount Tire install a set and they forgot to program. Had to go back, drop pressure below 15psi, program. Worked fine after.

it’s a generic pressure gauge, no reason to get OEM.
I bet even Porsche buy generic and then program.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:19 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Most TPMS are generic and installer programs to the specific vehicle at time of installation. Recently had Discount Tire install a set and they forgot to program. Had to go back, drop pressure below 15psi, program. Worked fine after.

it’s a generic pressure gauge, no reason to get OEM.
I bet even Porsche buy generic and then program.
I posted on a different thread, may as well post it here. As far as I know, this brand and model number is the one that Porsche uses for the 991.1. It is already pre-programmed. Amazon vendor sells them for around $50 each.

Anyway, still nobody commented about Costco and TPMS install. So, just going to go to an indi.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:18 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

With the dealerships’ prices being competitive, I prefer them. Be aware that now the dealerships also offer roadside hazard insurance through Tire Rack, so this has become an easier choice. Also, if you have centerlocks, Costco will not touch your car. The other consideration is that if you have Ceramic breaks. With PCCBs, I’m always paranoid that they will be damaged.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Taiwanese
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

TPMS install is too easy when the tire is off the rim. Just thread it through and tighten the nut. Between install TPMS and program, program is harder and takes more time.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

As a side note. For anyone who cares, Costco just started a promotion on Michelins (150 off)
r00t61 (11-23-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:10 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Taiwanese
TPMS install is too easy when the tire is off the rim. Just thread it through and tighten the nut. Between install TPMS and program, program is harder and takes more time.
Good to know! I currently have some wheels in the garage without tires on and some separate TPMS sensors.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 PM
poorshoeless
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Result of using Costco in Cols Ohio for my AP2..I found it when I went to pickup after they called it was done.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by poorshoeless
Result of using Costco in Cols Ohio for my AP2..I found it when I went to pickup after they called it was done.

What is Costco doing about it? New rims?
Old 11-23-2019, 08:06 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Taiwanese
Well, sort of. The instructions are a little tricky.

First the valve stem has to be screwed to the sensor and left loose so the stem can slide in the slot in sensor.

Then the sensor gets fitted to the wheel and held against the barrel of the rim while the nut is tightened with a torque wrench.

They tighten in two stages due to the nut design. First the whole stem turns and locks the stem to the sensor in the final position. There is a plastic snap ring that breaks at that point.

Then the nut gets torqued to final values securing the assembly and compressing the rubber gasket against the rim. Many tire shops have a special torque limiting nut driver instead of a inch lb wrench.

sr5959 (11-24-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:46 PM
poorshoeless
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
What is Costco doing about it? New rims?
They only offer to refinished them....... I wouldn't have been so pissed if they would let me know about the damage when they call me to pick up my rims and you would think they would stop after damaging one...no, damaged three out of four...

Quick Reply: Any recent Costco experiences with TPMS install?