Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recent Costco experiences with TPMS install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019 | 11:45 PM
r00t61
Pro

Originally Posted by visitador
As a side note. For anyone who cares, Costco just started a promotion on Michelins (150 off)
I just picked up a set of Pilot SPort 4s to replace my N0 Pirellis per this sale.

I also picked up a set of OE TPM sensors from Tirerack to have Costco install them.

Though, poorshoeless's post is giving me some pause...
Old 11-24-2019 | 12:55 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r00t61
I just picked up a set of Pilot SPort 4s to replace my N0 Pirellis per this sale.

I also picked up a set of OE TPM sensors from Tirerack to have Costco install them.

Though, poorshoeless's post is giving me some pause...
Double check with your center whether they are willing to install the monitors. The center that I was planning to use won't let me bring my own and they don't sell ones that work for Porsches. Hence my original post
Old 11-24-2019 | 01:18 AM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poorshoeless
Result of using Costco in Cols Ohio for my AP2..I found it when I went to pickup after they called it was done.

I live in Columbus and was going to buy Michelin’s for my c2s at my local costco. Not after seeing this though. Which Costco was it? Plain city/Dublin, Easton, or Polaris????
Old 11-24-2019 | 01:55 AM
r00t61
Pro

Double check with your center whether they are willing to install the monitors. The center that I was planning to use won't let me bring my own and they don't sell ones that work for Porsches. Hence my original post
I'll be there tomorrow, I'll ask the guys in person
Old 11-24-2019 | 05:43 PM
poorshoeless
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
I live in Columbus and was going to buy Michelin’s for my c2s at my local costco. Not after seeing this though. Which Costco was it? Plain city/Dublin, Easton, or Polaris????
Polaris....this was a few years ago...maybe that tech is no longer there and perhaps they have better equipment now...
Old 11-24-2019 | 05:59 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by poorshoeless
Polaris....this was a few years ago...maybe that tech is no longer there and perhaps they have better equipment now...
move been using the plain city Dublin location for my s5 and odyssey, and they do good work so far. I’m sure every wheel/tire place is dependent on operator.

interestingly, the quote I got from the local Porsche dealer for new michelin winter tires was better than Costco or tire rack. Dealers are starting to get competitive in this business area .
Old 11-25-2019 | 11:44 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RS911
With the dealerships’ prices being competitive, I prefer them. Be aware that now the dealerships also offer roadside hazard insurance through Tire Rack, so this has become an easier choice. Also, if you have centerlocks, Costco will not touch your car. The other consideration is that if you have Ceramic breaks. With PCCBs, I’m always paranoid that they will be damaged.
Also...assuming you get service done at dealer, if you have a problem you know it will be sorted out asap . I couldn't imagine taking my 911 to Costco . To each his/her own.
Old 11-25-2019 | 07:53 PM
r00t61
Pro

Originally Posted by 911boy
Also...assuming you get service done at dealer, if you have a problem you know it will be sorted out asap . I couldn't imagine taking my 911 to Costco . To each his/her own.
So the last time I got my tires done at the dealer, they were very competitive, and I was in for the standard service anyway.

This time around, I asked for an estimate to get my TPMs replaced along with my tires, and they quoted me $600 per sensor - the same OE sensor that I found for $67 on Tirerack. At that price I'll take my chances with Costco.
Old 11-25-2019 | 08:00 PM
r00t61
Pro

So I spoke to the manager of the tire center of my local Costco (Mission Valley, San Diego).

He told me that Costco policy is not to install anything that they don't sell. This is apparently a regional policy, enacted to limit liability (probably CA-specific, since it's litigation central here) - he told me that when he worked for Costco in the midwest, they would install customer parts all the time without issue.

Nevertheless, he agreed to install the sensors that I bought from Tirerack, with the understanding that he couldn't be responsible for them if something went wrong - e.g., if the sensors wouldn't talk to the car ECU, etc. This seemed like a reasonable compromise, since I don't want to have to take the car somewhere else to install the sensors after I get the new tires put on.

Old 11-25-2019 | 08:10 PM
IMPorsche
Instructor

..... with the understanding that he couldn't be responsible for them if something went wrong - e.g., if the sensors wouldn't talk to the car ECU, etc.
I don't think any installer would be responsible if the sensor is not communicating, they will just tell you it doesn't work and to get a new one. And you would be expected to cover the cost to dismount and re-mount the tires. The only exception would be if you purchase the sensor from them.
Old 11-25-2019 | 09:13 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

So I spoke to the manager of the tire center of my local Costco (Mission Valley, San Diego).

He told me that Costco policy is not to install anything that they don't sell. This is apparently a regional policy, enacted to limit liability (probably CA-specific, since it's litigation central here) - he told me that when he worked for Costco in the midwest, they would install customer parts all the time without issue.

Nevertheless, he agreed to install the sensors that I bought from Tirerack, with the understanding that he couldn't be responsible for them if something went wrong - e.g., if the sensors wouldn't talk to the car ECU, etc. This seemed like a reasonable compromise, since I don't want to have to take the car somewhere else to install the sensors after I get the new tires put on.
Thanks for the update. I decided to just use a local indi for this. They agreed to install the sensors for free. After all that was factored in, It was about $130 more than Costco. The main issue I have with Costco is that they said "maybe yes, maybe no" if they could supply the sensors. I wasn't going to risk arriving at the center and being told they don't have the correct sensors and, as you stated, they won't install parts that you bring to them. Not to say that I got this feeling that they would rather NOT work on Porsches.
Old 11-26-2019 | 10:18 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RS911
With the dealerships’ prices being competitive, I prefer them. Be aware that now the dealerships also offer roadside hazard insurance through Tire Rack, so this has become an easier choice. Also, if you have centerlocks, Costco will not touch your car. The other consideration is that if you have Ceramic breaks. With PCCBs, I’m always paranoid that they will be damaged.
maybe your dealership. Mine charged me 700 to swap out tires that I provided before taking delivery of my GT3.
Old 11-26-2019 | 11:59 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

So the last time I got my tires done at the dealer, they were very competitive, and I was in for the standard service anyway.

This time around, I asked for an estimate to get my TPMs replaced along with my tires, and they quoted me $600 per sensor - the same OE sensor that I found for $67 on Tirerack. At that price I'll take my chances with Costco.
Thats whacked. Something isn't right there. Nobody would charge $600/corner for sensor only.
Old 11-26-2019 | 12:53 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Thats whacked. Something isn't right there. Nobody would charge $600/corner for sensor only.
Check post #9 https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...s-sensors.html

Old 11-26-2019 | 10:21 PM
r00t61
Pro

The funny thing about it, I was originally quoted at $400/sensor. When I asked for clarification, stating that the price didn't seem correct (but without indicating whether I thought it was too high or too low) my service writer was very apologetic, saying that he'd made a mistake, and would requote me immediately.

Minutes later, the quote for $600/sensor hit my inbox.

Quick Reply: Any recent Costco experiences with TPMS install?