Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

S or GTS. personally i prefer the NA over the FI. Just a preference
Old 11-20-2019, 10:52 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Have you heard a .2 with high flow cats? It sounds pretty darn good to those of us that have them and your analogy is not accurate. And I am not sure what you mean in your sentence about non-linear acceleration since if you say it is well hidden how can it also very much be there? By the way, high flow cats allow a quicker spool so that is basically a non-issue - have you heard and driven what I am describing? Regardless, I am interested in hearing an unbiased opinion from the OP.
Hi Bob - I haven't heard no driven a turbo flat six with high flow cats. I'm not disputing that it would be an improvement over the factory setup, it makes logical sense that it would be. By the same token I can tinker with my NA motor and beat you badly in the sound department. Each and every time. Pound for pound, FI and NA motors sound worlds apart. Every turbo motor that I've ever driven has left me with different ratios of the same basic problem, lag and diminished induction sound. In my world this is everything and I'm not willing to accept compromises. But this is not about us and I completely respect your choice of cars.

The OP stated warranty that is about to expire and the need to "upgrade." As I, and others have pointed out, that is a solvable problem by buying an extended warranty.

If racing is involved and the need for performance trumps the characteristics of an NA setup, a turbo is absolutely a great next step, at least for a while. Soon the rolling batteries will win it all...in complete silence...pick your poison.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:01 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I should have said sound is subjective to a certain extent but if you get the chance to drive a .2 with high flow cats do so and let us know what you think. On the other hand, I have driven NA Lambos and those sound great with a modified exhaust, much better than the NA Porsches IMO, and they have the torque I need; the NA 3.8 Porsches do not have what I desire and I hope the OP can drive a few and report back since if so he may not be interested in an extended warranty and decide to step up as he said.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:08 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Hard to tell what's driving the upgrade other than warranty...which can be solved by getting an extended one.
Also good to know what your driving needs are (do you track and need the extra performance)?
I'm no fan of the tiny turbo motors in the non-GT 991.2 series (haven't driven a 992 yet).
In the sound department you'd give up the equivalent of a grand piano and settle for a entry level synth.
The non-linear acceleration in a 991.2 is well hidden and almost imperceptible but very much so there.
On the other hand, if you track and need performance gains, the benefits of a turbo would be great.
Best of luck either way.
You are totally wrong on the exhaust sound of the 991.2's. Get one with PSE, SC, and add either race carts or catless pipes, and the sound it's the best of the 911's. My C2S/X51 with careless puppies is the best sounding around, short of full race exhausts. Waaay better than my 991.1 C2S was, with its puny sounding stock PSE exhaust. Even the GT3 guys are impressed by this 991.2
Old 11-20-2019, 11:23 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

I should have said sound is subjective to a certain extent but if you get the chance to drive a .2 with high flow cats do so and let us know what you think. On the other hand, I have driven NA Lambos and those sound great with a modified exhaust, much better than the NA Porsches IMO, and they have the torque I need; the NA 3.8 Porsches do not have what I desire and I hope the OP can drive a few and report back since if so he may not be interested in an extended warranty and decide to step up as he said.
for the OP, read what Bob and others here are saying. You need to drive maybe a 991.1 GTS and base 991.2, T or others, and see what kind of power delivery you like. I’ve driven so many different 991’s recently, as I contemplate my next choice, and for me personally, I’ll take a NA car. The instant throttle response, sound and power delivery does it for me. On the other hand, the torque delivery of a FI car is fun and you can extract a lot more power for a reasonable cost. There is an option out there for everyone. The T is an interesting car, because it’s a base model, but you get the sport attributes standard, and it makes it more engaging and lively to drive. For me, it just wasn’t fast enough, and I didn’t want to deal with tuning. I drove a 991.2 GTS, and even though there is some turbo lag, and the turbos don’t really kick in until around 4K, but when it does, it pulls pretty damn hard. I also drove a new 992 S, and I’m telling you, the exhaust sound is much improved over the 991.2 and it pulls much harder than the previous generation. The HP numbers must be incorrect, because that S pulled much faster then any other 911 I have driven. Sorry, just wanted to give you a little insight of the power delivery differences.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

The peak torque on a 991.2 GTS starts at 2400 rpms, not 4000. Most cannot feel any lag, especially with high flow cats.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:43 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

The peak torque on a 991.2 GTS starts at 2400 rpms, not 4000. Most cannot feel any lag, especially with high flow cats.
You’re right Bob, and after I drove the GTS, I did look up the performance numbers to see when the peak TQ hit and was surprised why I didn’t feel it sooner. This was after driving a T and Cayman GTS(which by the way was a blast, but putting around you can really feel that 4-banger). The T, or base model engine, i really couldn’t feel any lag, it felt very much like a NA car. I think the high flow cats or test pipes would be a perfect add-on for a GTS. I can only imagine how good it would sound too.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Ken Harding
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you driven the 991.2? If not drive it first to see if you like it since it will be a lot different! A base car may be enough and if so you will have lots of choices under $90k.
Yes, I've driven the 991.2 base, GTS, and Turbo at Barber Motorsports Park. The GTS was my favorite car but obviously cost more than a S. I drive my current 911 at least a few times per week and plan to do the same with the next one. I don't keep cars long maybe2-5 years. I'm leaning toward the 991.2 S for the lower cost but the T is a good option as well. I do love the sound on my 3.4 with the sport exhaust though. I will miss that.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

The S is a nice compromise and you will still find a nice one under $90k...looking forward to what you wind up with.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my next 911