Sponsored by:

Retrofit Sport Chrono??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 AM
ddaudi
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Retrofit Sport Chrono??

I found what would be my perfect 991.2 C4S except it is missing Sport Chrono.
My understanding is that Sport Chrono is required to put the PDK into the most sporty mode.
I think Sport Chrono consists of the clock on the dash, the control buttons mounted on the steering wheel (see pic), and then of course the software that makes it work.
I've no need for the clock on the dash, but I'd like the control buttons and the software.
I'm guessing the control buttons could be added if the stock wiring harness happens to include the necessary wires, otherwise not. Or maybe replace steering wheel with one that includes the buttons?
I don't anticipate the dash clock does anything much and that the software is located somewhere else.
So could sport chrono be added to my dream car by adding the buttons and doing a software update?
I wouldn't mind adding the clock as well, just thinking it isn't necessary and would probably be more of a challenging mod.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

I recall reading about this not ago so I searched and found this thread that may help: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8674...rt-chrono.html
Old 11-11-2019, 07:08 PM
ddaudi
Instructor

Thanks for that pointer.
It provides some hope that a retrofit into a 991 is possible.
But I checked with BR Racing and they indicated that it has to be in the original build in order for the wiring harness to support it.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:33 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ddaudi
I found what would be my perfect 991.2 C4S except it is missing Sport Chrono.
My understanding is that Sport Chrono is required to put the PDK into the most sporty mode.
I think Sport Chrono consists of the clock on the dash, the control buttons mounted on the steering wheel (see pic), and then of course the software that makes it work.
I've no need for the clock on the dash, but I'd like the control buttons and the software.
I'm guessing the control buttons could be added if the stock wiring harness happens to include the necessary wires, otherwise not. Or maybe replace steering wheel with one that includes the buttons?
I don't anticipate the dash clock does anything much and that the software is located somewhere else.
So could sport chrono be added to my dream car by adding the buttons and doing a software update?
I wouldn't mind adding the clock as well, just thinking it isn't necessary and would probably be more of a challenging mod.

I believe there is more than just software. Active motor mounts I think are part of the sport chrono package. Tow dealers I have spoken with (Suncoast and my local dealer in Santa Barbara) say retrofitting sport chrono is not possible (or practical).
Old 11-12-2019, 08:16 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

PDK tune could resolve this... Anyone???
Old 11-12-2019, 08:27 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

On my 991.1, Normal is somewhat Lazy and Sport is PERFECT. Sport Plus is too aggressive for my tastes and completely unpractical IMO. Just my opinion though..... At Treffen a couple years ago, I was keeping up with GT cars and heavily modded other cars like a full Ruf tuned Cayman just fine in Sport mode.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
On my 991.1, Normal is somewhat Lazy and Sport is PERFECT. Sport Plus is too aggressive for my tastes and completely unpractical IMO. Just my opinion though..... At Treffen a couple years ago, I was keeping up with GT cars and heavily modded other cars like a full Ruf tuned Cayman just fine in Sport mode.
I really do not feel a difference between Sport & + on my car...it goes into Sport after I start it and stays there, all the time.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

For what it's worth Sport+ is great for track + PDK as it will hold revs and aggressively downshift but completely not practical for any sort of daily driving (and almost overkill for spirited canyon runs). It won't give you any additional HP or noise- with the GTS it will give you Sport PSM which allows you to keep stability control on but is basically a "track mode" (again wouldn't recommend for street / canyon runs). Basically I would say unless you are really going to track a car you aren't missing anything.
The following users liked this post:
e46_ema (12-08-2021)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdr911
For what it's worth Sport+ is great for track + PDK as it will hold revs and aggressively downshift but completely not practical for any sort of daily driving (and almost overkill for spirited canyon runs). It won't give you any additional HP or noise- with the GTS it will give you Sport PSM which allows you to keep stability control on but is basically a "track mode" (again wouldn't recommend for street / canyon runs). Basically I would say unless you are really going to track a car you aren't missing anything.
I forgot to mention that mine is a manual GTS, Targa of course. I like the pops & crackles though so Sport is fine as it is.
The following users liked this post:
goldduster (06-17-2020)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I forgot to mention that mine is a manual GTS, Targa of course. I like the pops & crackles though so Sport is fine as it is.
Yeah for Manual Sport Chrono is basically worthless unless you want a manual clock on your dashboard.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdr911
Yeah for Manual Sport Chrono is basically worthless unless you want a manual clock on your dashboard.
It came standard on the GTS and at first I liked the clean dash but I was not willing to get the 4S; however, it has grown on me and I like the steering wheel mode switch as well as how they look customized in Miami Blue. But there are other things one gets with SC besides a clock.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:52 PM
ddaudi
Instructor

I'm not concerned about not getting the dynamic motor mounts that come with the factory option.
I do want the option to track the car so I'd like to have access to the Sport+ PDK mode.
Seems silly that it cannot be added because a car is missing a wiring harness so the necessary buttons can't be connected.
But that seems to be the case unless there is some other way to tell the PDK to go into that mode.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Was this issue ever resolved one way or the other?
Old 06-18-2020, 10:53 AM
ddaudi
Instructor

My resolution was to pass on the car without Sport Chrono and buy one that had it. It is great/essential on track, but I agree it is not needed otherwise.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default I like clocks

Plus i put mine in sport plus all the time. Unless in the twisties I turn the pdcc off. On the freeway ill also turn off the sports exhaust. I have the third radiator and have to think the 2 mpg penalty in sports plus is worth running 20 degrees cooler. Without the sc and the third radiator this would not be possible. On a side note my .1 S gets much better mileage for my driving style than my new 19 golf R (which I bought for better mpg). Green fail I guess. I wonder if for certain driving style turbos burn more fuel.

Quick Reply: Retrofit Sport Chrono??