991.2 SportDesign (ducktail) spoiler, complete install

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by ZerOG
I bet that you’re right, it isn’t required.

But I also bet that Porsche’s design department asked the engineering department to test was was the lowest position that the SD wing needed to be efficient, just so it looks as good as possible.

the fact that the SD wing is both, higher and longer, also means that the pressure from the air is applied further back and provides more leverage (needs less downforce to provide the same amount of weight on the rear axle). 🤓
I am not so sure. That Gurney flap does a ton of downforce work.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If you can show me a rear picture where I can see the black curtain under the wing, I can tell you at which height it is.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you can show me a rear picture where I can see the black curtain under the wing, I can tell you at which height it is.
There is no close up of that.

I think is comes down to matching the downforce front to rear.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:07 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera

I appreciate the feedback, but I think its safe to say that if Porsche put settings in PWIZ for both the front bumper and sport design spoiler, that there must be a reason why. Perhaps for MPG? Perhaps wind tunnel data shows its more effective at the track? Who knows. But I would think they know something enough to put a setting in there. So if they have a setting for it.. I want it.

But I hear what your saying. Its just the sport design is so much longer and with KICK that it looks funny at the highest height it goes when going over 80mph. I can only assume my *** end is squatted down like a 500lb wrestler sitting on my wing or something. It just looks funky off the bat to me when it goes full up.

The stock spoiler with the touring lip looks fine to me. But the sport design is another animal looks and function wise with its added kick and length.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I appreciate the feedback, but I think its safe to say that if Porsche put settings in PWIZ for both the front bumper and sport design spoiler, that there must be a reason why. Perhaps for MPG? Perhaps wind tunnel data shows its more effective at the track? Who knows. But I would think they know something enough to put a setting in there. So if they have a setting for it.. I want it.

But I hear what your saying. Its just the sport design is so much longer and with KICK that it looks funny at the highest height it goes when going over 80mph. I can only assume my *** end is squatted down like a 500lb wrestler sitting on my wing or something. It just looks funky off the bat to me when it goes full up.

The stock spoiler with the touring lip looks fine to me. But the sport design is another animal looks and function wise with its added kick and length.
Yes, I agree, the SD spoiler looks much much nicer in the more horizontal position.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Mine is even higher than the SD and GT3t that, before reprogramming, when it was up I could only see through about the top three inches of my rear window.

it was just annoying to see it moving. Now, I can see it appear at the bottom of the window but it doesn’t block the head lamps of the cars behind me. That was distracting. Mind you, it was practical when driving in front of a truck.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Mine is even higher than the SD and GT3t that, before reprogramming, when it was up I could only see through about the top three inches of my rear window.

it was just annoying to see it moving. Now, I can see it appear at the bottom of the window but it doesn’t block the head lamps of the cars behind me. That was distracting. Mind you, it was practical when driving in front of a truck.
Yup. Here’s mine. Not the best angle. But I lost about 1/3rd my rear window when going over 80.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:28 PM
ZerOG
Racer

I don’t have a pic from inside but here’s the wing.

The following users liked this post:
jesm (09-15-2023)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 132 Posts

Targa GTS at a PCA event last weekend.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 186 Posts

Moshammer, correct? How do you like it? Got more pics from different angles?

Old 10-22-2019, 11:56 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by jingber
Targa GTS at a PCA event last weekend.

This is exactly what I meant. Now that we can see the curtain, it’s clear that the car is programmed with SD package and the wing is in the lowest position. 👍
BIGWORM (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 02:01 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

I like how you styled your car. I dig the color, emblem, roof rack and wing. Them rear wheels look flush too.

Nice setup!
ZerOG (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:08 AM
ZerOG
Racer

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I like how you styled your car. I dig the color, emblem, roof rack and wing. Them rear wheels look flush too.

Nice setup!
Thank you. I’m also surprised at how well the wheels fit. Although I’m selling them because I have two other sets, they do look very good and don’t require spacers.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That is a great looking wing.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:44 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 124 Posts
Default PERFECTION!

Thanks to the instructions shared by @Dom991.1 on post #26 of this thread, I was able to show my dealer exactly what needed to be done to my SD spoiler.

After about an hour updating the car's configuration, the spoiler now looks perfect! Way better in the new, lower position.

Interesting fact shared by my service advisor: If you don't re-program the car for the SD spoiler, in the higher position the third brake light will end up pointing up at an angle, instead of straight back as it should, so it is highly recommended that you get this reprogrammed if you self-installed the SD spoiler.

I would also like to add that before the adjustment, I could see a good portion of the spoiler from the rear view mirror and even higher if I had the sunroof open. Now I can only see a little of the top of the spoiler when I open the sunroof.

Also, before, I could feel some vibration on the back of the car a higher speeds, perhaps due to the added force, but now it feels much better.

And now this is how my 911T looks like:

And for reference, this is how the car looked before:

Last edited by alex_c; 10-25-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Updated the before pictures
ZerOG (10-25-2019)

Quick Reply: 991.2 SportDesign (ducktail) spoiler, complete install