Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your wheels are powdercoated black, please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 01:38 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Retired powdercoater here. Looks like a bad job to me. Flat can oxidize, but satin should be even and smooth. These are the satin on my wife’s Cayenne. They still look fresh 2 years later . The 2nd pic is Forgestar’s matte black after a year and a half

Old 09-22-2019, 02:58 AM
MOWE
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Retired powdercoater here. Looks like a bad job to me. Flat can oxidize, but satin should be even and smooth. These are the satin on my wife’s Cayenne. They still look fresh 2 years later . The 2nd pic is Forgestar’s matte black after a year and a half

Unless it’s a bad pic the bottom does not look good when I zoom. Does not looks the same
Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot12
I had just washed them. The inners looked a little dirty from a wipe down after a little break dust. I rewiped all of the wheels before taking pics. They are dust free.
Aww ok, it’s not a good job then. Ask them to redo them all.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 AM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 191 Posts

Here is my old satin black HRE, they were much more smooth.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Omega4
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor's
My mistake… ”Black Chrome” made by Turtle wax is no longer being manufactured. I switched to ArmorAll "Outlast - Trim & Plastic Restorer" on the wheel that was posted. The product takes that milky white coating off the black wheel surface and leaves a nice even satin finish. Application is with a rag and then a clean rag to remove excess and then buff. The product is actually made to restore black plastic bumpers and trim but I am using it on the powder coated wheel for the same purpose.

The wheels are Porsche stock flat black powder coated wheels. The ArmorAll Outlast leaves a nice satin finish on the black where I can then wash the brake dust off with a simple flush with the hose. I am real reluctant to use any type of soap or cleaner since I have seen multiple wheels discolored and corroded. I get a chance tomorrow, I will pull the car out and take a picture of the wheel in direct sunlight.

P.S. I use this product on all black plastic surfaces on the car to keep the plastic from oxidizing (windshield cowl, back valance, etc) and looking new.

Thor’s, I never thought to use this on the wheels and you make total sense...borderline genius! I’m going to give it a try on my black wheels today.
The following users liked this post:
Thor's (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Pilot12
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice and pics here folks. I am torn on how to handle this. I had such an issue the first time with these folks including making them buy me a new tire I don’t know what to do. Texted the owner the pictures yesterday politely asking his thoughts we no response. I let them have it so bad the first time that they might not want to deal with it. And to be honest, would make me nervous taking my wheels back there. it was one of the worst cluster F experiences that I ever had.

$500 is not fun to eat, but at least I got a new rear Tire out of it. Well, more like bought a new tire myself if I move on. Other option in town has been around forever, but also charge. $400 more than what I paid. Guess you get what you pay for and I usually live by this, but got me this time.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice and pics here folks. I am torn on how to handle this. I had such an issue the first time with these folks including making them buy me a new tire I don’t know what to do. Texted the owner the pictures yesterday politely asking his thoughts we no response. I let them have it so bad the first time that they might not want to deal with it. And to be honest, would make me nervous taking my wheels back there. it was one of the worst cluster F experiences that I ever had.

$500 is not fun to eat, but at least I got a new rear Tire out of it. Well, more like bought a new tire myself if I move on. Other option in town has been around forever, but also charge. $400 more than what I paid. Guess you get what you pay for and I usually live by this, but got me this time.
For a few dollars, I’d try the ArmorAll Outlast. Who knows... might just do the trick. How could it hurt?
Old 09-22-2019, 09:57 AM
Pilot12
Advanced

For a few dollars, I’d try the ArmorAll Outlast. Who knows... might just do the trick. How could it hurt?
I read that it says remove from painted surfaces immediately. Maybe powdercoat is different? Back in the days, I used back to black in plastic and it looked great, but over time I feel that it started to fade underneath when washed. Maybe the sun baked it? Not sure, but I’m tempted to try what you are doing. Just afraid of screwing them up even more. As of now, they are livable until I get them fixed. Trying to prolong though. Thanks for tip!!
The following users liked this post:
Thor's (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MOWE
Unless it’s a bad pic the bottom does not look good when I zoom. Does not looks the same
As I wrote, the bottom picture was the factory matte black after a year and a half, and the reason for re-doing.. Top one was 2 years after recoating
Old 09-22-2019, 12:29 PM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Good Sunday morning folks! As promised, below are a few pictures of the rim post application of ArmorAll Outlast. If anyone finds a better product to keep the black rims dressed, please pass it along. (yes, I really need to clean the inner rims of brake dust).

Old 09-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Pilot12
Advanced

Good Sunday morning folks! As promised, below are a few pictures of the rim post application of ArmorAll Outlast. If anyone finds a better product to keep the black rims dressed, please pass it along. (yes, I really need to clean the inner rims of brake dust).

Tried the stuff this morning and NIGHT and DAY difference. Great idea! Not sure on how dust attacks, but this stuff is great! Pictures don’t do justice, but look great in direct sunlight now.

The following 3 users liked this post by Pilot12:
MJG911 (09-22-2019), Scott in NC (08-15-2020), whiteducktail (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

I did not have very good luck with it on my Satin Black OEM 5 lugs as it left a white film on them but it might be because they are ceramic coated. It does work great on my wife's Silver wheels though and lasts about 3 weeks depending on the weather.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Pilot12
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I did not have very good luck with it on my Satin Black OEM 5 lugs as it left a white film on them but it might be because they are ceramic coated. It does work great on my wife's Silver wheels though and lasts about 3 weeks depending on the weather.
Bob, you are talking about the trim and plastic sealant correct? Not the brake dust repellant? Just curious because the brake dust repellant was just as you described when in tried on my black wheels. Stuff is awesome on silver or chrome.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Bob, you are talking about the trim and plastic sealant correct? Not the brake dust repellant? Just curious because the brake dust repellant was just as you described when in tried on my black wheels. Stuff is awesome on silver or chrome.
My bad, sorry. I just saw above that it appears there is another product called Outlast - I was referring to the brake dust repellent in a spray can.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:15 PM
MOWE
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
As I wrote, the bottom picture was the factory matte black after a year and a half, and the reason for re-doing.. Top one was 2 years after recoating
ahh. Missed that. Sorry

Quick Reply: If your wheels are powdercoated black, please advise.