Sponsored by:

DME report/ over revs

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts
Default DME report/ over revs Updated

Wondering if someone smarter than me can critique the over rev report on a car I'm looking at. This is from the PPI the current owner had done when he purchased it. this will be updated when I have a PPI done if I move forward. For some reason it doesn't seem to show current hours, just over rev hours. Keep in mind this is from 2 years ago, before the current owner bought the car. The rev's and hours have changed since then.

Please point out any concerns you may have. I do realize the hours are high for the low miles?? The current owner has put about 6,000 miles on the car since then. Car has a little over 16k miles on it now.

I'll post the current DME when that is completed. Thanks guys

Update, I posted the new DME below.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 09-14-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add attachment
Old 09-07-2019, 06:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

This is a very bizarre report. The car has an average mph under 4? That's nucking futs. For that reason alone, I'd pass and not spend the money on a PPI.

Now, if the seller is willing to take the car to a Porsche dealership, and obtain a new and real DME report, you may reconsider and repost it here.

I'd want to see Total Operating Hours, too.

Range 1s and 2s are fine/normal. Range 3s are possible, and undesirable and a gray area for Porsche. 4s and above are a "no-no" and should be passed on especially when there are so many better cars available.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (09-09-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is a very bizarre report. The car has an average mph under 4? That's nucking futs. For that reason alone, I'd pass and not spend the money on a PPI.

Now, if the seller is willing to take the car to a Porsche dealership, and obtain a new and real DME report, you may reconsider and repost it here.

I'd want to see Total Operating Hours, too.

Range 1s and 2s are fine/normal. Range 3s are possible, and undesirable and a gray area for Porsche. 4s and above are a "no-no" and should be passed on especially when there are so many better cars available.

Yes, strange indeed. I just included the pdf of the offending page. The current owner bought this car with this condition. The hours and mileage do not add up. I did see a similar DME report using the same software while searching on RL and it had the same hour/ mileage issue as well. I think you're right and the seller needs to get a proper DME before I can proceed. Unfortunately I've been communicating with the seller for two weeks about the car and he has been very helpful so far but I found this report in my spam folder this morning, quite the surprise.

here is a similar one to this, post 26 https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1076732-over-rev-2.html
Old 09-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

I have been trying to educate myself on the whole range thing. I read this article here: http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Do I have this correct that this car has a total of 538 range 1 ignitions throughout its lifetime (at that time)? If so that's pretty good. How bad is 2 ignitions in range 4, If it was hundreds of hours ago? I don't buy the car had 4000 hours on it with 10k miles, but I guess it is possible. I'm just looking for answers as this car is nicely spec'd and I don't want to walk away from a perfectly fine car for a nothing burger. However I would, happily if it has legitimate issues and will difficult to sell down the road.

I'm scheduled to go meet the seller in 2 weeks and make arrangements for a PPI after that. This was all set up before I found this DME report in my spam email yesterday. I contacted the seller yesterday and asked to have a DME pulled before I get there later this month, haven't heard back yet.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I recommend watching this video for all necessary questions on DME. As far as how bad 2 ignitions are in range 4, it probably hasn't done any damage if the car is still fine and it has been hundreds of hours. The issue is that down the line when you go to sell it, you are going to have issues selling it because people will be asking these same questions. Granted, I know of people who have successfully sold cars with range 6 over revs and the new buyer just wanted a reduction in price.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I recommend watching this video for all necessary questions on DME. As far as how bad 2 ignitions are in range 4, it probably hasn't done any damage if the car is still fine and it has been hundreds of hours. The issue is that down the line when you go to sell it, you are going to have issues selling it because people will be asking these same questions. Granted, I know of people who have successfully sold cars with range 6 over revs and the new buyer just wanted a reduction in price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgOAWMjZLQ
Good video about the differences in the rev zones and how they differ in different models.

I would pass on ignitions in 4th and above just because Porsche could refuse engine warranty. I wouldn’t want to take the risk.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:04 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

How do you over-rev a car with a PDK? I thought that the transmission would not allow it on down-shifts and that the rev limiter would prevent it under power.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by verstraete
How do you over-rev a car with a PDK? I thought that the transmission would not allow it on down-shifts and that the rev limiter would prevent it under power.
You can still get range 1 and 2's. Just not beyond that. Unless you have a tune which raises the rev limiter.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgOAWMjZLQ
I think you are right. The number of ignitions and the time between then and the DME is good, on paper. The funny thing is the number of hours don't make any sense. It shows at least 4000+ hours on the clock at 10,000 mikes. Theoretically possible, but highly unlikely. Then it shows the range 3 and 4 at 1600 hrs. That's 2400 hrs between the incident and and the DME report. At that time the car was only 4 years old. 4000 is a LOT! That's a full time job, for 2 years idling or driving. That's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 50 weeks a year, plus 2 weeks vacation That's a lot of work for a Cabriolet! Actually a full time seasonal job, for 4 years.

Fortunately, the seller got back to me and has agreed to get another DME report before I go any further. This will help clear up some of the confusion with it.

I do agree the range 4 is a problem and while probably insignificant, a future buyer may take issue with it. It will likely take a hit on resale even if there is never any problems related to it. Even with the DME clarified and making more sense' I'll have to give it some thought before I go any further, which sucks because I have been looking for this car for a year and checks all my boxes.

Originally Posted by Jack F
Good video about the differences in the rev zones and how they differ in different models.

I would pass on ignitions in 4th and above just because Porsche could refuse engine warranty. I wouldn’t want to take the risk.
The car is a 2013 and out of warranty. I was going to self insure, especially due to the fact these are so reliable. I'm not sure if an aftermarket warranty would cover it with the range 4's though.

Originally Posted by verstraete
This car is a manual gearbox. The PDK is just listed on the DME as a module that's not installed.

The software that took the DME is Autologic. It didn't even list the current hours on the vehicle which isn't helpful. I'm curious if anyone knows which is a better, more complete diagnostic software that I can recommend to the seller to have a service center use?
Old 09-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F

Warranty?? It's a 13!
Old 09-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
Warranty?? It's a 13!

Warranty is 4yr/50,000 unless there's something I'm missing.

The current owner bought it from another manufacturer's dealer. Perhaps because Porsche didn't want it because they couldn't CPO it.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Here, is the new Current DME report. It looks like the Autologic software misplaces the decimal point. The new one is a Durametric scan, I'll have to figure out how to post it. Makes it about 26 mph average. Not great but better. It probably saw some traffic earlier in its life. Does anyone know if the clutch can be visually inspected for wear during a PPI?

Operating hours 675.73

Range 1 698/462.93h

Range 2 37/408.79h

Range 3 8/161.22h

Range 4 2/161.22h

Range 5 0/0.00h

Range 6 0/0.00h
Old 09-14-2019, 10:08 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Did dealer share the RPM for each of the ranges?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Did dealer share the RPM for each of the ranges?
No, this is from a private sale. I believe range 3 is 7700-7900, range 4 is 7900-8400. The car looks to have over 450 hours on it since the event.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

As far as I know, clutch can not be inspected during PPI. That is going to be up to the person doing the PPI to road test it and see what it feels like.

Quick Reply: DME report/ over revs