Sponsored by:

Installed GT3RS side skirts on my GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by Arxigos
still not sold huh? mine are coming in tomorrow, I'll post pics when i install them. here are better pics with the skirts installed from another member in case you missed it

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1165...1-c2s-cab.html
Woah... definitely missed those. 99% now.

Just curious to see what they look like unpainted. I guess worst case I can get them wrapped in satin vinyl when car goes in for PPF next month.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by slocumda@yahoo.com
For those who can not deal with the gap between the side skirt and body these pictures show a solution you might want to consider. I'm of the opinion that any heating of or manipulation of the skirt to conform more closely to the body of the car is not going to work. So my next thought is to fill the gap which I did using Midnight Black ColorFast Tile & Grout Caulk. This was relatively easy and did a good job of making the gap disappear. The caulk matches the skirt quite closely in both color and sheen. Obviously, if you want to take the skirt off in the future you'll have some difficulty but clean up and replacement should not be a big deal. Hope this helps, Doug

Huge improvement and looks great but I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. Was it necessary to use masking tape?
2. It appears toward the front of the car where you stopped with the caulk there are a couple of small hole/air gaps in the caulk. Did you try to hit it once more with the caulk before it dried?

Theres no doubt i'm doing the same i'm just curious if I(or my painter which applies caulk on a daily basis) can get it a tad closer to perfect.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:40 AM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

#1 Since I don't believe you can run a perfect bead of caulk for this application it is better to use tape in order to keep the majority of caulk off the car and skirt. You want to get a good amount of caulk into the joint and clean the excess off and tool the joint to make a flat top on the caulk, instead of a dip that you may get by using your finger, especially in the wider portions of the joint. Be sure you remove the tape carefully right after you are done with tooling the caulk. After leaving the first application to dry over night I repeated the process a second time to improve the finished product.
2# You are correct there are couple of small holes present. No, you should wait for the caulk to dry before making any additional repairs. The holes can be easily filled.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
solidwater (05-13-2023)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:55 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

#1 Since I don't believe you can run a perfect bead of caulk for this application it is better to use tape in order to keep the majority of caulk off the car and skirt. You want to get a good amount of caulk into the joint and clean the excess off and tool the joint to make a flat top on the caulk, instead of a dip that you may get by using your finger, especially in the wider portions of the joint. Be sure you remove the tape carefully right after you are done with tooling the caulk. After leaving the first application to dry over night I repeated the process a second time to improve the finished product.
2# You are correct there are couple of small holes present. No, you should wait for the caulk to dry before making any additional repairs. The holes can be easily filled.
Hope this helps.
Definitely helps tyvm!
Old 10-16-2019, 02:32 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 682 Posts

If any of you 3RS skirt converts want to sell your clean GTS/4S skirts shoot me a PM. Tri-state area is a plus.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 10-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:59 PM
gwporsche
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

The link the to C2S Cab above is my car. I ended up using body panel gasket for small gaps. I highly recommend using them as it looks cleaner and less messy to use than caulking.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:00 PM
gwporsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Woah... definitely missed those. 99% now.

Just curious to see what they look like unpainted. I guess worst case I can get them wrapped in satin vinyl when car goes in for PPF next month.
They look satin vinyl, but would be better primered than wrapped. best route is to go body color painted.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
If any of you 3RS skirt converts want to sell your clean GTS/4S skirts shoot me a PM. Tri-state area is a plus.
PM an offer.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:14 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gwporsche
The link the to C2S Cab above is my car. I ended up using body panel gasket for small gaps. I highly recommend using them as it looks cleaner and less messy to use than caulking.
Where does one buy some body panel gaskets and how exactly is it held in place?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by eysa
Where does one buy some body panel gaskets and how exactly is it held in place?

Yes, what are body panel gaskets and where do you get them? Also, you have pics?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 AM
gwporsche
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yes, what are body panel gaskets and where do you get them? Also, you have pics?

my body shop had them on hand, they look like long pieces of rubber.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:01 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Hope this helps.

Can you point me in the direction of the Midnight Black ColorFast Tile & Grout Caulk please.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

my body shop had them on hand, they look like long pieces of rubber.
I am assuming the rubber gasket runs the full length of the skirt?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by eysa
Can you point me in the direction of the Midnight Black ColorFast Tile & Grout Caulk please.
Google is your friend....numerous places to buy such as: https://www.masterwholesale.com/lati...ile-caulk.html
Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 AM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me know if this link does not work please.

Master Wholesale Inc.

Quick Reply: Installed GT3RS side skirts on my GTS