Sponsored by:

Are my track tires done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 02:31 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Opiyum
I just moved up from the novice run group so I suspect I have more learning to do before I jump into a Hoosier R7, right? Also I don’t have a trailer or extra vehicle right now in any case.

I’m getting mpsc2’s but debating between the track connect or N1 spec versions. Any recommendations between these two?
I have N1s just monitor my tire pressures before and after with a gauge and check in car TPMS during sessions. You will get the hang of where to have your tires at.
The following users liked this post:
Opiyum (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Yes I was. Do you know what a new tire looks like.?Do those look anything like a tire in good condition. I guess you were not joking though. Holy cow. Yes, new tires are needed. Best of luck with the new set.
I thought the OP was trolling.....still not sure he isn't
Old 08-23-2019, 05:30 PM
Opiyum
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Yes I was. Do you know what a new tire looks like.?Do those look anything like a tire in good condition. I guess you were not joking though. Holy cow. Yes, new tires are needed. Best of luck with the new set.
Yes, I realized these were not in good condition for sure. My only experience with tires is having them go bald so I just didn't understand what I was looking at here. Not trolling; just super new to performance driving! I'll ask a ton more stupid questions I'm sure but I'll only ask each of them once. :-)
Old 08-23-2019, 05:42 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I just moved up from the novice run group so I suspect I have more learning to do before I jump into a Hoosier R7, right? Also I don’t have a trailer or extra vehicle right now in any case.

I’m getting mpsc2’s but debating between the track connect or N1 spec versions. Any recommendations between these two?
In my opinion, it's never to early to move to dedicated track tires as long as you are driving well. It's evident you are burning up your stock tires. Dedicated track tires like R7's are not good to drive to the track because their life span is based on heat cycles and they are more prone to punctures than a street tire - so more fragile on the road. So maybe try a set of Cup tires, just don't expect more than one season out of them. I would definitely run them on a spare set of wheels and swap out the night before however. Save your pretty wheels for the street, buy beater ones for the track days, they can even be smaller than your streets (say 19" off a base Carrera 991). Smaller wheels = lower tire prices and actually lowers the car a little which is good. Yes, your speedo will be off - who cares at the track?

Don't bother with an N1 spec tire, wasting your money to burn up at the track. The "N" Spec is a Porsche designator in that it has special parameters built to Porsche engineer's specs. The thing is, you and I don't know what that parameter is. It could be for a smoother ride, it could be for more wet grip. Anything like that is not needed for a track day tire.

Just wait until you need better braking <G> It's a slippery slope.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Personally, I don't consider my track tires done until they look like this:

thesaintusa (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

Might be ok for autocross, but definitely not ok for the track.

In all seriousness, what were you doing when you noticed the tires in that shape? i.e. how fast were you going / cornering prior to that picture?

Definitely getting max value out of those tires.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Ha, yeah, would not really use those on the track. We have our autocrosses on a 128-acre paved parcel, so tracks are about 1.2 miles long. We had an open AX day for instructors, blew 'em out that that. They were pretty worn at the start, but the last session, 30 minutes of continuous laps, did them in. RE71-Rs, so when they start to go, they go fast!

Hey, they still have half their tread left, it's just all on the inside half!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:27 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Ha, yeah, would not really use those on the track. We have our autocrosses on a 128-acre paved parcel, so tracks are about 1.2 miles long. We had an open AX day for instructors, blew 'em out that that. They were pretty worn at the start, but the last session, 30 minutes of continuous laps, did them in. RE71-Rs, so when they start to go, they go fast!
Impressive.

I had a set of A008s start to look like that when I used to autocross my RX-7. But that is next level damage from autocross..... 30 hot laps is not just autocross hahaha. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

NP. The pavement is in horrible shape, so it chews up tires more than a typical AX venue. Also, all sorts of pot holes, drainage swale crossings, etc. to add to the challenge and fun!

When I went to Discount Tire for new ones, I went in and told the guy I was getting a bit of shimmy, so could he check my tires out and see if anything was wrong with them.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:39 PM
Opiyum
AutoX

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Might be ok for autocross, but definitely not ok for the track.

In all seriousness, what were you doing when you noticed the tires in that shape? i.e. how fast were you going / cornering prior to that picture?

Definitely getting max value out of those tires.
I was trying to drive as best and as fast as I could @ The Ridge Motorsports Park.

2.5 miles, 16 turns with 300’ of elevation change. I'm able to get to ~ 130mph on the front strait but I suspect the long carousel turn #6 is to blame. https://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/road-course

By the end of the day I was doing a decent job of staying on the edge of traction during several of the turns.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

I'd consider a driving school as well to give PSM a break (no turning it off, just needing it less). I did that, my tire and break pad life expectancy improved significantly.
Opiyum (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Opiyum
AutoX

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I'd consider a driving school as well to give PSM a break (no turning it off, just needing it less). I did that, my tire and break pad life expectancy improved significantly.
I've only been driving with Hooked on Driving and the PNWR Porsche club. Both have excellent instructors. I didn't notice the tires till the way home otherwise I would have asked at the track.

My rear brakes and tires seem fine still so I don't think leaning on PSM too much yet. I'm driving in sport plus.. I'm sure PSM is kicking in when I clearly go over the line into a slide but not sure how much other than that. One of my instructors did suggest I try with it off to learn what about what the car is doing for me a little better.. I'm planning to do that but didn't want to rush into it just yet. :-)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No disrespect to instructors, I've met great and not so great ones, the professional assistance you receive on a proper driving school is quite different. I've done the PSDS about 7 times, the last 3 RSR, and I'm still learning a lot every time I go there.
I would NOT turn off stability control on a high powered street car. I find it odd an instructor saying that, when your safety should come first regardless. Well, I spun 2x in my first track day and got my solo sticker (under a lot of protest, against my will) just after it, so what do I know?
The following 2 users liked this post by John Mclane:
Freddie Two Bs (08-24-2019), Opiyum (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Opiyum
AutoX

Originally Posted by John Mclane
No disrespect to instructors, I've met great and not so great ones, the professional assistance you receive on a proper driving school is quite different. I've done the PSDS about 7 times, the last 3 RSR, and I'm still learning a lot every time I go there.
I would NOT turn off stability control on a high powered street car. I find it odd an instructor saying that, when your safety should come first regardless. Well, I spun 2x in my first track day and got my solo sticker (under a lot of protest, against my will) just after it, so what do I know?
My first track day was at PSDS in Birmingham @ Barber Motorsports part. It was excellent and I'm planning to do the two day next. His suggestion about traction control came with additional safety tips I didn't mention. Like don't go fast and focus on the slower safer corners with decent off track area.. but yes, point well taken. Not a safe thing to do for sure.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:53 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My first track day was at PSDS in Birmingham @ Barber Motorsports part. It was excellent and I'm planning to do the two day next. His suggestion about traction control came with additional safety tips I didn't mention. Like don't go fast and focus on the slower safer corners with decent off track area.. but yes, point well taken. Not a safe thing to do for sure.
That's great you done that. The first course is great, but has a lot of stuffing and people not so interested in driving but taking selfies. The second is a huge leap. The RSR is awesome. You will, on that one, drive caymans wo traction control with 80 psi on the rears on a dry closed course, mini-track. Then you will learn (or try to in my case) to control a nearly uncontrollable car with the purpose to keep on going. Lots of tire carnage.
The feedback on the track is almost depressing, as they are perfectionists. But I did learn how to get the car rolling to point to where I want. On that track I barely use PSM. Follow their lead and you will become a safer and faster driver and still have lots of fun. With that, all the equipment will last longer.
Opiyum (08-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Are my track tires done?