Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDCC or RAS - if you could only pick one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Personally, neither. Both add weight and complexity and put a computer further between the driver and road.
So does ABS.

But I wouldn't want a car without it for a daily commute.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:15 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by pmiddy
Targa 4 GTS. So appreciate the advice - why do you say that? (newbie - apologize for my ignorance)
AWD 911s feel more like a grand tourer than the more nimble RR 911s. If I was to choose, rather than lean it more towards the middle, I would choose options to make it further complement in their relevant aspects.

PDCC complements the grand touring aspects of the AWDs and make it an even more compliant and comfortable ride.

RAS brings out the better handling attributes of the RR 911s to make it feel more precise at turns and corners.

Make no mistake, both still handle like a dream, no negativity here. Response, acceleration, braking and turning are evidently present in as their DNA, neither are by no means slow, sluggish, substandard.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:35 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

I have had both (and currently have both SPASM/PDCC and RAS on my 2018 GTS, my previous two 991.1S’s had PASM/PDCC and SPASM/PDCC, respectively). I would order PDCC before RAS. Love both but would rather have the better ride and flat cornering over RAS, especially if you don’t track the car.

Both are awesome, though - I am glad that I ordered them.
The following users liked this post:
LWG (06-04-2020)
Old 08-21-2019, 12:45 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
So does ABS.

But I wouldn't want a car without it for a daily commute.
Without getting off topic, I have plenty of cars without ABS. Great technology but I am not reliant on it either. I have driven cars with it and without it daily.

Elaborating on my prior post and reasoning for my opinion.

As far as RAS, I don’t recall exactly but I believe it adds nearly 40lbs to the rear of the car. Those actuators are $2k+ a piece to replace. Guys with GT3’s have had some fail. There is a rubber belt inside of them that controls steering angle.

Does it make the the car faster on the track yes. Could I sense a difference on a test drive no. PDK makes the car faster too, also at the expense of driver involvement.

PDCC involves an additional hydraulic system, pump, reservoir, heat exchanger, maintenance etc, This adds another 45 lbs to the car which much of the weight again in the rear. It makes the car handle flatter.

Bad options? No. Do I want them? Not really.

I considered RAS but in the end I wanted a more analog feel and less electronic controls.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Interesting that you could not sense a difference in a test drive. In my GT3T, I simply turned left from an intersection onto a 5 freeway onramp recently and my friend in the front seat let out an audible "woah, holy (stuff)" when I turned. Not because I accelerated hard onto the ramp (because I did not) but because he could not believe how precisely the car turned. I may notice the difference between an RAS-equipped car and a non-RAS equipped car more than others because I have my GTS which does not have it. Although its turning radius is acceptable, it is pedestrian and quite luxury sedan-like in comparison to the GT3.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO RAS and PDCC are the two options that are most worth having and give the best bang for the $.

You’re getting a sportscar, right? Blingy wheels: $1,000s, possibly worse ride and handling. Leather sun visor, Lizard Green rev counter and a couple of Porsche embossed crests: $1,000s, still the same car but probably worth less on trade-in. Personalised illuminated doorsills and document holder in carbon: $1,000s and you’ll never get it back.

RAS: Improved handling and manoeuvring, safer at speed. PDCC: better handling and grip at the same time as more comfort. Yours for ~$5k the pair. Bargain!

I don’t really buy the argument about “computerising” the car or “spoiling the purity”. A basic 911 with no options has computers running the engine, braking and steering before you even look at anything else. It’s a computer with wheels..
Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I drove cars with and without PDCC and RAS and I optioned RAS since I did not notice much of a difference with the former but did with the latter, and I could have had both but I did not see a reason to spend money on something that did not provide a benefit. Some do say they could tell a difference with PDCC but if you are not going to track and don't mind a little body roll I say skip it but as any option goes you should try and experience it. In regards to comfort a lot depends on the roads you frequent along with tire pressures.
Yep, same situation here.

DaveGee
Old 06-03-2020, 09:56 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,388 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Question for the board or bored. Does anyone know why Porsche forces you to add RAS when you spec PDCC?? I feel like it's just two more things that add more weight & require more maintenance.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

I've read a lot on here about PDCC and RAS and I realize that this is subjective to a degree, but if you could pick one only - what would it be?
My build is a 991.2 Targa GTS and it is already getting up there in $$.
I am personally not going to track the car, but I enjoy spirited driving here and there. I live in a major city/suburbs so even that is limited.
Thanks to everyone for their past and future advice!
I would take RAS and add a DSC Module, which is actually what I did!
GT3FZS (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 03:28 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I added both when I spec'd out the GTS, but if I had to do with just one it would be RAS, drive one on a twisty road back to back with non RAS and it's a freaking revelation, well worth it. For that matter, where I live, FAL is a must as well.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:46 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

I just have RAS on my C2 GTS. The RAS gives the car a smaller turn radius which is good for making tight u-turns and definitely makes the car more agile during cornering at high speeds. PDCC was not worth it for me. Besides, you can buy a DSC controller for $1,300 later down the road (https://www.dscsport.com/product/v3-...r-porsche-991/) for better ride and handling. I don't have one yet but it's supposedly super easy to install and takes less 5 minutes to do. I haven't tracked my car yet but the GTS handles quite nicely out of the box without PDCC. JMHO.
My next P-car will have neither as I want a more “raw” feeling machine.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 06-06-2020 at 04:03 PM.
GT3FZS (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I would take RAS and add a DSC Module, which is actually what I did!
This was my thought as well. You can always upgrade suspension down the road if needed but adding RAS is likely cost prohibitive.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:06 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

The best upgrade to the 991.2 cars in my opinion was the addition or RAS. For a handling stand point it is very desirable. After having cars with neither, RAS and both I can say the the PDCC is not valuable to me. If it was free great otherwise not a box I would check.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:30 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

I love my PDCC on my 13 C4S.

Could always do the DSC suspension unit to give you a bit more suspension control vs adding PDCC.

What's the $$ of PDCC now?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:10 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've read a lot on here about PDCC and RAS and I realize that this is subjective to a degree, but if you could pick one only - what would it be?
My build is a 991.2 Targa GTS and it is already getting up there in $$.
I am personally not going to track the car, but I enjoy spirited driving here and there. I live in a major city/suburbs so even that is limited.
Thanks to everyone for their past and future advice!
If you ever felt like the turning radius is small on this car, then get RAS, otherwise PDCC is way more useful on a Targa specially given its higher weight to reduce its higher body roll compared to coupes.

Last edited by Mojo.K; 06-06-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: PDCC or RAS - if you could only pick one?