Sponsored by:

Interior Door piece removable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I saw this picture online, which shows the piece (surrounds the memory buttons) I am referring to: does it look removable?

Bob the plastic piece you are referring to is a semi-attached part of the paneling (refer to attachment). The screws are for the memory control buttons. The plastic rivets are standoffs that are melted in to a mushroom head to create a flare to bond the plastic plate to the panel. The attachment with the red arrows appears to be a support frame to re-enforce the panel. There is a method or work around for removing the piece you are addressing. You need to use a forstner bit that is the same diameter as the plastic mushroom head by drilling out the material (flare) carefully and ensuring you don’t damage the frame. Once you remove all the (plastic flares) the piece should come out. To assemble/reattach the piece your will need to use washers, screws and possibly Loctite or adhesive to prevent the screws from falling out. The key when removing the part is to have enough of the plastic shaft to attach/secure the screws and washers to reassemble the part to the panel.

Door Panel - Refer to red arrows
Old 08-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Thanks very much, I knew someone had the answer. It seems like a lot of work, with the potential for problems, so I think I will leave well enough alone. If I have the piece directly behind the door handle painted, which pops right out from inside, I do not think it will look good without the one being discussed painted as well; however, it would be nice to see it that way in someone else's car first to help me decide!

Otherwise, I have a few other parts that I am getting painted soon, some of which I tried to paint myself. My wife keeps telling me enough is enough but she has liked everything I have done so far.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:40 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
There are only 4 screws holding the panel on based on a Youtube video I found...
The 991 door panels are among the easiest I have ever removed.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
The 991 door panels are among the easiest I have ever removed.
That is not the issue since as I posted above there are only 4 screws holding it in and I watched a video as well and agree that it seems easy; if you read post #16 you will see why I am not doing it.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I decided to wrap the piece behind the door handle (vice having it painted); however, I am not sure I like it without also having the other piece the same color, but I'll leave it in for a little while:

Old 08-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Since I am not too keen on the what it would take to remove the pieces I decided to add some wrap. The passenger's side looks better than the driver's since it does not have memory buttons but I still like the way it turned out although I may see if I can come up with something better for the drivers' door piece:

Old 01-20-2020, 07:00 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

As others have correctly said, the door panel has to come off. The silver door lever has 4 torx screws to remove. Then there are 8 plastic rivets to drill out. I used 1/2" forstner bit on mine.
See my thread Here

8 plastic welded rivets to drill.

Screws and washers to reinstall.

Tools

Quick Reply: Interior Door piece removable?