Sponsored by:

Oil Temps in Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Actually, the thermostat in the water cooling system drops the water temp from about 220 to 180 when you engage sport mode. Y0u don't see this on the gauge because it is dumbed down and always reads 194, except when the engine is warming up or comprehensively overheating.

The oil is cooled by an oil/water heat exchanger, so when the water temperature drops, the oil follow accordingly. When running hard on the track, however, this heat exchanger can't keep up and the oil temperature rises again, but not as high in sport mode as it would in normal mode.
Once upon a time in 2012 the water gauge actually reflected the actual water temperature. Took in the car in for a service and it was water temp lobotomized
Old 08-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Will driving in normal mode when engine is cold make it heat up faster? Can you then increase the revs sooner and switch to sport mode or it makes no difference?
Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The higher temp does technically increase the rate that moisture evaporates off the oil, yes. Moisture is still able to be extracted from the oil at lower temps, just like when you try to boil water on the stove, you see lots of vapor coming off the water at lets say 180F. The crankcase is under a relative vacuum as well, so that helps as well.

Regular oil changes are the only way to remove the contaminants, though, as those are left behind after the moisture is evaporated off.
The downside to higher oil temps is that the combustion impurities (typically nitrates and sulfates) make acids with the adsorbed water and these acids act to polymerize the oil, which fundamentally change the properties of the oil over time. Not really an issue if you change the oil often enough, but sustained high temps combined with long oil change intervals are a bad thing.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Will driving in normal mode when engine is cold make it heat up faster? Can you then increase the revs sooner and switch to sport mode or it makes no difference?
I would imagine that the models that have the articulated vanes will warm up faster with them in the closed position. I don't rev past 3-4K until the oil/water temps equalize, regardless of the time interval.

It doesn't take long unless ambient temps are really low, then you have to worry about the summer tires heating up for grip.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Actually, the thermostat in the water cooling system drops the water temp from about 220 to 180 when you engage sport mode. Y0u don't see this on the gauge because it is dumbed down and always reads 194, except when the engine is warming up or comprehensively overheating.

The oil is cooled by an oil/water heat exchanger, so when the water temperature drops, the oil follow accordingly. When running hard on the track, however, this heat exchanger can't keep up and the oil temperature rises again, but not as high in sport mode as it would in normal mode.
I can confirm this. I spoke to a trainer at Porsche as I was always curious why my oil temps on my Macan were lower in sport mode. The electronically controlled thermostat will mimic a low temperature thermostat in sport mode.

A 981 with our 2.5 quart deep sump runs about 10 deg F lower oil temps than a 987.2 with a standard temp thermostat fitted, as a point of comparison, from customer feedback. Although we do make a low temp thermostat for the 987.2/997.2, it triggers a CEL that doesn't affect operation, but is annoying nonetheless, so we only recommend them for track cars.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:47 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

Never noticed what it does in Normal because I do not drive in Normal mode. That's the mode my wife would use, but she doesn't care to drive it.

I like Sport Mode the best, while manually shifting my PDK. Mine typically runs near 210° on the street. When at my dealer's customer appreciation days at Autobahn CC, I do use Sport+ with PDK in Auto mode. Then I get oil temperatures up in the 230's.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
I would imagine that the models that have the articulated vanes will warm up faster with them in the closed position. I don't rev past 3-4K until the oil/water temps equalize, regardless of the time interval.

It doesn't take long unless ambient temps are really low, then you have to worry about the summer tires heating up for grip.
That makes sense. I also drive to keep my revs above 2,000 and lower than 3-4k to warm up the engine faster, rather than keeping revs any lower or idling or driving too slowly.

One nice feature of sport sport mode is coming off the track. The oil temp thermostat will continue to cool the engine during cool-down laps.