Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 5-50

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019 | 09:59 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
Wow, I didn't know 5w50 is officially recommended/supported. I mean who drives there 911 below -13f?
What makes the an AWD 911 very capable on the street and on the track, makes it very capable in inclement weather. Porsche makes numerous winter wheel sets just for those folks that want to enjoy their 911 year round. Now using the 911 as a snow plow is not what most intend to do. But if your neighborhood and town plow the streets, driving the 911 year round is very do able. And the looks the thought will get will be special.
Old 08-10-2019 | 10:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Those that drive Porsches as a status symbol and need to be seen driving one all the time. That or they are so broke or in debt they cannot afford a daily driver.

I never saw the point to driving any performance car in the winter where you can't even remotely use the performance capabilities of the car on cold pavement or in deep snow. Its why I have a daily driver SUV. Besides the manufacturers of the factory tires clearly indicate that they useless even at just above freezing.
What a STUPID post and waste of bandwidth. I never saw the point in judging how another person uses their Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
worf928 (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019 | 10:13 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
What a STUPID post and waste of bandwidth. I never saw the point in judging how another person uses their Porsche.
They can use it as they wish, but then more than 70% of Porsches would not still be on the road.

Lex, I often never see the point to quite a few posts on Rennlist from people who really have no clue what they are talking about. Like oil experts for example. lol
Old 08-10-2019 | 11:35 AM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by koala
Lot's of folks winter drive their 911's!
Ya I totally get that. I mean to all those driving the 4/4S it would be for winter driving mostly. But -13f is not just winter, a bitter cold winter. But I can see it dipping lower than that on occasion and hence needing oil to cover ALL possible scenarios.
Old 08-10-2019 | 12:02 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
But -13f is not just winter, a bitter cold winter.
And I used to ride my dual-purpose motorcycle into work two-wheel drifting through the corners in that weather. Yup, well dressed, my knees would be ice cold two hours later.

Back to cold-weather driving. A local owner had bore-scoring issues in his Boxster. So I viewed all 6 or 7 videos put out by Flat-6 Innovations on the subject. For anyone that noticed and from in-depth reviews on YouTube, these newer (991) are very slow to warm up; coolant temperatures first and oil temperatures lag behind. And Flat-6 innovations claimed cold weather to be one of the factors due to temperature and rich mixtures. Maybe, maybe not. Plus other than the GT2, GT3 and Turbos, the cylinder walls in our regular 911s use a different process (according to Flat-6 Innovations). If true, I'd much prefer the Nikasil used in the GT/Turbo models.
Old 08-10-2019 | 12:36 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And I used to ride my dual-purpose motorcycle into work two-wheel drifting through the corners in that weather. Yup, well dressed, my knees would be ice cold two hours later.

Back to cold-weather driving. A local owner had bore-scoring issues in his Boxster. So I viewed all 6 or 7 videos put out by Flat-6 Innovations on the subject. For anyone that noticed and from in-depth reviews on YouTube, these newer (991) are very slow to warm up; coolant temperatures first and oil temperatures lag behind. And Flat-6 innovations claimed cold weather to be one of the factors due to temperature and rich mixtures. Maybe, maybe not. Plus other than the GT2, GT3 and Turbos, the cylinder walls in our regular 911s use a different process (according to Flat-6 Innovations). If true, I'd much prefer the Nikasil used in the GT/Turbo models.
When you say slow to warm up, how long? Such a vague statement. Please clarify and share your knowledge with us.

Last edited by Jack F; 08-10-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2019 | 12:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
When you slow to warm up, how long?
I do not drive in the winter. The folks at Flat-6 Innovations made the claim. In the summer, I'll drive it till the temperatures have stabilized and cycled through. My car, I care.
Old 08-10-2019 | 12:58 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

When you slow to warm up, how long? Such a vague statement. Please clarify and share your knowledge with us.
My car enters the operational oil temp range at around ~5 mile mark. It does take long.
Old 08-10-2019 | 01:28 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those that drive Porsches as a status symbol and need to be seen driving one all the time. That or they are so broke or in debt they cannot afford a daily driver.

I never saw the point to driving any performance car in the winter where you can't even remotely use the performance capabilities of the car on cold pavement or in deep snow. Its why I have a daily driver SUV. Besides the manufacturers of the factory tires clearly indicate that they useless even at just above freezing.
So, by your logic:
- my wife and I drive our Porsches only as status symbols
- we're too poor to afford non-Porsche daily-drivers
- we're so stupid we've never heard of snow tires or all-season tires
And, also by your logic:
- you always attempt to use the performance capabilities of your Porsche when the pavement isn't wet or covered in snow
- you prefer to spend the vast majority of your 'in-car' time in a non-Porsche SUV.

Got it.
Old 08-10-2019 | 01:49 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Opposite for me. I'm too poor to afford a 911 as a winter beater
Old 08-10-2019 | 06:58 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Such a douchey thing to say. Are you OK? Are you comfortable with who you are? Comfortable financially? Jealous? Wish life went in a different direction for you? Please don’t respond tough.

Please refrain from comments like this. It does nothing to help anyone on this forum and creates an air that I don’t think Rennlist needs. Take your ball home.
Old 08-10-2019 | 07:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Such a douchey thing to say. Are you OK? Are you comfortable with who you are? Comfortable financially? Jealous? Wish life went in a different direction for you? Please don’t respond tough.

Please refrain from comments like this. It does nothing to help anyone on this forum and creates an air that I don’t think Rennlist needs. Take your ball home.
Good post, Frank.
Old 08-10-2019 | 07:04 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Life's too short (especially for this 74 year old) not to drive my Porsche most all the time. We don't get much snow and the temperature rarely gets below the teens so I put the winter tire set on in November and cool it until the oil warms up.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 5-50