Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burger Motorsports JB4 Tuning Systems Available Now!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Quick update.

Got my unit today!

I walked myself through the install:
- Opened frunk and engine cover
- Disconnected negative terminal of battery in fronk
- Disassembled the rear plastic covers, fans, and duct work so I could have access to the Y-pipe
TMAP sensor was piece of cake to reach...as mentioned in the instructions, the intake manifold is a bit of a long reach.

Two mistakes I made: 1.) Left my spoiler up, so that limited how far I could reach. 2.) Work on my car while it was still quite warm.

Given the above, plus my long day at work, I'm holding off on installing till tomorrow.
Reassembly took 5 minutes, and was drama free.

Pretty confident I could install this in under 20 minutes if car is cold and the lowered spoiler helps with accessibility.
I'll update further once installed.

-Aatish
Old 07-31-2019, 10:38 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Payam, any other tips for a base Carrera install?
I don't think the spoiler will have to come off...would you agree?
Old 07-31-2019, 10:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
Quick update.

Got my unit today!

- Disassembled the rear plastic covers, fans, and duct work so I could have access to the Y-pipe
TMAP sensor was piece of cake to reach...as mentioned in the instructions, the intake manifold is a bit of a long reach.

Two mistakes I made: 1.) Left my spoiler up, so that limited how far I could reach. 2.) Work on my car while it was still quite warm.

Given the above, plus my long day at work, I'm holding off on installing till tomorrow.

Pretty confident I could install this in under 20 minutes if car is cold and the lowered spoiler helps with accessibility.

-Aatish
I thought the instructions state to remove the spoiler?
Old 07-31-2019, 10:41 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I thought the instructions state to remove the spoiler?
Instructions are for the Turbo/TurboS (at least, on the site it seems that way).

I can reach my hand in there with the spoiler up, just can't really bend down and see....
Spoiler down should allow me to get an angle and see what I'm pulling
Old 07-31-2019, 10:43 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Doesn't help I'm pretty beat from work. But wanted to give it a shot.

Based off this dry run, I feel pretty good about the install not being stupid crazy. Seems easier than for my N55.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:50 PM
Funnyjoe
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick update.

Got my unit today!

-Aatish
I also had it installed today on my GTS. We took spoiler out was impossible for me to reach without it. Had some issues here and there but i think i can have it in and out in 40 min next time.
Definitely fell power increase and turbos seems to scream louder. Will share my logs with Payam and Terry hopefully today. Everything was easy except

sensor.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:05 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I got mine installed in my c4s cabriolet a couple weeks ago. I have a tech art wing and was able to get it installed without removing the spoiler (although it was a painful learning curve in being able to reach and handle the map sensor one handed

so far it has been good, running map 3. I’ve also been experimenting with the user controlled map 6. I think there is still more performance to tap into.

Terry and Payam have been impressively available to answer questions and read logs. I’m looking forward to the next firmware.

I did forget to get a baseline set of reading from my Dragy before installing. I understand that map 0 is essentially JB4 disabled, but I always prefer to get the reading unaltered. So far the best 0-60 has been 3.78 which is about half a second faster than map 0.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Some detailed install pics would be nice but if it that hard to get back in there it sounds like pics are out of the question, unless some has a colonoscopy scope lying around.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Interested...
Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 172 Posts

This is my DIY thread (with a video to locate sensors) when I installed it in my 991.1TT.

991.1TT JB4 DIY

Though it’s a .1TT, I just checked the BMS website and it looks like the directions for the non-TT’s are the same so this might help.
The following users liked this post:
NightBlueTTS (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:22 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Quick update.

Got my unit today!

-Aatish
Nice! Would you be able to do datalogs from base tune and then the different levels of tune?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Looking forward to some before and after dragy times! Love that an easy install option is available for this platform now. Everything else is a pain in the butt. Strong work BMS!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
NightBlueTTS (08-01-2019), PCA1983 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Looking forward to some before and after dragy times! Love that an easy install option is available for this platform now. Everything else is a pain in the butt. Strong work BMS!!

Yeah, it’s great not having to pull the ECU and ship it off! And awesome customer service
Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Nice! Would you be able to do datalogs from base tune and then the different levels of tune?
That's the plan.

Map 0
Map 1
Map 2

Will try E85 mixes if I like the logs on 93....
PCA1983 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Some detailed install pics would be nice but if it that hard to get back in there it sounds like pics are out of the question, unless some has a colonoscopy scope lying around.
I plan to document the process and create a PDF for the install.
Got a better look at the intake manifold sensor today. Disassembling the sound tube assembly should help with reaching the pull tabs, as shown in the picture above.
Omega4 (08-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Burger Motorsports JB4 Tuning Systems Available Now!