Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Loud223
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So I left the Car at work and checked this morning and the tire is holding air. No drop in pressure at all. Do you think its safe to drive? Or just get it to the shop for new Tires.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Loud223
So I left the Car at work and checked this morning and the tire is holding air. No drop in pressure at all. Do you think its safe to drive? Or just get it to the shop for new Tires.
Many folks are totally ok with driving on a plug. Many folks are not and feel that to have a proper repair you need to have the plug and patch. If it was me, I would take it in to have it looked at. The patches are fairly cheap and the correct way the tire shop would repair it.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:18 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Fixed my flat today.

Here is the culprit and the Stop and Go Pocket Tire Plugger was what I used. Did not have to take off wheel, just lifted car with my Quick Jacks. Took be about 2.5 hours from beginning to end, which included putting QJ under car, making sure they were positioned properly, finding and fixing puncture, testing with soapy water, and after seeing no bubbles, putting everything away.

I have tried Dynaplugs in the past and they worked well - drove about 6500 miles with them in with no issues, then got another puncture in the side of the tire and had to get new tires. Wanted to use the Tire Pluggers and compare (they come with mushroom rubber plugs).

Dynaplugs definitely easier and you have a better chance of plugging a hole on the side of the road with it. Tire Pluggers seem like they would work better as the mushroom plug almost asks like a patch on the inside of the tire. Time will tell. You really have to rasp the tire and create a bigger hole in order to get the plug in.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:12 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Pro tip : overinflate the tire before attempting the tire repair. This will make the insertion of the reamer and tire plug much easier and the plug will hold better. Trying to ream or insert the plug tool on a tire with very low pressure is difficult and the plug will not hold as efficiently.
I worked at my old man's tire shop growing up and this technique worked every time. As mentioned many times on these forums, the best fix is to take it to a tire shop and have them put a "plug patch". I personally wouldn't track with a patched tire but it's good for everyday driving.
I carry a plug kit that I've purchased from Amazon for emergency use and works like a champ. I still take it to a tire shop to get it patched.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

^how much over inflation? Great tip. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:36 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 183 Posts

Max rated PSI is a good rule of thumb but normally 30-35 PSI should do the trick on most tires. Another tip: back in the day, we used to dip the plug in glue. The first time I plugged a tire, I had glue all over my face. Lesson learned-keep your face away from the hole. Plugs these days come ready and moist. LexVan, I think you'll appreciate this.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

^ you had me at "moist".
Old 07-24-2019, 04:01 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

This seems like a no-brainer for emergency roadside repairs. Good experiences on a 911?

Originally Posted by Joec500
^ THIS

I also carry one of these in my car, I have yet to use it *knock on wood* but it seems like a better roadside solution for ease of use.

http://www.dynaplug.com/instructions.html
Old 07-24-2019, 11:25 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Loud223
At least have a shop dismount the tire, inspect the inside of the puncture (since some punctures can damage the belts), and put in a proper patch-plug. IMO, the plugs shoved in from the outside are temporary.

Quick Reply: Flat tire