Sponsored by:

Thoughts about service

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:45 PM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
When the water pump is replaced, the coolant system is compromised. The proper procedure includes a coolant system flush. The thermal management system on the 991 is very-very sophisticated. An extensive drive cycle is required. So again, 20-30 miles is nothing to get worked-up about. To me, it sounds like the shop did a thorough job.
Thanks a lot for this explanation. Others have a good points. I really like this dealer and have a good relationship with them. My very limited interactions with service (always a good thing) have been great. It's why I have been reticent about disclosing my location. As for warranty, that's true, but I am sensitive to the fact that the car is a manual and proving clutch death can be hard. In any event, I'll just request no reset on the next visit.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:09 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Is it really worth your time and effort to go through the process of having a discussion with the service manager, making the determination if you do / don't believe the explanation, decide if you want to accept his explanation, blah blah blah.... all for a few excess miles?

Your life will continue just fine, your vehicle is backed by Porsche's warranty, etc.... it's your vehicle and of course there are intangibles that go with this.... but again, is it really worth your time? An explanation ain't gonna change the current state or your car, and seems like you're satisfied with their work barring the few extra miles and a reset....
I totally agree with this. It is not unusual for a tech to run your (the OP's) car - and this can mean taking it home overnight so they can actually put miles on it - to make sure that when you get it back there are no kinks to work out, There are many procedures that require a shakedown. Even 30 miles would be nowhere near enough in so many cases, but they know you want it back. They just want to make sure that it is fixed when you get it back because anything less than that would cause many people to go ballistic (the same people that worry about 30 miles being put on their cars).

Many people think that these Porsche techs have 1972 Chevy Vega GTs as their daily drivers, so when they get to drive a REAL PORSCHE, they get all excited, take your car, track it, and go absolutely bonkers.
They do this every day as part of their jobs and I doubt you'll find a tech that was "thrilled" to drive your car.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pittspilot
Thanks a lot for this explanation. Others have a good points. I really like this dealer and have a good relationship with them. My very limited interactions with service (always a good thing) have been great. It's why I have been reticent about disclosing my location. As for warranty, that's true, but I am sensitive to the fact that the car is a manual and proving clutch death can be hard. In any event, I'll just request no reset on the next visit.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
How much clutch wear do you think happens in 30 miles?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
How much clutch wear do you think happens in 30 miles?
Could be 120 quarter miles.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

When I had mine swapped, they told me they were supposed to take it for a drive for xx miles (i dont recall how many) and then add more coolant to fill it afterwards. I was heading out of town and they stayed late to get the car done already, so they gave me a quart of coolant to add myself, which I did have to add.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:31 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

I bet there's french fries under the seat.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:42 PM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HD2pct
I totally agree with this. It is not unusual for a tech to run your (the OP's) car - and this can mean taking it home overnight so they can actually put miles on it - to make sure that when you get it back there are no kinks to work out, There are many procedures that require a shakedown. Even 30 miles would be nowhere near enough in so many cases, but they know you want it back. They just want to make sure that it is fixed when you get it back because anything less than that would cause many people to go ballistic (the same people that worry about 30 miles being put on their cars).

Many people think that these Porsche techs have 1972 Chevy Vega GTs as their daily drivers, so when they get to drive a REAL PORSCHE, they get all excited, take your car, track it, and go absolutely bonkers.
They do this every day as part of their jobs and I doubt you'll find a tech that was "thrilled" to drive your car.
Why take that shot in what was a pleasant discussion? I guess I don’t have the studied nonchalance that others have towards their cars. Maybe in time.

I don’t think a tech’s mind is blown because he or she gets to drive my car. In fact, I hope it’s not. Who wants the rookie? As mentioned in my original post, the mileage caused me to flip through the lifetime car stats and I noticed the reset which annoyed me because I don’t want that information reset and wondered why they did it because it seemed to be an intentional act. As in, flip to the screen, and reset it, and then flip away because it was not the screen that came up first when I got my car back. Would they do the same in a GT2Rs or a GT3 touring? And yes, I’m primarily worried about very hard launches from a stop on my clutch because I don’t think that’s necessary for running the motor hard to check for water leaks. That would have been apparent from the history and is my primary area of concern.

Anyhow, I think this thread has run its course.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

You just dug yourself a hole by even replying to that.. You might as well click on "thread tools" and "close thread" before someone having a bad day will pile it onto you. Next thing you know you'll be labeled all sorts of things.

I was as **** as it gets when it came to my brand new 911. You can't prevent these things unless you hermetically seal your car. Since the first month of ownership I noticed defects/damage caused by lazy techs, detailers, and indies.. It's the way of life. Your car having a clutch makes it all that much more worse for you. You'll learn to let the minor things go over time.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

30 miles may be a bit high but having things reset is not. If they did a reset of fault codes in the system I am guessing that would have reset the cluster too. Talk with the manager if it bothers you.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about service