Sponsored by:

Thoughts about service

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:12 AM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thoughts about service

I just got my car back after having water pump replaced. When I got car back they had put almost 30 miles on the car and also reset the long term tracker which tracks the g's on the car, fuel mileage, top speed, and mileage. This is both suspicious and annoying.

I really don't mind if the tech properly warms up the car and drives it energetically after engine work. But it is not cool to be resetting stuff on my car. I also have an MT and am always concerned about clutch abuse. Would this bother you guys?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:26 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Could be proper procedure to test out the water pump. Get the car fully warmed up, WOT tests. Didn't check my odometer when mine was replaced. As far as the trackers being reset.. It happens.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:30 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

Does battery disconnect reset?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 AM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Does battery disconnect reset?
Wouldn't that reset all my settings? The reset was the only thing amiss.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:45 AM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Could be proper procedure to test out the water pump. Get the car fully warmed up, WOT tests. Didn't check my odometer when mine was replaced. As far as the trackers being reset.. It happens.
Sure. When you swipe to that menu and hit reset it's a conscious act. I only noticed because of mileage. And I don't mind if he has to do WOT runs. I fully expect that. And I'd expect an appropriate warmup although with current air temps oil temp is up pretty quick. And with the worn tires I currently have on car, it would be tough to beat the values I have on the car. So I don't get the reset. I'll just instruct no reset next time.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:06 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

Could be an interesting discussion with the service manager. Just an inquiry and a request to not have that type of data cleared. And say that you want to know what they are doing with the car over such mileage. The service mange should be totally OK with that.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pittspilot
Sure. When you swipe to that menu and hit reset it's a conscious act. I only noticed because of mileage. And I don't mind if he has to do WOT runs. I fully expect that. And I'd expect an appropriate warmup although with current air temps oil temp is up pretty quick. And with the worn tires I currently have on car, it would be tough to beat the values I have on the car. So I don't get the reset. I'll just instruct no reset next time.
Yeah I just don't know what happens in a Porsche when you pull out the battery.. I know when I disconnected only the negative terminal all the info and presets stayed put. One trip to the dealer to replace a sideview mirror base and everything was restored to default. I doubt they were taking corners in your ride, and if you fully think about it 30 miles is quite a bit.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 83 Posts

30 miles. i would be suspect. and i would call the service and ask them to justify the 30 miles. ask them if it is justifiable in their eyes and why. maybe they did have to do some WOT long drive testing. those would be proper justifications. but if the service required doesn't require a 30 mile drive, then you have every right to complain. and if the service guy gives you bullsh*t answers, don't go to him anymore ,and going forward, like you said, request that they not reset anything and to let you know in advance if there needs to be extended driving for the service. my car didn't even have 30 miles on purchase.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:35 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

30 miles sure sounds excessive. Do you need to do 30 miles to test if the water pump will not leak? Doubtful.

Sure sounds to me that they took your car for a little joyride.

Call your SA - be interested to hear the cockamamie story he comes up with.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

It would be helpful to know your location.

Did they also do some software/firmware updates? That would reset some of your settings.

My car, in Sport Plus, with the 3rd radiator (Power Kit), can easily take 10 miles or more to come up to full operating temp, so if they put "almost" 30 miles (how many actually......24........28??) on your car, that does not completely surprise me. Again, knowing more about your location, and the area around the dealership would help.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:16 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Would definitely have a discussion with the manager. I had a car at the dealer waiting for a window motor for two weeks. When I drove away the speedometer wasn’t working. At least you know the mileage.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:44 AM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

Is it really worth your time and effort to go through the process of having a discussion with the service manager, making the determination if you do / don't believe the explanation, decide if you want to accept his explanation, blah blah blah.... all for a few excess miles?

Your life will continue just fine, your vehicle is backed by Porsche's warranty, etc.... it's your vehicle and of course there are intangibles that go with this.... but again, is it really worth your time? An explanation ain't gonna change the current state or your car, and seems like you're satisfied with their work barring the few extra miles and a reset....
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts

The following users liked this post:
CSK 911 C4S (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

When the water pump is replaced, the coolant system is compromised. The proper procedure includes a coolant system flush. The thermal management system on the 991 is very-very sophisticated. An extensive drive cycle is required. So again, 20-30 miles is nothing to get worked-up about. To me, it sounds like the shop did a thorough job.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:04 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

I expect the drive is to make sure they got all the air out of the system ( not to check for leaks).
Have to get everything up to temperature and flowing to all circuits to do that.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about service