Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Rear view mirror delaminating

I have noticed my interior rear view mirror has spots in it kind like an old home mirror . Maybe from reflective surface de bonding from glass it looks like it’s dirty and affect vision.
Do you think this will be a covered replacement under a cpo warranty . Just bought car and esker didn’t notice it during cpo certification inspection supposedly.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
I have noticed my interior rear view mirror has spots in it kind like an old home mirror . Maybe from reflective surface de bonding from glass it looks like it’s dirty and affect vision.
Do you think this will be a covered replacement under a cpo warranty . Just bought car and esker didn’t notice it during cpo certification inspection supposedly.
Do you have auto dimming mirrors? If so may be the electrolyte leaking from inside the mirror. Had this happen in my BMW M5 and the mirror need to be re-built with the main cartridge replaced. Watch out for any electrolyte leaking as this stuff is nasty and corrosive.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:30 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Could be the mirror is dirty. Not trying to be a wise ***, but I had the same issue with my mirror. Tried to clean it every which way, finally gave up and told my SA that the mirror was delaminating. When it came time to pick up the car, the SA said there was no delamination and that all it needed was a good cleaning. I looked at him like he was crazy but got in car and looked the mirror and it was perfect. All they did was clean it. Make sure you use a good glass cleaning solution and a really good micro fiber cloth.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:52 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Could be the mirror is dirty. Not trying to be a wise ***, but I had the same issue with my mirror. Tried to clean it every which way, finally gave up and told my SA that the mirror was delaminating. When it came time to pick up the car, the SA said there was no delamination and that all it needed was a good cleaning. I looked at him like he was crazy but got in car and looked the mirror and it was perfect. All they did was clean it. Make sure you use a good glass cleaning solution and a really good micro fiber cloth.

When they delaminate they get large non-reflective "air bubbles" at the glass surface. Hard to mistake. Soon after the bubbles appear, you will find high viscosity "goo" dripping from the mirror. That is the stuff that turns your center console into a Hazmat site.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default .1 vs .2 mirror

In the .2 the fixed the silly shaped rv mirror. Anyone swapped them out ?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Default Mirror

Question is it a cpo warranty item
Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 AM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a extra 991.1 rear view mirror that dims. Yours for a $100 if your interested. DM me.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Default Mirror

Dealer is replacing under warranty but thanks if not I would take you up on it

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror delaminating