Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should battery be replaced as part of CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019 | 01:06 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
You will definitely need to reset the memory for your windows if the vehicle’s battery is disconnected (very simple process located in your users manual). As for the PCM memory I have found the memory has always been retained, including my sunroof. If you have the dealer replace your battery inquire if they will need to program your vehicle through the OBD port for a new battery since this has been a debate on this forum.
The work should be completed today by dealer, he said it includes all the re-programming required.

i think it would be easy to get this done for free at my selling dealer, but I bought the car at Porsche Conshohoken and my local dealer is Bellevue, WA.

Still going to try for reimbursement I called the main no for Porsche they said they are looking into it.
Old 07-19-2019 | 06:29 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

So this morning I talked to the dealership who sold me the car, they said the battery voltage was tested as part of Certification it was fine, changing battery isn't going to fix the problem.

Collected car from the dealer an hour later with new battery, paid the $777 plus tax and start/stop is now working perfectly!

Now I have to try and get some or all of the money back, because this fault was present when I bought the car. Interestingly I didn't have to reset anything, all settings have been maintained even the trip computer.
Old 07-20-2019 | 12:17 AM
kiddoutlaw
Advanced

I would push to get your money back. Did you CPO documentation show your Battery % State of Health and if it was OEM of Aftermarket?

My CPO, which i purchased out of state and had shipped to me also, showed good tread remaining on front tires, but when i brought it to my dealer they said it should have been replaced since they were over the year allowance. I took pictures of the tires and sent them to my SA. He went to the GM and had them reimburse me for the replacement.
Old 07-20-2019 | 01:42 AM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiddoutlaw
I would push to get your money back. Did you CPO documentation show your Battery % State of Health and if it was OEM of Aftermarket?

My CPO, which i purchased out of state and had shipped to me also, showed good tread remaining on front tires, but when i brought it to my dealer they said it should have been replaced since they were over the year allowance. I took pictures of the tires and sent them to my SA. He went to the GM and had them reimburse me for the replacement.
Good to know, thanks.

As far as I’m concerned it’s simple, they sold me the car with a mechanical fault that should’ve been corrected during Certification process so they should reimburse me for the fix.
Old 07-24-2019 | 04:19 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Just wanted to update you guys on the final resolution on this. Porsche head office offered me $500 towards the $800 the new battery cost me, which is reasonable if not ideal. The selling dealer just didn’t return my calls or texts...couldn’t stop them calling me every day when I was buying! 😊

Anyway my advice to anyone buying a used/CPO just pop the cover behind the frunk and check the date of the battery. If it’s more than 3-4 years old insist on a replacement.
Old 07-24-2019 | 05:26 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I would have demanded the full $800 but that's just me. It's the principle. I hope this isn't Porsche's normal MO. I've owned many brand of cars and the battery was always covered under warranty. Heck, even my kid's 4 year old Jetta battery was covered when it died. I purchased a Costco battery and called VW, and they sent me a check for the exact amount. I don't know how it is now but Mercedes would drive out and replace the battery in your garage free of charge.
Old 07-24-2019 | 06:55 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I would have demanded the full $800 but that's just me. It's the principle. I hope this isn't Porsche's normal MO. I've owned many brand of cars and the battery was always covered under warranty. Heck, even my kid's 4 year old Jetta battery was covered when it died. I purchased a Costco battery and called VW, and they sent me a check for the exact amount. I don't know how it is now but Mercedes would drive out and replace the battery in your garage free of charge.
I think the battery is covered under the new car warranty, but mine is a 2013 so I only have the CPO warranty.
Old 07-25-2019 | 09:01 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Default Battery replacement

My battery died and I called AAA. Battery guy didn't know where the battery was but together we replaced it. He put power source through OBD to retain settings. Cost of new battery with 6 year warranty - $145.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019 | 11:07 AM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jerry991
My battery died and I called AAA. Battery guy didn't know where the battery was but together we replaced it. He put power source through OBD to retain settings. Cost of new battery with 6 year warranty - $145.
You got a good guy there!
Old 07-25-2019 | 11:10 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sr5959
I think the battery is covered under the new car warranty, but mine is a 2013 so I only have the CPO warranty.
Unless the policy has changed, I would say it is not. I had purchased a new Cayman in '07, and a couple years in, the battery died. The dealer wanted to charge me for a replacement. I fought tooth and nail, got PCNA involved, even reached out to the dealer principle who had recently attended one of our PCA meetings.

I finally prevailed, but not without having to fight for it.

At the time, they considered the battery just another wear item.I would also note that in the paperwork for my new to me '15 GTS (CPO) is a post card size piece that recommends a battery maintainer for cars that are not driven regularly. I look at that as a warning shot that these cars eat batteries for breakfast even when they are driven semi-regularly.
Old 07-25-2019 | 03:19 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Worst case, buy a battery yourself and DIY. Interstate and other batteries are just as good if not better than OEM. I won’t pay a stealership my Benjamins even if they were flowing out of my pocket, which they’re not.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 07-25-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2019 | 07:30 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
Unless the policy has changed, I would say it is not. I had purchased a new Cayman in '07, and a couple years in, the battery died. The dealer wanted to charge me for a replacement. I fought tooth and nail, got PCNA involved, even reached out to the dealer principle who had recently attended one of our PCA meetings.

I finally prevailed, but not without having to fight for it.

At the time, they considered the battery just another wear item.I would also note that in the paperwork for my new to me '15 GTS (CPO) is a post card size piece that recommends a battery maintainer for cars that are not driven regularly. I look at that as a warning shot that these cars eat batteries for breakfast even when they are driven semi-regularly.
2 years from new you should not have to pay for a battery...I’m surprised they even tried to charge you!
The following users liked this post:
BGLeduc (07-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Should battery be replaced as part of CPO?