Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should battery be replaced as part of CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Should battery be replaced as part of CPO?

Hi guys, I bought my CPO 2013 C2 about a month ago from a dealer in Philadelphia, and as part of the CPO they carried out the 6 year service. I just took it in to my local Porsche dealer and to fix a problem with auto-stop function and they are going to charge me $800 for a new battery, as apparently it has the original battery.

Should the battery replacement not been part of the CPO process? I would think it would be one of the basic checks. Also do you think this. It’s is reasonable for a new battery?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Zanotti
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 98 Posts

Hell, the dealer I bought from didn't even change the batteries in the key fob! One of them was DOA when the car came......
Old 07-18-2019, 04:26 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The CPO checklist includes checking the battery electrolyte levels, hydrometer check and cleaning the terminals, They are not obligated to change it unless it fails one of those. They are supposed to put new batteries in the key fobs though. https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Cert...-checklist.pdf
Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

Are they claiming the battery is the cause of the issue?

Are you reasonably handy? Battery swap is any easy DIY job. Cost of battery is probably under 200 plus your time.
The following users liked this post:
shootermcgavin (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:52 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Are they claiming the battery is the cause of the issue?

Are you reasonably handy? Battery swap is any easy DIY job. Cost of battery is probably under 200 plus your time.
I had a look at a thread on a DIY battery replacement but I don’t have the battery tender and to be honest a little worried I’d mess it up.

I've contacted Porsche so I’ll see if they get back to me and comp it. The service advisor took one look at the date on the battery and said it needs replacement, so I think the CPO process should’ve included that.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Yes, the Start/Stop function will no longer work when the battery is on its way out. My 2014 kept starting the car for another year however, so its just a sign its weakening, not necessarily going to die on you in the next few days. $ 800 is too steep. Batteries Plus are all over the place and it's about $ 150 there, they will put it in for you as well at no charge. It's not a complex install, but you do have to stand in the Frunk to get the battery in (Dealer has to stand in there, too). Order it online and its 10% less than buying it in the store. You don't need a battery tender to swap it, nor does it need any dealer coding.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...h6-3.8l-740cca
sr5959 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959
Hi guys, I bought my CPO 2013 C2 about a month ago from a dealer in Philadelphia, and as part of the CPO they carried out the 6 year service. I just took it in to my local Porsche dealer and to fix a problem with auto-stop function and they are going to charge me $800 for a new battery, as apparently it has the original battery.

Should the battery replacement not been part of the CPO process? I would think it would be one of the basic checks. Also do you think this. It’s is reasonable for a new battery?

Thanks!
Here's what I found with a quick look:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/

"This warranty does not cover:
  • Emission Control Systems and Corrosion. (Refer to the Emission Control and Corrosion Limited Warranties in the new vehicle limited warranty manual.)
    • Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation."
Assuming your battery was not stored, and used normally, and had no non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation, then yes, I would surmise that you should be covered under the Porsche CPO for a free replacement. I would print that link out and show the dealer, and politely ask that it be covered, and if not, explain why.

That's how I read it anyway. IANAL and all that.

I will say on my Cayman the battery replacement was pretty straightforward. I do not know if this applies to a 911. I swapped out the original (Sep '13 build) OEM battery for a new Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group 48 battery from Batteries Plus, about $220:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli48agm

Took about 2.5 hours, including the trip to the store to drop off the core and pick up the new one, and grab breakfast for The Boss at Chick-Fil-A.

Removal was fairly straightforward; Remove the front interior cover, loosen two torx screws and take out the power inflator and tray, then undo four nuts on two hold-down straps. Then two 10mm nuts on the battery posts. Swap in new and install is the reverse of removal, as they say. I kept it on a CTEK charger using the armrest socket while the battery was out, car didn't seem to know the difference.

This is for the Cayman that I followed:

Again, I am not saying this applies to a 991; it just may give you an idea of what is involved in the DIY.

Hope it works out for you.

Rich
sr5959 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 06:03 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, very very helpful.

As I only got the car less than a month ago I’m going to let the dealer replace and try to get Porsche to reimburse me. I called the main no and they said they’ll look into it and get back to me.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:38 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Btw my last car was a CPO Merc. Had exactly the same problem requiring a new battery, they replaced it under warranty.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

This not a CPO warranty issue. The battery should have been replaced as part of the CPO process. I highly doubt it passed the CPO tests and then failed a few weeks later. The battery was six years old and toast under any standard. I would press the issue with the dealer that certified the car. I would also replace the battery myself to limit the downside.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim991
This not a CPO warranty issue. The battery should have been replaced as part of the CPO process. I highly doubt it passed the CPO tests and then failed a few weeks later. The battery was six years old and toast under any standard. I would press the issue with the dealer that certified the car. I would also replace the battery myself to limit the downside.
Yes I agree. Going to get my money back for this.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Yes, the Start/Stop function will no longer work when the battery is on its way out. My 2014 kept starting the car for another year however, so its just a sign its weakening, not necessarily going to die on you in the next few days. $ 800 is too steep. Batteries Plus are all over the place and it's about $ 150 there, they will put it in for you as well at no charge. It's not a complex install, but you do have to stand in the Frunk to get the battery in (Dealer has to stand in there, too). Order it online and its 10% less than buying it in the store. You don't need a battery tender to swap it, nor does it need any dealer coding.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...h6-3.8l-740cca
Well the manual cites that if you pull battery power to the car you must re-calibrate the power windows and the sunroof (if you have it). It may also erase your memory settings (not sure about this). The reason for the battery tender is to keep 12V power to the car at all times during the swap. You can do the same thing by connecting any 12V power source to the battery terminals (or internal power plug) while disconnecting the old battery and re-connecting the new.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:22 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 800 $ for a battery

Ill do it for 600 hhahaaha....these stealerships are straight gangsters.
sr5959 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

I don’t have a 911 but my battery was replaced under CPO for my cayenne. The battery was 4.5 years old. The dealership did some test and replaced it without question. However, I do some of my service there.

Last edited by CayenneBlack; 07-20-2019 at 12:04 AM.
sr5959 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959

Thanks!
You will definitely need to reset the memory for your windows if the vehicle’s battery is disconnected (very simple process located in your users manual). As for the PCM memory I have found the memory has always been retained, including my sunroof. If you have the dealer replace your battery inquire if they will need to program your vehicle through the OBD port for a new battery since this has been a debate on this forum.

Quick Reply: Should battery be replaced as part of CPO?