Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carerra 4 GTS purchase - looking for advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:52 AM
EdwardNR
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 991.2 Carerra 4 GTS purchase - looking for advice...

Hey there

I'm about to take the plunge into 911 ownership having loved a 981 Cayman GTS for 3 years. I loved the 981 GTS, but I needed a sports car with back seats for the kids (usual story I imagine!)

Anyway, I have agreed a deal with Porsche Center Stockholm to buy this stunning Carmine Red Carerra 4 GTS (MY18) with 15,000Km on the clock, subject to a test drive (where I can pull out if I don't like anything).

Carmine Red Carerra 4 GTS Coupe

It is really well optioned for the most part and has been used throughout the winter which is quite unusual in Sweden, so the dealer has done some respray work to the front, repairing a wheel and replacing all 4 tyres.

My question is, as I have never owned a 911 or had much experience of the 991.2, is there anything I should look out for or any watch outs that could be costly in the short/medium term?

I'm buying on finance and expect to keep it for at least 3 years. Under the dealers advice I plan to PPF the car for the winter, likely Suntek Ultra I think. I'll also be getting a second set of wheels for winter to save swapping tyres on the beautiful wheels.

Here's the options (translated from Swedish)
  • Carmine Red
  • Alcantara package GTS Black / Carmine Red in combination. with GTS interior package
  • Tinted rear windows Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
  • SportDesign package Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
  • Headlight cleaning nozzles varnished Porsche Exclusive Manufacure
  • Side skirts lacquered Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
  • Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
  • Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) including PASM sports chassis (20 mm lower)
  • Rear axle steering
  • Power steering Plus
  • Aluminum wheels 20-inch 911 Turbo S
  • LED headlights in black incl. Porsche Exclusive Manufacture Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
  • Windshield with gray-toned top
  • Automatically dimmable rear-view mirrors
  • Cruise control
  • Lane Change Assist
  • ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
  • GTS interior package
  • Multifunction steering wheel with steering wheel heating
  • Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way electric)
  • Heated chairs
  • Smoker package
  • Storage net at the foot space on the passenger side
  • ISOFIX mount for car seat front
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System
Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are welcome please?

it's a ton of money and I don't have anyone who can come to assist with the drive & collection, although it will get a good test if I buy it as I will be driving the 400Km between Stockholm & Gothenburg to take it home

That said, I'm not super OCD and as the car's still under warranty until Jan next year I'm not worried about warranty items, but anything that I might not of thought of or may end up costing a lot after the warranty expires are my main worries.

Thanks in advance!

Edd
Old 07-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Beautiful car! Why is the warranty only until January next year? Can you get CPO to add an add’l couple of years for peace of mind? PPF is a very good idea ... I leased my Targa for 3 years so decided to forego PPF and ended up with 2 stone chips on the hood in the first 10 days of ownership.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 AM
EdwardNR
7th Gear

Thanks! I rarely see Carmine Red cars in Sweden, it's a nice change from my previous black, white and silver cars.

Yeah it's PDK - I would happily have a manual but they are just not available here. That said my Cayman was PDK and it's hands down the best "auto" (dual clutch) I have ever used. Shame the paddles on the newer cars have less travel, I like a nice bit of paddle travel!

I digress, thanks for the support of the PPF, given the car was only on the road for a year and a bit and they have had to re-spray the front, that's pretty telling. Swedish authorities use ruddy big stones for grip in wintery conditions and they don;'t like the front of low sports cars.

Pretty sure I'll get some of the grill covers from https://www.zunsport.com/en/ which I think people have recommended here so the rads at the front don't get attacked too.

Cheers

Edd
Old 07-09-2019, 09:59 AM
*991*
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

Beautiful car love the color. As was previously said make the dealer CPO car before u buy that way u will have warranty for a couple more years
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

No CPO, NO PURCHASE. There is very likely something lurking like over-revs, or something else picked up in the inspection that disqualifies the car for CPO. You need to get into why it isn't a CPO with them. IMHO.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM
EdwardNR
7th Gear

Thank you

Ah yes, sorry I missed that point. First thing I tried in the negotiation was to get an extra year added but apparently because it's still under the new car warranty (which is 2 years in Sweden) they won't top it up. Weird. I did negotiate a discount so I could choose to use that to fund a warranty extension, which is circa $1500 per year I think. I decided I would just do that closer to the time it runs out. On the Cayman I extended it once but was then advised to just increase my insurance cover instead as the Porsche Insurance here pretty much covers everything a warranty does!

Cheers

Edd
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

A PPI is also a good idea when getting into one of these. This thread is an interesting discussion plus some helpful info on the CPO process.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1150...not-cpo-2.html

Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:26 AM
EdwardNR
7th Gear

Sorry if I'm missing something - what's CPO?

Is that the same as sold as a 'Porsche Approved' car because it's passed all of the 111 point checks or what ever they do?

I don't think it is, so that's a really good spot, thanks. Will find out why!

Cheers

Edd
Old 07-09-2019, 10:29 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EdwardNR
Thank you

Ah yes, sorry I missed that point. First thing I tried in the negotiation was to get an extra year added but apparently because it's still under the new car warranty (which is 2 years in Sweden) they won't top it up. Weird. I did negotiate a discount so I could choose to use that to fund a warranty extension, which is circa $1500 per year I think. I decided I would just do that closer to the time it runs out. On the Cayman I extended it once but was then advised to just increase my insurance cover instead as the Porsche Insurance here pretty much covers everything a warranty does!

Cheers

Edd
Bought my C4S last July (July 2018) with the New Car not expiring until September 2019 (car was originally titled September 2015 so 4 yrs on the new car warranty takes it til Sept 2019), My CPO will then go from September 2019 - September 2021.

Definitely get a PPI.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:31 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

CPO = Certified Pre-Owned. A 111 Point Inspection is part of that and there are certain rules that prevent a dealer from giving that warranty so be careful.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:39 AM
EdwardNR
7th Gear

Originally Posted by phefner
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned. A 111 Point Inspection is part of that and there are certain rules that prevent a dealer from giving that warranty so be careful.
Perfect, thanks. That's 'Porsche Approved' over here but in principle the same.

It does feel like they are doing some of the work like replacing all four tyres and doing a proper re-spray of the front, but I agree I need to find out why it's not being sold as Porsche Approved.

PPI - Pre Purchase Inspection?

In Sweden info on cars is free if you know where to find it
https://www.car.info/en-se/license-plate/S/YWK336

Should be accessible without a login and in English - the complete history of the car. So no reported accidents and first on the road in Jan 2017.

Cheers for all the help

Edd
Old 07-09-2019, 10:49 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Have them print out the engine operating report showing the rev ranges the engine recorded. That should clear up if the engine was abused.

The GTS has long been referred to the best "value" for the 911 line by many. I ended up with a C4S, just liked some of the features of that model.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Pwannabe
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the above. Certified Pre-Owned is a huge plus and probably the only benefit of buying a used car from a dealer considering their high mark-up. Porsche CPO also is very stringent and either 1. there is something w/ the car that makes it not certifiable (my guess is the existing mileage), or 2. they are willing to CPO it for an added fee.

Just bought a 2017 Carrera 4 GTS two months ago. The car had 3700 mi and is CPO, therefore extending the effective warranty to 2023. To me, that is very much worth it knowing the assurance anything going wrong will be addressed for the next 4 years.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Pre-Purchase Inspection

Originally Posted by EdwardNR
Perfect, thanks. That's 'Porsche Approved' over here but in principle the same.

It does feel like they are doing some of the work like replacing all four tyres and doing a proper re-spray of the front, but I agree I need to find out why it's not being sold as Porsche Approved.

PPI - Pre Purchase Inspection?

In Sweden info on cars is free if you know where to find it
https://www.car.info/en-se/license-plate/S/YWK336

Should be accessible without a login and in English - the complete history of the car. So no reported accidents and first on the road in Jan 2017.

Cheers for all the help

Edd
Yes, PPI = Pre-Purchase Inspection.

If your dealer won't CPO/Porsche Approved the sale (which is weird and a "red flag" as it is a less than two year old car), then you need a PPI. In the states, there are mobile guys who can PPI cars. Overseas, you are likely better served to use an independent Porsche repair shop to perform your PPI. If the dealer refuses to allow an external PPI (another "red flag"), you may want to walk away.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:31 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Have them print out the engine operating report showing the rev ranges the engine recorded. That should clear up if the engine was abused.

The GTS has long been referred to the best "value" for the 911 line by many. I ended up with a C4S, just liked some of the features of that model.

Good luck!
Its PDK trans so over revs should not be an issue

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carerra 4 GTS purchase - looking for advice...