Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA - Never a buy a CPO eligible car that is not CPO

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:50 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Some dealers aren't big on paying Porsche for the CPO and don't do a lot of them. Other dealers CPO as many cars as they can.

Many CPO cars have had a lot of issues and undocumented accidents too.

A CPO is just an extended warranty and many dealers will just slap one on with barely spending time on the car.

DO your own due diligence either way. There are no guarantees. You can find a nice pre-owned car at the local Cadillac dealer, and also get a nightmare one at a Porsche dealer with a CPO.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:06 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

While I understand the concern here, I don't entirely agree. A recent non-Porsche example. We traded my wife's very clean 2016 340i in for a 2017 X3. During the transaction, the salesmen noted that in order to CPO it they would have to 1) replace the non RFT tires that we installed within the last 10k miles with RFT tires and 2) remove the intake manifold to inspect the valves due to missing a service interval by a couple thousand miles. They have listed it as a non-CPO (presumably due to those two factors). Does that guarantee that the car will have problems down the road? Those two items will not have any impact on the reliability of the car but could understandably make the CPO process cost prohibitive for the dealership.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,103 Posts

Make sure to paint meter them too, many accidents never get reported to carfax.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:12 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ran into this today while looking at a car. The sales rep told me they do not CPO their used cars, they offer a purchasable warranty instead. Thought this sounded very suspect coming from a Porsche dealer. I asked them if they would CPO the car and salesman said he would ask his manager. I am waiting for the response now. Any advice on this, guessing its a hell no.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:55 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

BS they know CPO sell better and the cost to CPO is small of the car is good.

Remember a warranty that you purchase will have deductibles and exclusions that a CPO would not.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM
grendelrt
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
BS they know CPO sell better and the cost to CPO is small of the car is good.

Remember a warranty that you purchase will have deductibles and exclusions that a CPO would not.
Yeah I told him I wasn't interested in a non CPO car. I would much rather deal with Porsche than some 3rd party company when it comes to my car warranty. At which point he said he would check if they could CPO the car.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:02 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by grendelrt
Yeah I told him I wasn't interested in a non CPO car. I would much rather deal with Porsche than some 3rd party company when it comes to my car warranty. At which point he said he would check if they could CPO the car.
Totally agree.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:26 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

My car was a CPO and as part of the checks they did the 6 year service, new rear tires, new wiper blades, etc.. Also just booked it in for a fix of the Auto-Stop system no problem getting a loaner. Don’t think it would be this easy with a 3rd party warranty.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts

Just had a conversation about this with my dealer yesterday. I’m trading in my Boxster and S3 for a 911 GTS Cab and the decision to CPO the Boxster will be based on the potential buyer’s desire as my sales guy suggested the cost to CPO is approx $7k (they would have to replace my non N0/N1 tires and swap the H&R springs to OEM the ones). The tires still have lots of tread and the car looks great sitting a good 1.5” lower than the non sport OEM height. I would definitely think twice before spending that much for a 2 year extension of warranty with a little more tire tread and a sports car that has the stance of a 4x4.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I freely admit I don't have as much experience on this issue as some (and also, I'm not as paranoid or afraid of latent mechanical problems as some here).

That said: I came very close to buying a car that was traded in to a Porsche dealer in Tennessee that couldn't be CPO'd because it had an aftermarket exhaust and upgraded big brakes on it. It was a $10,000 Akropovic exhaust. Everything else on the car, according to the PPI, was just fine. So the dealer sold the car to a non-Porsche dealer in Georgia, who turned around and very quickly sold it. I think whoever bought that car got a fantastic deal, as long as they like the Akropovic exhaust. All of this was possible because so many people are so reluctant to consider non-CPO cars.

I personally don't get it. Maybe some day if my non-CPO C4S blows up and needs tons of work due to problems that could've been covered by a CPO warranty, I'll change my tune. And then I'll come back here and report my experience. But I doubt that will happen.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not on the warranty only ownership club (All my cars are out of warranty now actually), but rather I'm trying to make people aware that buying a car that was intentionally not CPOed is likely to be considerable trouble.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Some dealers aren't big on paying Porsche for the CPO and don't do a lot of them. Other dealers CPO as many cars as they can.

Many CPO cars have had a lot of issues and undocumented accidents too.

A CPO is just an extended warranty and many dealers will just slap one on with barely spending time on the car.

DO your own due diligence either way. There are no guarantees. You can find a nice pre-owned car at the local Cadillac dealer, and also get a nightmare one at a Porsche dealer with a CPO.
This!!!! A buddy of mine found a stunning Sport Design 2S cab at a Caddy dealer. It had 12,000 miles and even had a powerkit, priced at under $80k. Car was flawless

Quick Reply: PSA - Never a buy a CPO eligible car that is not CPO