911T rear window issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 11:37 AM
droidfan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 911T rear window issue

Hello all,

I recently got a brand new 911 Carrera T in GT Silver color :-)

I have noticed that my rear window is sort or blurry and doing like a wave when I am looking thru it from the inside. This issue is amplified when looking at the rear window thru the inside rear mirror.

As far as I know this special window is also found on the GT2 RS and GT3 RS.

My questions are:

#1 is this a known issue for the T ?

#2 have this issue ever been reported for the GT2 RS and GT3 RS ?

#3 is the replacement of that rear window an easy repair ? I am a bit scared to do the replacement, even done at my Porsche dealership. Who knows what can happen during the replacement...

Thank you for your help and responses.

Fabrice

Old 07-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 368 Posts

1: yes and previously posted
2: yes, see 1
3: ..........

the the glass is made up of a couple of layers, I guess sometimes manufacturing is not perfect. If you google how gorilla glass is made, there are some cool videos.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM
droidfan
Instructor

@Norge911, do you have the link to the thread you are referring ?

What about your comment on #3 and the risk of changing that window ?

Thank you,

Fabrice
Old 07-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Are these windows replaced under warranty?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:51 PM
droidfan
Instructor

Yes this will be done under warranty. They have received the replacement part already.

I am kind of afraid what will happen for that repair, like getting some new cabin noise / cracks because the panels they need to remove are not put back correctly or like the sealing not great. You see the idea.

Fabrice
Old 07-05-2019, 03:59 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by droidfan
Yes this will be done under warranty. They have received the replacement part already.

I am kind of afraid what will happen for that repair, like getting some new cabin noise / cracks because the panels they need to remove are not put back correctly or like the sealing not great. You see the idea.

Fabrice
I would assume that glass will be removed and installed from outside the car. So no panels will be removed. Only the rubber gasket (moulding) around the window. Then the adhesive will be cut out. New adhesive put in and the window pressed into place.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:41 PM
droidfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
I would assume that glass will be removed and installed from outside the car. So no panels will be removed. Only the rubber gasket (moulding) around the window. Then the adhesive will be cut out. New adhesive put in and the window pressed into place.
The lead Service person told me they would need to go first from the inside (don't know why) and then from the outside cut and remove the rear window.

Fabrice
Old 07-05-2019, 05:09 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

No Worries Im sure even the slowest Porsche tech can handle install on a rear window!

RELAX
Old 07-05-2019, 05:18 PM
RG88
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Fabrice
Being detail oriented as well, this is something I would also take into consideration. If the warranty replacement doesn’t need to occur immediately, I would just probably just wait and consider more. You can always get it done before expiration. If going forward you notice other noises, creaks and rattles, then yeah just go for it at that time.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 AM
droidfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by RG88
Being detail oriented as well, this is something I would also take into consideration. If the warranty replacement doesn’t need to occur immediately, I would just probably just wait and consider more. You can always get it done before expiration. If going forward you notice other noises, creaks and rattles, then yeah just go for it at that time.
Thank you all for all of your suggestions. The point is: it is quite visible as the rear mirror is amplifying the defect by some good factor. This is very visible and annoying when you look back.

Fabrice
Old 07-06-2019, 12:29 AM
eroc0808
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I would really be surprised if it was actually your dealer that is performing the glass install. Most dealerships will sub out any glass job that is glued in, to the local glass shop. Not necessarily a bad thing as they do it all day long. At any rate, the glass is glued in with a urethane adhesive which will absolutely be cut out from inside the car. Panels will likely need to be removed to access the wire terminals for defroster. The old urethane will be cleaned off from outside once glass is out. Urethane is then reapplied and new glass pressed in. Since your glass will be factory I wouldn’t be concerned about leaks as fitment will be perfect.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 AM
droidfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by eroc0808
I would really be surprised if it was actually your dealer that is performing the glass install. Most dealerships will sub out any glass job that is glued in, to the local glass shop. Not necessarily a bad thing as they do it all day long. At any rate, the glass is glued in with a urethane adhesive which will absolutely be cut out from inside the car. Panels will likely need to be removed to access the wire terminals for defroster. The old urethane will be cleaned off from outside once glass is out. Urethane is then reapplied and new glass pressed in. Since your glass will be factory I wouldn’t be concerned about leaks as fitment will be perfect.
Thank you.

Yes it is my dealer. They trained one person to do it as far as I know as they are having more and more of them (not only the T) to do.

Hmm, I don't understand the defroster stuff. Do I have one for the rear as there are no "copper lines" in that glass.

Let's hope my new car will go thru this easily.

Fabrice
Old 07-06-2019, 03:07 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

^^^ If it’s the special lightweight rear glass in the T, it has no rear defroster.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 AM
droidfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
^^^ If it’s the special lightweight rear glass in the T, it has no rear defroster.
Yep, I was guessing that.

All, do you know why I have a "rear defrost" button on the console and what is going to happen if I have some fog on my rear window during rainy or cold days ?

Fabrice
Old 07-07-2019, 03:57 AM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I was guessing that.

All, do you know why I have a "rear defrost" button on the console and what is going to happen if I have some fog on my rear window during rainy or cold days ?

Fabrice
The rear defroster button on my T turns on the side mirror defrosters. I have the sport design mirrors and no rear defroster.

Quick Reply: 911T rear window issue