Sponsored by:

911T rear window issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 AM
droidfan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathing32
The rear defroster button on my T turns on the side mirror defrosters. I have the sport design mirrors and no rear defroster.
Thank you, sure I think I have the same. So what are we going to experience and do if there is some fog on the back window and cannot remove it ?!?

Fabrice
Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 PM
droidfan
Instructor

FWIW I got my 991 T back today after doing the rear window replacement. The tech was really great as far as I can see and even the Protective Film Solutions person was impressed by the work done. The glass seem totally clear now.

Now, the 911 T is staying a couple of days at Protective Film Solutions for some Xpel and ClearPlex.

Then, after that I will publish some photos and finally I will be able to drive it without fearing some rock hit here and there.

Fabrice

PS: still cannot believe this issue was not detected at the Porsche factory nor when the car arrived in the US.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Gibsomd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by droidfan
Thank you, sure I think I have the same. So what are we going to experience and do if there is some fog on the back window and cannot remove it ?!?

Fabrice
Fabrice,

You'll have to resort to using your side view mirrors, and may find yourself wishing you'd spec'd the rear window defroster (which would have driven the factory to install the standard Carrera's rear window - which probably wouldn't have needed warranty replacement).

It's disappointing the salesman didn't ensure you realized there was no defroster with the lightweight glass...

Fingers crossed it won't impact your enjoyment of your new T; for me...I'd be OK with the 'cool lightweight glass'.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2019, 02:04 PM
droidfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gibsomd
Fabrice,

You'll have to resort to using your side view mirrors, and may find yourself wishing you'd spec'd the rear window defroster (which would have driven the factory to install the standard Carrera's rear window - which probably wouldn't have needed warranty replacement).

It's disappointing the salesman didn't ensure you realized there was no defroster with the lightweight glass...

Fingers crossed it won't impact your enjoyment of your new T; for me...I'd be OK with the 'cool lightweight glass'.

Cheers
Thank you for your response. I bought it from the parking lot, so there was no way I could spec it. I agree they could have told me that. They were more interested in selling me the car than anything else. FYI they had three (3) 911 T on their lot and they wanted big time to get rid of all of them. Told me that they were not selling ... which lead to a good deal for me. They were saying "not selling well ... globally in the US".

The funny part: on the "911 T owners club" it was confirmed that the production is done and we received 911 units for them in the US. So only 2018 and 2019 models. The value will go up I guess and the interest is going to go up because they are no more produced.

Fabrice
Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Gibsomd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response. I bought it from the parking lot, so there was no way I could spec it. I agree they could have told me that. They were more interested in selling me the car than anything else. FYI they had three (3) 911 T on their lot and they wanted big time to get rid of all of them. Told me that they were not selling ... which lead to a good deal for me. They were saying "not selling well ... globally in the US".

The funny part: on the "911 T owners club" it was confirmed that the production is done and we received 911 units for them in the US. So only 2018 and 2019 models. The value will go up I guess and the interest is going to go up because they are no more produced.

Fabrice
Beautiful car... enjoy it!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:33 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Fabrice
I think most T's right now are a tough sell on dealer lots. Most dealers optioned them like standard 911's, with sunroofs, Bose, etc. comfort options essentially, instead of the lighter weight specs preferred by the enthusiasts on this site. I don't know if that will hurt resale value down the road, but I wouldn't expect values to go up...sure there are plenty of enthusiasts out there who like the idea of the T, but they're probably not going to be interested in the PDK/sunroof/Bose combo anyway.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

I just think in general manual 911's don't move very well off dealer inventory. Sometimes when I'm browsing online, as a manual enthusiast I get frustrated when i see a dealer's entire inventory is Tiptronic, but I'm guessing its not too terrible a business decision for them overall.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 487 Posts

I read in the latest issue of Christophorus that more than 75% of 911s and 718s delivered are PDK now.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
I read in the latest issue of Christophorus that more than 75% of 911s and 718s delivered are PDK now.
That actually seems like a higher percentage of sticks than I would’ve guessed... Porsche clientele might have more holdouts than anyone.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
That actually seems like a higher percentage of sticks than I would’ve guessed... Porsche clientele might have more holdouts than anyone.
I think that’s a worldwide figure. No doubt there’s variance between different countries. I think North America may be above average for popularity of 911s with manual transmission.

Quick Reply: 911T rear window issue