Sponsored by:

Quick Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:46 AM
sigtir
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM

I called the Porsche body shops and asked each one if Geico, Progressive, or mercury was easy or difficult to work with and I **** you not. Most of them said Geico was the EASIEST for them to get what they want done. They told me Allstate, was the nickle and dimer.
Pretty good idea. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I had Allstate and they kept raising my rate each year and we have clean records (amazing!) and no accidents so I started shopping around. Progressive gave me a rate that was about $600 less for 6 months and so far so good. I had a glass claim before my last renewal and the rate was not impacted. Allstate still insures my Harley though since the rate on it is much less than everyone else.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Looking at this same thing coming up this fall. USAA will require I add her to all my vehicles which will jump everything up. So I am actually planning to pay to have her and her car insured by another insurance carrier. Cheaper than upping the rate on all our vehicles, and if she “borrows” any of ours, her separate insurance covers them. And by our state law, if she has her own insurance, they can’t force her on mine as a licensed driver in the household.

-TJ

Last edited by Top Jimmy; 07-20-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:30 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Looking at this same thing coming up this fall. USAA will require I add her to all my vehicles which will jump everything up. So I am actually planning to pay to have her and her car insured by another insurance carrier. Cheaper than upping the rate on all our vehicles, and if she “borrows” any of ours, her separate insurance covers them. And by our state law, if she has her one insurance, they can’t force her on mine as a licensed driver in the household.

-TJ
Good luck! I have my 18 year old daughter and just turned 16 year old son on my USAA policy. When I added my daughter, my total premium went up about $1000/year and she was rated as a secondary driver on a cheap slow car. I felt like that was a reasonable increase. When I added my son to the policy, USAA initially quoted an INCREASE of about $8000/year!! This was because the system defaulted him as primary driver on the 911. After getting that corrected the premium still went up almost $2000/year above and beyond the increase for my daughter. No drivers have any tickets or accidents, no claims ever, honor roll student and drivers ed discounts, and combined homeowners, umbrella, and auto policy discounts. I've been a long time USAA customer, but I have to say I really feel taken advantage of in this situation. I've started to shop around and so far Progressive looks to have the best quote for similar coverage. I can save ~40% across home and auto - why would I not do that?
Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have her on a separate policy, just be certain that she has "drive other car" coverage. Won't help on collision, but could make a big difference on liability if she has as accident in some other car.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:33 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Good luck! I have my 18 year old daughter and just turned 16 year old son on my USAA policy. When I added my daughter, my total premium went up about $1000/year and she was rated as a secondary driver on a cheap slow car. I felt like that was a reasonable increase. When I added my son to the policy, USAA initially quoted an INCREASE of about $8000/year!! This was because the system defaulted him as primary driver on the 911. After getting that corrected the premium still went up almost $2000/year above and beyond the increase for my daughter. No drivers have any tickets or accidents, no claims ever, honor roll student and drivers ed discounts, and combined homeowners, umbrella, and auto policy discounts. I've been a long time USAA customer, but I have to say I really feel taken advantage of in this situation. I've started to shop around and so far Progressive looks to have the best quote for similar coverage. I can save ~40% across home and auto - why would I not do that?
I have had USAA for over 30 years and they have gone way down hill the last three to four years. And I am really not very happy with USAA after my 911 was hit by an unlicensed and uninsured driver last September. It still isn’t settled and I now have an attorney involved. I have shopped with every carrier that does business in AK and have run into issues with what each will and won’t cover between home, umbrella, and auto, and costs. So far USAA has been the default back to, but that may change depending on how this accident gets settled. I may just suck it up and pay more to be rid of them.

I have also had to take them to the state insurance commission woodshed, twice, and they got smacked both times. First was with my 21yo son who moved back for three months between apartments. He had his own car and insurance, but because he is a blood relative in the house, USAA force placed him on my insurance, to the tune of $2,400 increase. Because it is their “policy” to do so. Two months later it was all refunded, plus interest. What they had done was actually illegal in AK.

Then about two months later I get my renewal and they jacked my rate about $1,300 for the next six months. Called to find out why and was told it was the accident. I wasn’t at fault so supervisor looks into it. She says one of our drivers got a ticket. None of us have gotten a ticket and I go round and round. Then I find out through another insurer I was shopping that my son had a ticket (same first and last name, different middle names). So back to USAA who admitted it was my son, and because he had been added to my policy (see above) that they were raising my rate and there was nothing I could do about it until the next renewal. Didn’t matter who I told or contacted that he never should have been added and that the state insurance commission made them fix it. So....... back to the commission and a month later all is fixed.

For my next kid turning 16, I already have the insurance picked out and ready to go that will be cheaper than what USAA quoted by about $1,000, plus it will not only cover the her and vehicle, but whatever vehicle she may borrow. F*** USAA on this one.

-TJ
Old 07-20-2019, 02:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I've been with USAA for over 30 years now. Last year, I left them for auto insurance and went with Allstate. Their rates were 1500/year more. They wouldn't budge so I left. I've never had an accident either.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:19 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

In the process of refinancing our home. Once that is finalized I plan on shopping away from USAA to see what else is out there for our home, rental property, auto and umbrella. They keep jacking up my home insurance coverage each time. House is appraised at 340k and they say I need to insure it for 550 because of rebuilding costs. I say BS.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJG911
In the process of refinancing our home. Once that is finalized I plan on shopping away from USAA to see what else is out there for our home, rental property, auto and umbrella. They keep jacking up my home insurance coverage each time. House is appraised at 340k and they say I need to insure it for 550 because of rebuilding costs. I say BS.
Try Progressive and ask them about your home as well since you may get a much better rate if they insure your home and rides. I was surprised they did so well for us since we have hurricane coverage - most insurance companies will not write home policies here on the coast at any rate.
The following users liked this post:
MJG911 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Interesting to see others' experience recently with USAA. Like I said, I've been very happy and loyal to USAA for 25+ years but now with my kids I am questioning what that loyalty really gets me. It feels like I'm being taken advantage of, which true or not, is a very bad sign for any services company. Switching insurance is a hassle, as I'd move home, auto, and umbrella, but I think I'm going to do it. I'd still have life and other products with USAA so would remain active with them. My homeowners policy has gone up about 40% over the past few years too, with no claims (ever). Never had an auto claim, no tickets for any drivers. It's like they don't want to insure me and I feel like I should be their ideal customer.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911

It is BS. I recently left Geico/Travelers for home insurance. They insisted on coverage about 200k more than needed based on recent sales, current build costs etc.. I called to have insurance reduced and they said their formula to determine insurance needed actually increased and I owed another $300 annually. Ditched them the next day for Allstate and saved 1k annually. I will probably have to play the same game in a few years.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Interesting to see others' experience recently with USAA. Like I said, I've been very happy and loyal to USAA for 25+ years but now with my kids I am questioning what that loyalty really gets me. It feels like I'm being taken advantage of, which true or not, is a very bad sign for any services company. Switching insurance is a hassle, as I'd move home, auto, and umbrella, but I think I'm going to do it. I'd still have life and other products with USAA so would remain active with them. My homeowners policy has gone up about 40% over the past few years too, with no claims (ever). Never had an auto claim, no tickets for any drivers. It's like they don't want to insure me and I feel like I should be their ideal customer.
Do it, insurance companies want people to think that way and they just keep raising rates. Here in FL I can only do 6 month renewals and you know why? So they can raise their rates twice a year!

And I litterly just saw a TV commercial for this new site to compare insurance companies: https://www.thezebra.com/
Old 07-24-2019, 05:36 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 737gdog
It is BS. I recently left Geico/Travelers for home insurance. They insisted on coverage about 200k more than needed based on recent sales, current build costs etc.. I called to have insurance reduced and they said their formula to determine insurance needed actually increased and I owed another $300 annually. Ditched them the next day for Allstate and saved 1k annually. I will probably have to play the same game in a few years.
Are you by chance Bob S. from DL?
Old 07-24-2019, 05:36 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

I hate to say it, but I think USAA started going downhill once they stopped exclusively serving military officers and their families.

Quick Reply: Quick Insurance Question