Sponsored by:

Navigation update

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Navigation update

My dealer just quoted me $500 for 2019 update mapping install . He last update was in 2016 so I guess it maybe every 3 years .
I know a lot of you say just use your phone and I understand . It is not as easy to drive and navigate with phone and read the little screen as it is with nav system in car.
Is the 2019 system updated well ? Have you tried it?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Pricey (but probably no other way to get around the cost for the update), especially compared to other brands (shocking, I know!). I would do it for 1/4 or 1/2 the price. At $500 I would have to think about it a lot lol.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my experience.

I have a 2017 C4S purchased new in 2017/05. In December 2018, after many unsolicited email invitations from Porsche, I signed up for a Porsche Connect Services free one-year trial offer. I added my 911 to our home cell phone plan, received a SIM card, inserted the SIM card into the PCM and saw that a navigation update was available. I started the update and took the car for a 90-minute drive around the suburbs and watched as the update was installed wirelessly. I noticed that the download speed varied as a function of my location around the city. I also noticed some colorful improvements in the PCM map after the update but do not know if the improvements are related to the database update or to the Porsche Connect Services.

I checked the PCM last week (first week in July 2019) and noticed that another navigation update was available. I started the wireless download as before. The second update appears to be larger than the first, so it did not complete before I arrived home. It seems to resume itself and downloads a little bit more each time I drive the car. The second update is not yet fully installed as I haven't driven much recently.

I did not keep track of the navigation database version numbers unfortunately, so I am not sure what it was that I actually downloaded each of the two times.

At the present time I am not planning to purchase the Porsche Connect Services plan when the trial offer expires. I expect to pay for all future updates.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:58 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
My dealer just quoted me $500 for 2019 update mapping install . He last update was in 2016 so I guess it maybe every 3 years .
I know a lot of you say just use your phone and I understand . It is not as easy to drive and navigate with phone and read the little screen as it is with nav system in car.
I installed the Rennline phone mount from Suncoast and it positions the phone so well it's like having a 3rd screen in the car. So now I use Google Maps for navigation, which is very accurate, constantly updated and takes traffic conditions into account, I can see the display very easily, and voice guidance is through the speakers via Bluetooth. Works fine for me.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 PM
David Pflug
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanley Park
Here is my experience.

I have a 2017 C4S purchased new in 2017/05. In December 2018, after many unsolicited email invitations from Porsche, I signed up for a Porsche Connect Services free one-year trial offer. I added my 911 to our home cell phone plan, received a SIM card, inserted the SIM card into the PCM and saw that a navigation update was available. I started the update and took the car for a 90-minute drive around the suburbs and watched as the update was installed wirelessly. I noticed that the download speed varied as a function of my location around the city. I also noticed some colorful improvements in the PCM map after the update but do not know if the improvements are related to the database update or to the Porsche Connect Services.

I checked the PCM last week (first week in July 2019) and noticed that another navigation update was available. I started the wireless download as before. The second update appears to be larger than the first, so it did not complete before I arrived home. It seems to resume itself and downloads a little bit more each time I drive the car. The second update is not yet fully installed as I haven't driven much recently.

I did not keep track of the navigation database version numbers unfortunately, so I am not sure what it was that I actually downloaded each of the two times.

At the present time I am not planning to purchase the Porsche Connect Services plan when the trial offer expires. I expect to pay for all future updates.

Any guidance for how you did the online update. I also got a free year with the purchase of a 2017 CPO 911 C2. Got the trial at&t card. Could not get online map update to work. Other PCM services did work. The folks from Porsche service (there 800 number) tried to walk me through it over the phone. They even predicted the error I would get... Something like "Can't Access Medium"

They also sent a trouble ticket to Germany... Have not heard back.

They then suggested taking it to my Porsche dealer. For a manual update, they didn't have anything to do an update and couldn't get the online serviced to work either.

Any help or guidance would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2019, 03:31 AM
kiddoutlaw
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't updated it yet, but i was quoted $379.99 for software and labor.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 AM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Apple Car Play....
Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Default Apple

Car play would be great but mine is a 2013 no CarPlay option.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:01 AM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Apologies, didn’t realize. On newer cars becomes question of maintaining “connect” at a price vs using the phone interface. I let me daily driver S6 Audi connect lapse in favor of car play. Will be interesting to see if this impacts connected plan pricing in the future.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 332 Posts

I have had the update done on my 991.1. I do not use navigation a lot, but newer roads that had been missing on the old maps are now there. I do not know if there are any functional differences with other functions of the navigation itself or not. There is a couple of earlier threads regarding this topic and in the very early days of the new updates, there was a lot of confusion and lack of knowledge of the process with both dealers and us the consumers, but it sounds like all this has been sorted out by now.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Default carplay

I agree in my denali I have car play and I also don't do the nav thru onstar . I do believe it will make it a dinosaur of the past eventually . Hey but that is the future along with autonomous driving.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by David Pflug
Any guidance for how you did the online update. I also got a free year with the purchase of a 2017 CPO 911 C2. Got the trial at&t card. Could not get online map update to work. Other PCM services did work. The folks from Porsche service (there 800 number) tried to walk me through it over the phone. They even predicted the error I would get... Something like "Can't Access Medium"

They also sent a trouble ticket to Germany... Have not heard back.

They then suggested taking it to my Porsche dealer. For a manual update, they didn't have anything to do an update and couldn't get the online serviced to work either.

Thanks
Same thing here in my 18 T. I can see online map update as part of the connected services through the my.porsche.com portal, but when I click Nav->update in the car I get the No Access to Media error. I don't know if there actually is an update available though. Other online services like google earth etc do work in the car so I know it is getting data. I have not tried calling Porsche yet - may do that next but it sounds like they may not have an answer either.

I'm an Android user but wanted Google Map through CarPlay (since Porsche won't support Android Auto like every other brand) so I bought a cheap used iPhone 6 that I keep in the car for the sole purpose of CarPlay support. It's not ideal but it does work. That said, I still would like the embedded nav to be updated.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:54 AM
kiddoutlaw
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Side note, what version of software is your PCM? Sent PM.

Last edited by kiddoutlaw; 07-24-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Tbounds
Racer

not sure
Old 07-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Pflug
Here are the steps that I followed to update the PCM navigation database wirelessly.

1. Email was received from Porsche Germany with subject “Register for My Porsche to activate Porsche Connect.” A link in the message took me to ‘My Porsche Portal” website where I created an account, registered my car and obtained an 8-digit “pairing number.”

2. I upgraded my home cellphone plan to add a new data-only device and received a SIM card.

3. Another email was received from Porsche with subject “Activate your free 12-month trial period for Porsche Connect services.” The email gave instructions how to activate Porsche Connect.

4. I activated my 12-month free trial on the Porsche Connect website to start the service using the emailed instructions.

5. To minimize problems, I parked car on the street in an area where I knew that cell phone coverage was good. I powered-off PCM by pressing/holding volume button for a few seconds then turned-off ignition and inserted SIM card into PCM. I restarted engine and powered-up PCM. I saw a new message on PCM screen “SIM detected.” The message appeared two or three times over the next few minutes, but the network connection appeared to be intermittent. I removed SIM and reinserted it without powering off PCM. The “SIM detected” message appeared once more and was stable. The SIM card message now appears once every time that I start the car.

6. A YouTube video labelled "Porsche connect adding pairing code to pcm" was used as a guide to enter pairing number.

7. The PCM was shutdown with volume button and engine was stopped/restarted. When the PCM was restarted it came up showing traffic, weather, parking, news apps. I exercised the apps for a few minutes to confirm that they all seemed to work.

8. I went to the download page in the PCM using the PCM button/menu sequence “NAV|OPT|SET NAV|Navigation database update” and saw that a database update was available. I started the download and went for a drive. When I returned home the download showed 80 percent complete. A message on the PCM said that the download would complete after the ignition is turned-off. The next time that I drove the car, I noticed that the update had been completed.

9. Two updates have completed wirelessly successfully so far. My update performed in 2018/12 was simple with no geographic region choice. My update just completed in early 2019/07 was more complex because the download was organized into groups of states and provinces and provided ability for the user to select the geographic regions of interest. Unfortunately, I did not make a record of the database version numbers before/after this exercise.

Hopefully this information may help you fix your problem. This whole process was a matter of trial and error for me. I used bits and pieces of information gleaned from the Internet.The dealer could provide no help at all.

Last edited by Stanley Park; 07-25-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Remove link to video

Quick Reply: Navigation update