Sponsored by:

Carrera T on scales

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 10:23 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,229 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
I still have about 50 lbs more I can pull out before it starts looking like a race car. I still have stock cats - one thing I haven’t looked into is if anyone makes lightweight flywheel and clutch for 9A2 cars.- debating on AC delete.
Regarding clutch and flywheel.

Neinmeister makes a 9A2 flywheel for the 718's. They said they can make one specific for us.

The 911R and GT3 use the same clutch as us. Someone on 992 forum recently fitted a 992 S/T clutch to their GT3. Its a lightweight sprung triple disc Sachs racing clutch. To run this, I believe all we would need is a proper flywheel as ours is different due to the crank bolts. Since the clutch is made by Sachs Racing it would be better to buy it direct from them than Porsche as its less than half the cost, around $1500.

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/...-configuration

Similar to this one but we want triple disc, with organic sprung discs, they can build them however we want. They could probably make us a flywheel too.
https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/...h-883082001534

I would think if we could get 5 or more people that would be interested in this together we could make it happen.

1. Weight savings
2. Snappier revving
3. Increased holding capacity
4. Quicker shifts

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 02-28-2024 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
SpeedCircuit
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

991.2 Carrera Base 7MT. 3217 When it was stock.

Last edited by SpeedCircuit; 02-29-2024 at 03:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpeedCircuit:
Grantsfo (02-28-2024), timothymoffat (03-03-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:22 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Absolutely keep it in your car! With your car's intended purpose, I have no doubt the benefit exceeds the weight penalty. And you are competing, so lap time is the only measure that matters. Every advantage should be taken! To get to 2800, what do you think is left in your car? Carpeting? Interior trim on the pillars? Headliner?

How about pulling the headlights out during competition and replacing with blanks or gutted shells from a salvage vehicle? I did this on one of my race cars. I had headlights I used for racing at night but for day races I ran factory headlight buckets that had all the inner guts stripped out. The could be swapped back and forth in minutes. Modern day lights are fairly heavy!
)
i made decision to pull AC, and I m going to use GT4 Clubsport door cards (see pic), making a rear static ducktail from carbonfiber, considering replacing all heavy carpet and plastics behind b pillars with lightweight carpet. I still have stock cats - looking at cat delete as well.

Last edited by Grantsfo; 02-28-2024 at 10:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grantsfo:
IRunalot (02-29-2024), polobai (03-01-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:43 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,197 Likes on 603 Posts

I feel like at a certain point you’ve destroyed your resale value so much that you could have bought a used Cup car and had a motor more suited to track days along with all of the proper safety equipment and suspension that make a proper race car, and you’d end up losing less money in the long run when you go to sell everything some day. I know I know “I’m never going to sell” but we’ve all heard that before. To each their own, but these kinds of builds are baffling to me when a used Cup car is a great deal for a track toy if you’re this serious about things.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
flsupraguy (02-29-2024), IXLR8 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:54 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,257 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
I feel like at a certain point you’ve destroyed your resale value so much that you could have bought a used Cup car and had a motor more suited to track days along with all of the proper safety equipment and suspension that make a proper race car, and you’d end up losing less money in the long run when you go to sell everything some day. I know I know “I’m never going to sell” but we’ve all heard that before. To each their own, but these kinds of builds are baffling to me when a used Cup car is a great deal for a track toy if you’re this serious about things.
I think that Grantsfo has previously claimed that he could return virtually all modifications to OEM spec. 🤔
Old 02-29-2024, 10:08 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

A project car is fun. Sometimes as much fun as driving. The journey to create and build what you want is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby. If you are in a position to throw resale value out the window, go for it!

Yes, there are more logical choices out there. But buying a built car will never give you the satisfaction of doing something yourself.
The following 3 users liked this post by jakermc:
IRunalot (02-29-2024), MingusDew (02-29-2024), timothymoffat (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,197 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
A project car is fun. Sometimes as much fun as driving. The journey to create and build what you want is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby. If you are in a position to throw resale value out the window, go for it!

Yes, there are more logical choices out there. But buying a built car will never give you the satisfaction of doing something yourself.
Totally fair points. I work on my own car, maintenance/mods/etc., knowing it decreases resellability compared to having 100% service done at the dealer or an independent. I do it not because I can’t afford to pay the shop, but because I enjoy taking stuff apart, seeing how it works, admiring the engineering, and putting it back together. I also buy my cars, hold them a long time, put a ton of miles on them, and don’t cry a bit when I get absolutely nothing but pennies on the dollar at resell because I’ve put 100’s of thousands of miles on the car. The car is an expense, but I’m getting invaluable years of enjoyment throughout the ownership. Best thing is we can all enjoy the cars how we see fit. Hopefully I didn’t come across like too much of a *****. I appreciate your build and the effort you’ve put into it which shows how light these cars can get.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
IRunalot (02-29-2024), Wing Commander (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 11:54 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

Projects like this quite often start innocently and gradually snowball into something larger. A 991.2 at this weight level is truly staggering and a labour of love.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
I think that Grantsfo has previously claimed that he could return virtually all modifications to OEM spec. 🤔
But how many would buy it knowing that and spend the same amount on it as one that hasn't been touched. And in the end, it will never be a 2200 pound car. I have been in a car that was taken to the extreme and used as a daily driver. I could not wait to get out of it. Everything is a compromise.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:59 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

This isn’t a track car? It’s a street class autocross and hillclimb car that I like to take on weekend fun runs etc. Frankly motor is better suited than a cup car motor for those events as it has far more torque - especially in sprint type events in manual transmission car. The 9A2 motor is under appreciated for its capability . I have plenty experience building dedicated track car projects but I’m not building it into a track car.. It’s challenge for me to build lightest street legal Carrera I can. Frankly I’d have no use for a cup car as I rarely go to the track? It would just sit in my garage. Then I’d need to buy a proper trailer and tow rig as well. I also run a 91 octane pump gas tune . Far more expensive to maintain and replace parts on a cup car as well. Dedicated race cars are really a waste of money in my book - dedicated modern Porsche race cars are best saved for well funded race car teams not privateers.

My car will likely be worth more as I’ve put all OEM parts removed into airtight storage boxes, I have all original parts marked. And even in pulling AC I’m leaving AC iines in place so I can eventually reinstall. There isn’t a single thing that can’t be reversed as it’s just bolt ons …my original suspension and muffler only have 500 miles on them. 😂. This 4 year old car only has 7000 miles. So let’s say I decide to sell in 10 years. I’d likely have less than 20,000 miles and many of oem parts would be like new . Seems to me that it would be worth more than same car that was daily driven. But ultimately I really don’t care about resale value. I got a great deal on the car and most of my weight reduction work has been free as it’s just my labor. I rarely do much to motors in any car I build. This one is no exception. Bone stock internals, stock turbos. Just a $1200 tune and a couple bolt ons. Heck it still has stock cats and will pass california smog, 😂

Last edited by Grantsfo; 02-29-2024 at 07:10 PM.
timothymoffat (03-03-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:10 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Originally Posted by IXLR8
But how many would buy it knowing that and spend the same amount on it as one that hasn't been touched. And in the end, it will never be a 2200 pound car. I have been in a car that was taken to the extreme and used as a daily driver. I could not wait to get out of it. Everything is a compromise.
I have a completely stock 981 Boxster S with 18 way sofas that I use for daily driver. I ordered this T with all lightweight options with intent to eventually turn it into fun weekend , ax and hillclimb car. Something that remained street legal but little crazy. Many of the parts I’m using in build are used and bought for pennys on the dollar. I have motorsport hoods, fenders, flares etc that were bought used to keep costs down. When I’ve modified interior pieces I’ve ordered replacements to put into storage . My hope is that someone inherits the car and can have project of restoring it to oem condition a few decades from now. And while it won’t be a 2200 lb car it will be 2800 lbs with 500 hp and is a ton of fun to drive in mountains where I live …and in autocross it’s a hoot to drive.

Last edited by Grantsfo; 02-29-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:53 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

……He he he. I’ve been busy for past couple days! Wonder if I’m one of lightest street legal 991.2 Carreras yet? 2830 lbs with 1/8th tank of fuel and I still hAve another easy 25 lbs to pull.

The following 8 users liked this post by Grantsfo:
Alc (03-02-2024), catdog2 (03-02-2024), IRunalot (03-05-2024), jakermc (03-02-2024), minh (03-06-2024), SpeedCircuit (03-02-2024), timothymoffat (03-03-2024), Wing Commander (03-02-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-2024, 10:58 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

That’s amazing to see the weight reduction. I’m a fan of all with the exception of removing the ac/hvac but I’m sure it helps for what you are going for. Love the build-wish I could get close to 3000lbs…I was at 3175 with a 1/4 tank prior to my new wheels. I’m guessing I’m around 5-10 lbs lighter now with going to 19s.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:37 AM
Grantsfo
Racer

Originally Posted by polobai
That’s amazing to see the weight reduction. I’m a fan of all with the exception of removing the ac/hvac but I’m sure it helps for what you are going for. Love the build-wish I could get close to 3000lbs…I was at 3175 with a 1/4 tank prior to my new wheels. I’m guessing I’m around 5-10 lbs lighter now with going to 19s.
I’m actually considering a portable AC unit that I can use for warm trips and for when I’m sitting on grid at hot hillclimbs . I use a blue tooth speaker now for stereo. If it is too much of a pain I’ll just put condensers and aC pump back on . All my aluminum plumbing is still in place so fairly easy to get AC back but I’ve have had 3 cars without AC and no issues.

im even more confident now I’m going to be in 2750 range once I’m finished.

Last edited by Grantsfo; 03-02-2024 at 01:39 AM.
polobai (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 05:55 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,257 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
……He he he. I’ve been busy for past couple days! Wonder if I’m one of lightest street legal 991.2 Carreras yet? 2830 lbs with 1/8th tank of fuel and I still hAve another easy 25 lbs to pull.

Good work! I’d be amazed if there’s another road legal 991.2 Carrera out there that is lighter than yours!

Mine has manual transmission, no sunroof, 4-way seats and standard stereo. It does have rear seats & standard glass, as it’s my sole car and a daily driver. The only weight-saving mod I’ve done is to fit the forged Apex wheels!

Last edited by Wing Commander; 03-02-2024 at 05:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wing Commander:
Grantsfo (03-02-2024), polobai (03-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Carrera T on scales