Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG Porsche 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS Cab gets a more aggressive look and stance

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:35 AM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That wing got me thinking for my Targa 4GTS....
Old 06-19-2019, 02:41 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Very nice work! I agree about the wing, though. Looks 996-ish. Not bad, just a bit dated looking. And, the whole car would look much better as a coup, rather than a cab. Just my $0.02.

Also, I do understand that the customer requested this build. You did a great job, bet he is happy!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by vipertom 1970
You would have to make sure it cleared the glass cleared the wing when opening and closing.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by vipertom 1970
It should clear. It's really close, so you can't use the extended risers, but it'll clear.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Very nice work! I agree about the wing, though. Looks 996-ish. Not bad, just a bit dated looking. And, the whole car would look much better as a coup, rather than a cab. Just my $0.02.

Also, I do understand that the customer requested this build. You did a great job, bet he is happy!
This got me curious about the difference between retro and dated... will the TechArt wing becomes retro at some point? The ducktails are considered retro and pretty popular from what I have read. Big wings and 911’s have been around for decades. Is it just a trend right now to de-wing? I noticed while reading the 993 forum that a few owners are removing the fixed Rs style wings and going back to actuated spoilers.

On the 991.2 the OEM sports design spoiler is a mini ducktail. There is no aero “wing” option which might be due to the complication of air flow to the ICs. This has made for a very tricky issue, how to achieve a more aggressive look without ruining the look of the rear end. I have been waiting patiently for someone to offer a good solution. I keep coming back to the TechArt type2 as being the best proven solution. However I’m waiting to see Koven’s in the flesh before I commit.

I wonder if a 992 aero package will suddenly bring wings back in to popularity?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Everything I have done to my car is for me, and if someone wants to call it retro or dated, which some 992 people are already started to call 991s, so be it. More buy GT3s that have wings vice the Touring, which do not. With that said, I do not see any trends at all, and even if there were I would not be part of any unless it appealed to me.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:21 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

One thing this owner didn't do is your carbon fiber airfoils. Any interest in a group buy or special pricing on those? Feel free to PM if easier.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:36 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
This got me curious about the difference between retro and dated... will the TechArt wing becomes retro at some point? The ducktails are considered retro and pretty popular from what I have read. Big wings and 911’s have been around for decades. Is it just a trend right now to de-wing? I noticed while reading the 993 forum that a few owners are removing the fixed Rs style wings and going back to actuated spoilers.

On the 991.2 the OEM sports design spoiler is a mini ducktail. There is no aero “wing” option which might be due to the complication of air flow to the ICs. This has made for a very tricky issue, how to achieve a more aggressive look without ruining the look of the rear end. I have been waiting patiently for someone to offer a good solution. I keep coming back to the TechArt type2 as being the best proven solution. However I’m waiting to see Koven’s in the flesh before I commit.

I wonder if a 992 aero package will suddenly bring wings back in to popularity?
The risers for the Techart II wing do give it a different look. Unfortunately you can't use them with a cab/targa as they make the wing too high.
Don't think the whole wing removal thing is really a trend per se. It's just people wanting the power, handling, and package with the classic 911 shape. There have been a lot of 991.x GT3/2 RS owners that have taken their wings off in favor of that shape. Rather than buying a lower trim 911 with no wing and modding it to increase the performance, buy a GT car and take the wing off. Though it does nothing for overall handling/performance of the car, maybe that's easier for these people?

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Everything I have done to my car is for me, and if someone wants to call it retro or dated, which some 992 people are already started to call 991s, so be it. More buy GT3s that have wings vice the Touring, which do not. With that said, I do not see any trends at all, and even if there were I would not be part of any unless it appealed to me.
That's how it should be, you build, mod, or spec a car to your taste and needs. After all, you're the one driving it
Old 06-23-2019, 01:06 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KP993
Well done GMG. I wonder how you are able to achieve that flush look at the rear with lowering springs and stock wheels.
Would love to know this as well.

Quick Reply: GMG Porsche 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS Cab gets a more aggressive look and stance