Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These vids are pretty informative if you haven't seen them:

Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 552 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.

The coating protects the film as well as the paint and makes the car easier to clean and maintains the paint's clarity and shine, prevents stains, and it makes cleaning much easier. And it is far from "useless". You will not see me busting my *** waxing my car, introducing swirls, etc. and I use Opti-Rinse in my garage with a waffle towel and I never need a hose & bucket. For the little bit of money if cost for the coating it was a no-brainer for me.
The film is soft, and ceramic is not. It is like hard frosting on a cake, makes no sense.

Washing? If you car is properly waxed washing is a breeze. If you introduce swirls when waxing, then you should not be waxing. I have never waxed a car and left swirl marks behind.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
The film is soft, and ceramic is not. It is like hard frosting on a cake, makes no sense.

Washing? If you car is properly waxed washing is a breeze. If you introduce swirls when waxing, then you should not be waxing. I have never waxed a car and left swirl marks behind.
Do what you want but the vast majority who do PPF have a ceramic coating applied over it. I am hoping a pro shop will chime in and back me up here since some people just don't want to listen.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Do what you want but the vast majority who do PPF have a ceramic coating applied over it. I am hoping a pro shop will chime in and back me up here since some people just don't want to listen.
The reality is that PPF does not need to be coated. Does it hurt coating it? Who knows... If you have the money and makes you feel better, then go for it.

Do what makes you happy.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Approximately what are you guys paying for PPF, ceramic etc? Around $5k?
I paid 5500 to have the entire car PPF'd and about $30 for a bottle of Hydrosilex. Not worth paying several hundred to protect a plastic wrapper when the DIY cheap stuff works just as well, only not as long. (About 6 months on the daily so far and still shedding the water).
Old 07-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Of course a pro shop will back you up... It is to their advantage.

The reality is that PPF does not need to be coated. Does it hurt coating it? Who know... If you have the money and makes you feel better, then go for it.
I meant for a shop to tell the uneducated why it is a good idea and not just that it should be done - I did not get what I have today by wasting it on snake oil yesterday. And if you want to wax your car numerous times over the next several years go for it, and I bet my paint will look much better after several years than yours with 10 times less effort.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

I meant for a shop to tell the uneducated why it is a good idea and not just that it should be done - I did not get what I have today by wasting it on snake oil yesterday. And if you want to wax your car numerous times over the next several years go for it, and I bet my paint will look much better after several years than yours with 10 times less effort.
I love waxing... It is soothing and makes me mindful. I can spend hours taking care of my cars.

LOL at snake oil comment, first time I hear it; had to Google it.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

I love waxing... It is soothing and makes me mindful. I can spend hours taking care of my cars.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I like the time spent washing and detailing my car. I enjoy trying different products and methods.

For anyone else's vehicle I recommend ceramic 100%. My wife has a Macan set for delivery at the end of October. It will get full PPF and ceramic just because I don't have enough time to dote on her car as much as I dote on mine.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:13 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

LOL at snake oil comment, first time I hear it; had to Google it.
Ha! Up until this car I used to wax everyone and over time I would get little swirls, etc. but when I picked up my ordered 911 I took it right to the PPF Shop and had him do it all and I will never wax again after what I have seen and how it performs.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Stick to Objective Results from Testing and Evaluation

The reality is that PPF does not need to be coated. Does it hurt coating it? Who knows... If you have the money and makes you feel better, then go for it.

Do what makes you happy.
Actually, this is incorrect. PPF needs to have some form of UV protection per the manufacturers' warranties. They each carry a 10 year warranty against yellowing, fading, delaminating, etc., and part of that warranty requires a protectant to be applied. Coatings are simply the longest lasting form of that UV protection, while waxes and sealants are completely sufficient, too.

This is not true. Coatings, while hard in their nature, are not thick enough to prevent the "soft" PPF from self-healing when it endures some form of scratch or swirl. We've tested this and observed that you can still scratch the film through the coating, and that you can still self-heal the film with heat or hot water. In applying coatings on top of the film, you are are harnessing the coating's ability to make cleaning the car very easy; you give up the coating's ability to prevent scratches, because the PPF is going to be far better at this in the first place.

Coatings, when layered to their max, only add up to around 2-3 microns (0.12 mils/thousandths of an inch). PPF is 8 mils thick (~200 microns thick). That means that the max amount of coating on top of the PPF would only equate to 2% of the total protection on the car. For reference, a layer of wax or sealant is so thin that it isn't measurable.

Yes! Whether you want to wax, seal, or coat your car's PPF, it's up to you. Most people are opting for coatings because they simply last the longest, and put down the most amount of material on the surface of the PPF/paint.

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I'm kinda in the same boat. I like the time spent washing and detailing my car. I enjoy trying different products and methods.

For anyone else's vehicle I recommend ceramic 100%. My wife has a Macan set for delivery at the end of October. It will get full PPF and ceramic just because I don't have enough time to dote on her car as much as I dote on mine.
Exactly right- do what you enjoy and what you have time for! We have a lot of customers who like the ease of clean up and relative lack of maintenance that comes with coatings. Others enjoy waxing their cars once a month. It's personal preference, but the foundation is the same: keep your car protected while making it look its best.

Ha! Up until this car I used to wax everyone and over time I would get little swirls, etc. but when I picked up my ordered 911 I took it right to the PPF Shop and had him do it all and I will never wax again after what I have seen and how it performs.
Swirls and scratches almost always come from how the car is being washed and dried. If you are not washing and drying the car properly, they will appear no matter what kind of protection you use on the car. With PPF on the car, you have a HUGE amount of leeway that you could never get with a wax, sealant, or coating.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I rest my case.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Why not ceramic coating over PPF? I have it that way on mine and I would bet that most here have it that way as well.
Just my opinion. I really enjoy cleaning and waxing my car and i get it corrected once a year so Ceramic isn't for me.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:09 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

I paid about $3k for Suntek Pro on the hood, front fenders, bumper, mirrors, door handle pockets, A pillar, a foot up on the sides and bottom in the rear, Opti-Coat Pro on the entire car including wheels off, & paint correction to start.

The coating protects the film as well as the paint and makes the car easier to clean and maintains the paint's clarity and shine, prevents stains, and it makes cleaning much easier. And it is far from "useless". You will not see me busting my *** waxing my car, introducing swirls, etc. and I use Opti-Rinse in my garage with a waffle towel and I never need a hose & bucket. For the little bit of money if cost for the coating it was a no-brainer for me.
If you're washing with zero water you are introducing swirls...........
Old 07-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
If you're washing with zero water you are introducing swirls...........
It does not sound like you have a clue what Opti-Rinse is.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:23 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

It does not sound like you have a clue what Opti-Rinse is.
Where does the dirt go once you wipe it off? You don't loosen dirt and spray heavy stuff off before Opti? If it was swirl proof then every detailer in the world would be using it because its so much easier/tidier etc. To each his own. I'm not here to argue.

Quick Reply: PP Film or Ceramic coating...