Sponsored by:

PP Film or Ceramic coating...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Where does the dirt go once you wipe it off? You don't loosen dirt and spray heavy stuff off before Opti? If it was swirl proof then every detailer in the world would be using it because its so much easier/tidier etc. To each his own. I'm not here to argue.
But you continue to argue. The "dirt" you are talking about is more like dust, the stuff that settles on your car when driving. I don't drive in the rain but I live on the beach so the dust sticks to the salt film that settles on the car as well. Anyway, I mist a section of the car, say half the hood, and wipe it off with a waffle towel and the dirt/dust gets trapped in the towel. I flip it around and usually go through 2 waffle towels for the whole car and up until now I have not introduced one swirl or scratch. As I said, this is the first car I had this done to and my installer told me what to do for the best results and it works. Now if I took a road trip and the car really got dirty I would rinse it off with a hose to get the bulk of the dirt off and wash it with the 2 bucket method, clean microfiber sponges, etc. but in the last 3k miles I have not had to do that. Ceramic Coating over PPF appears to be the best protection with the least maintenance, for not a lot of money, and I stand by it. By the way, Opt-Rinse is 99% water.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Ceramic can’t protect your paint from rock chips, no matter how much they try to persuade you. My hood have several rock chips that beat up my PPF pretty bad but lucky the paint is new underneath the film. Do the PPF first, then ceramic later whenever you want to because they have to do full paint correction again anyway.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Ceramic can’t protect your paint from rock chips, no matter how much they try to persuade you. My hood have several rock chips that beat up my PPF pretty bad but lucky the paint is new underneath the film. Do the PPF first, then ceramic later whenever you want to because they have to do full paint correction again anyway.
Agree 100%; however, I have never heard anyone say that ceramic protects paint from rocks, and if someone did I would run away, very fast.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Here is some pictures to compare color, front has full PPF and rear end naked.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Do the PPF first, then ceramic later whenever you want to because they have to do full paint correction again anyway.
Not sure paint correction is the right term for it if the car has full PPF. You aren't touching the paint at that point; you are getting contaminants off the PPF.

I've never thought about that before. How does one properly prep PPF for ceramic if the PPF has been exposed to the elements? I thought I once heard you aren't supposed to clay PPF.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:06 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Not sure paint correction is the right term for it if the car has full PPF. You aren't touching the paint at that point; you are getting contaminants off the PPF.

I've never thought about that before. How does one properly prep PPF for ceramic if the PPF has been exposed to the elements? I thought I once heard you aren't supposed to clay PPF.
They can’t do paint correction on the PPF but they can correct the paint on the parts that are not cover with film. I just had my doors, roof and rear end paint corrected and apply 1 coat of ceramic on the entire car last week. Look glossy and no more swirls but I am sure sealant or wax can provide almost the same gloss but I am too lazy for spending 6-7 hours doing it. Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Also, ceramic coating for naked paint are different than ceramic coating on the PPF.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Paint correction is done on paint, not PPF, to prepare it for PPF or ceramic coating, or both.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

They can’t do paint correction on the PPF but they can correct the paint on the parts that are not cover with film. I just had my doors, roof and rear end paint corrected and apply 1 coat of ceramic on the entire car last week. Look glossy and no more swirls but I am sure sealant or wax can provide almost the same gloss but I am too lazy for spending 6-7 hours doing it. Thanks for the correction.
Somehow in my head we were talking about full PPFs. I'm getting older and losing my mind.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default 2600

2600 for everything but decklid. Wrapped edges where possible without using a knife (they can make template bigger). Did not do lights or remove letters or emblem due to level of risk. Xpel, very nice product. I use their regular ppf formulated wax and it looks just like paint. I would not put any product formulated for water based paints on plastic.

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Approximately what are you guys paying for PPF, ceramic etc? Around $5k?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail
Actually, this is incorrect. PPF needs to have some form of UV protection per the manufacturers' warranties. They each carry a 10 year warranty against yellowing, fading, delaminating, etc., and part of that warranty requires a protectant to be applied. Coatings are simply the longest lasting form of that UV protection, while waxes and sealants are completely sufficient, too.
Please show me where they require a protectant to be applied: 3M Paint Protection Warranty
They do not state "You shall apply a protectant or your warranty will be voided".

I'm interested because I have PPF and maybe I'm missing some secret warranty.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Somehow in my head we were talking about full PPFs. I'm getting older and losing my mind.
That's what I understood too...
Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Where does the dirt go once you wipe it off? You don't loosen dirt and spray heavy stuff off before Opti? If it was swirl proof then every detailer in the world would be using it because its so much easier/tidier etc. To each his own. I'm not here to argue.
When we’re ever doing a warranty claim, our reps always ask us how the client is maintaining their car. If we let them know we applied a nano coating, client has a proper wash/maintenance routine and applying a proper protective spray sealant, the element of poor home care is taken off the table.

You don’t have to nano the ppf, but it WILL prolong life of film, make maintenance easier, and keep the aesthetics aspect of the film as close to new as possible.

and nano coatings applied to film don’t need to cost an arm and leg and if proper brand chosen, DIY can apply it at home. So, no argument needed that “the pros” are taking your money and only they can apply it 🤙
The following 4 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
Esoteric_Detail (07-11-2019), gotgolf52 (07-11-2019), Guards_Red_991 (07-12-2019), MJG911 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Update...

In the shop for Ceramic Pro...
Old 07-15-2019, 04:24 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
When we’re ever doing a warranty claim, our reps always ask us how the client is maintaining their car. If we let them know we applied a nano coating, client has a proper wash/maintenance routine and applying a proper protective spray sealant, the element of poor home care is taken off the table.

You don’t have to nano the ppf, but it WILL prolong life of film, make maintenance easier, and keep the aesthetics aspect of the film as close to new as possible.

and nano coatings applied to film don’t need to cost an arm and leg and if proper brand chosen, DIY can apply it at home. So, no argument needed that “the pros” are taking your money and only they can apply it 🤙
Thanks Moe. Do you use Opti at your shop?

Quick Reply: PP Film or Ceramic coating...