Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   PP Film or Ceramic coating... (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1146999-pp-film-or-ceramic-coating.html)

Zeus993 06-09-2019 10:42 AM

PPF or Ceramic coating...

Hey all - I was initially set on PPF for the front end of my new CT. Now I'm looking at just going 100% Ceramic.

I've heard the PPF changes the colour of the paint and I'm not tracking it and should be able to be disciplined enough to stay far back enough from those wide-ass, rock-spitting GT3s.

Thoughts anyone?

TIA

LexVan 06-09-2019 10:47 AM

Do both. But, paint correction first.

Gordon Shumway 06-09-2019 10:48 AM

I suspect your answer around here is going to be both. https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f063191db8.gif

But if it is any help, I have the full front coverage with PPF (no ceramic at all), and it doesn't change the color any that I can see. My car is Carmine Red.

Dbull65 06-09-2019 11:08 AM

Do both, and Lex is right, paint correction first, then PPF, then Ceramic Coat. It is amazing.

ShaunP 06-09-2019 11:52 AM

Ceramic coating will not protect your car from rock chips and road debris. If that is a concern, you need PPF. The newer PPFs, when the car is dismantled and edges wrapped, are getting harder to detect.

Ceramic coating will make maintaining your paint easier. For all of the bs marketing out there, you really need to think of ceramic coating more like a long term sealant/wax. It will enhance gloss, have hydrophobic properties, and help to prevent things like bird droppings from etching the paint. Ceramic coatings have their downsides as well. They need their own maintenance regimen and yet they can still mar and have swirls in them; many of them are very prone to water spots.

If you want to have perfectly corrected paint all of the time it’s better to avoid ceramic coatings and go with a traditional polymer sealant and wax as trying to compound off a ceramic coating is a huge pain in the ass.

Bob Z. 06-09-2019 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus993 (Post 15895977)
Hey all - I was initially set on PPF for the front end of my new CT. Now I'm looking at just going 100% Ceramic.

I've heard the PPF changes the colour of the paint and I'm not tracking it and should be able to be disciplined enough to stay far back enough from those wide-ass, rock-spitting GT3s.

Thoughts anyone?

TIA

Is your car Red, as in your avatar? I did all 3 and could not see doing anything less.

DaveGee 06-09-2019 12:57 PM

That’s an old myth. PPF will not change the color of your car. It will protect it from road rash. Just do it.

DaveGee

good2go 06-09-2019 01:04 PM

PPF only.

Speed2k 06-09-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by DaveGee (Post 15896146)
That’s an old myth. PPF will not change the color of your car. It will protect it from road rash. Just do it.

DaveGee

I don't think it's a myth per se, but the PPF has gotten much better over the years. If you go like to go on spirited drives I think it's worthwhile to do.

Jim991 06-09-2019 01:24 PM

Do both.

Bxstr 06-09-2019 01:41 PM

Do paint protection film. Do the full front, then ceramic coat over it and do the rest of the car. The chips are going to look terrible even after just a couple thousand miles.

Jack F 06-09-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15896230)
Do paint protection film. Do the full front, then ceramic coat over it and do the rest of the car. The chips are going to look terrible even after just a couple thousand miles.

Winner!

MoeMistry 06-09-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by DaveGee (Post 15896146)

DaveGee

+1...ppf for the impact and nano/ceramic coating for added brilliance and ease of maintenance.

installer is key for both services. Look around and do your homework and check out the work of perspective shops.

good luck and let us know how it turns out

fastforddriver 06-09-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15895985)
Do both. But, paint correction first.

I received my brand new Targa last month.

I had a paint correction done (even a brand new car needs it), then front-half PPF followed by full "triple coat" ceramic. You can't tell the wrap is on unless you get real, real close and look at a frunk corner or something. The ceramic coating has made bugs and stuff very, very easy to clean off so far.

It wasn't necessarily cheap but I think it was all worth it.

PCA1983 06-09-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus993 (Post 15895977)

Thoughts anyone?
TIA

Why would you want to subject your paint to road rash by sand and gravel? Ceramic does not protect paint from road rash. And it keeps paint looking otherwise good for a limited period of time.