Sponsored by:

PP Film or Ceramic coating...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default ppf only

Plat silver here and can still see all yhe flake perfectly. Waterbased paints (as dictated by epa rules some years back) is awful. Manufacturers compound this issue by only spraying it 3mm thick. A very small pebble goes right through. Ceramic does not increase thickness or avoid stone chips in any way.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunP
Ceramic coating will not protect your car from rock chips and road debris. If that is a concern, you need PPF. The newer PPFs, when the car is dismantled and edges wrapped, are getting harder to detect.

Ceramic coating will make maintaining your paint easier. For all of the bs marketing out there, you really need to think of ceramic coating more like a long term sealant/wax. It will enhance gloss, have hydrophobic properties, and help to prevent things like bird droppings from etching the paint. Ceramic coatings have their downsides as well. They need their own maintenance regimen and yet they can still mar and have swirls in them; many of them are very prone to water spots.

If you want to have perfectly corrected paint all of the time it’s better to avoid ceramic coatings and go with a traditional polymer sealant and wax as trying to compound off a ceramic coating is a huge pain in the ***.

This is great advice! I have found ceramic coating to scratch and almost impossible to successfully correct.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Zonian
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

At least full front PPF by the best installer you can find, then ceramic if you run out of things to worry about.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

PPF Only. No need before or over PPF. Actually, you can compromise installation of PPF by having a coating. KISS (Keep it simple stupid). IMHO coatings have more negative consequences than advantages. If you wash your car regularly you just need a Polymer or liquid synthetic wax to keep your car looking brand new. It also helps if you learn to machine polish with a finishing polish to keep your paint free of swirls. This is coming from someone with PPF only in the front and rockers with exposed paint on doors and rear of the car.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default A quick shot-out for PPF...

Hey guys - just an update on this thread.

I did go ahead and have a good local installer add PPF (Premium Shield) to the front of the T, including the headlights. I did not do the windshield, the side rockers etc...

I was on my EPIC 3000Kms trip and this is what happened on a B-road, with a ton of rocks on the roads, traveling behind a car, perhaps to close and driving a bit too aggressively. The tears are the full thickness of the PPF yet no damage to the paint. My installer replaced the front hood and it looks like new.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

My lord man, were you following a 4x4 off road?! All I can say is you were lucky the paint was not damaged!
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunP
Ceramic coating will not protect your car from rock chips and road debris. If that is a concern, you need PPF. The newer PPFs, when the car is dismantled and edges wrapped, are getting harder to detect.

Ceramic coating will make maintaining your paint easier. For all of the bs marketing out there, you really need to think of ceramic coating more like a long term sealant/wax. It will enhance gloss, have hydrophobic properties, and help to prevent things like bird droppings from etching the paint. Ceramic coatings have their downsides as well. They need their own maintenance regimen and yet they can still mar and have swirls in them; many of them are very prone to water spots.

If you want to have perfectly corrected paint all of the time it’s better to avoid ceramic coatings and go with a traditional polymer sealant and wax as trying to compound off a ceramic coating is a huge pain in the ***.
Agreed 100%. Couldnt imagine ceramic coating over PPF. PPF doesn't change the cars color and you can't avoid rocks, gravel etc. I fought the PPF but I'm now a believer. If you don't like washing and waxing your car then maybe Ceramic is for you
Old 07-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
Agreed 100%. Couldnt imagine ceramic coating over PPF. PPF doesn't change the cars color and you can't avoid rocks, gravel etc. I fought the PPF but I'm now a believer. If you don't like washing and waxing your car then maybe Ceramic is for you
Why not ceramic coating over PPF? I have it that way on mine and I would bet that most here have it that way as well.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

i thought the thought process was that the ceramic coating will give some rejection capabilities to the PPF that is fairly soft and partially penetratable by road grit.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:38 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,133 Likes on 680 Posts

Approximately what are you guys paying for PPF, ceramic etc? Around $5k?
Old 07-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Just ppf is all you need - let the next owner do all the other useless stuff
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Why not ceramic coating over PPF? I have it that way on mine and I would bet that most here have it that way as well.
For what purpose? What is the ceramic protecting?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Approximately what are you guys paying for PPF, ceramic etc? Around $5k?
I paid about $3k for Suntek Pro on the hood, front fenders, bumper, mirrors, door handle pockets, A pillar, a foot up on the sides and bottom in the rear, Opti-Coat Pro on the entire car including wheels off, & paint correction to start.

The coating protects the film as well as the paint and makes the car easier to clean and maintains the paint's clarity and shine, prevents stains, and it makes cleaning much easier. And it is far from "useless". You will not see me busting my *** waxing my car, introducing swirls, etc. and I use Opti-Rinse in my garage with a waffle towel and I never need a hose & bucket. For the little bit of money if cost for the coating it was a no-brainer for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
AdamSanta85 (07-10-2019), Zeus993 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

that's what I did + rocker panels and hips
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Do paint protection film. Do the full front, then ceramic coat over it and do the rest of the car. The chips are going to look terrible even after just a couple thousand miles.
That's what I did + full rocker panels and hips

Quick Reply: PP Film or Ceramic coating...