Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Around here you run the risk of getting shot doing that
Its unfortunate that around there it has come
to that over a road conflict.

At the end of the day I don’t wish to advocate or defend my choice in this situation. I merely included it for completeness of the story. Sometimes surviving to tell the tale is enough. To each their own. But the Universe keeps producing more bad drivers so in the end whaddya gonna do. Wish there were more strict driver licensing/certification and enforcement of laws aimed at curbing bad driving behaviour but there’s an extreme side to that as well. Its really an insane thing we all do together (hurl 3,000lbs machines down a paved road independently but amongst each other and hope it all works out every time).
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 405 Posts

Interesting thread. I try not to let other drivers bother me. My car is more capable than most other cars on the road. In all of 25 years of long distance commuting 150 miles a day, what I have observed is that most drivers are polite and considerate. A small minority (maybe 5%) are aggressive and pose a danger to themselves and others. All big urban areas (including Boston where I used to commute) have massive traffic problems and seem to bring out the worst in people. Driving has become very stressful and boring at the same time.

Anyway, empty twisty backroads is where I have the most fun in my 911. On busy highways, I avoid any kind of contact with other drivers and drive as defensively as I can. I would hate to be responsible if somebody crashed their car even if they were in the wrong.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Any car painted in gold or it's variations - danger ahead

RV's driving at 7 mph in the canyons of the Santa Monica mountains - usually 15/20 cars need to pack behind them. Plus, they reduce visibility of conditions ahead, so one is at the mercy of their driving skills.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 PM
smokeman
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by loneregister
I do have to admit the 55-65 in the fast lane really, really gets me.
And - another pet peeve. The fast lane is for experienced drives who wish to travel far.
They should understand that when you go UP a hill, you need more pressure on the gas pedal. Out here in LA - people just don't understand maintaining speed even on elevation changes. If we could educate people on that - the 405 would be a breeze!!!
you could shoot half the people on the 405 and it still wouldn't be a breeze...
Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
Any car painted in gold or it's variations - danger ahead

RV's driving at 7 mph in the canyons of the Santa Monica mountains - usually 15/20 cars need to pack behind them. Plus, they reduce visibility of conditions ahead, so one is at the mercy of their driving skills.
That's why we need missiles.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
That's why we need missiles.
What would Porsche’s option price be on those? I’m struggling with if they’d be more or less than PTS.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:48 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
You seem to be treating them equally. This is clearly not the case as Prius is approaching 45x worse than the other 2.

A Prius driver is definitionally going to be bad because anyone who would choose to drive such a car clearly considers the act of driving to be, at best, an inconvenience and therefore will always be bad at it.
It's been typically one of those 3 types of cars that usually drive stupid, doesn't pay attention, talks on their phone as they drive, goes 50 mph on the fast lane, doesn't use their turn signals, forgets to turn on their lights at night, most likely to cut you off, forget their turn signal is on the whole freaking time, An uber/lyft driver that doesn't follow road rules, I can go on and on, but my god, when it's an offender, it's usually a driver of one of those 3 vehicles, more than likely it's a damn Prius.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Just got my daily dose of wonderful south florida drivers on my way in this morning. I am in the left lane (of course) on the highway and stuck behind an suv which is slightly back but essentially pacing the 18 wheeler in the lane next to us. I assume at this point he will move over behind the big rig to allow myself and the few cars behind me to pass as there is absolutely no one in front of him. But sure enough, he maintains his speed and a line forms behind him. I gave him a quick flash to pass and still nothing. Eventually, we finally make it past the 18 wheeler and he still does not move over. At this point, I move over to pass him on the right as that lane is clear and when I glance over at the driver he flips me the bird. Gotta love sharing the road with these people.
"Rolling Roadblock!"
I see this often.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw a good one today...Hyundai Sonata in the left lane of 2 lane express lanes on 405...coming up to section where cars are merging on to the freeway from the left, he (or she, didn't see) accelerated to try and block the merging car from joining the freeway but not really hard enough so they were side by side for a while, started to look very dangerous because the car merging had nowhere to go and another merging car close behind him. I was about 100 yards behind all this in the right lane and I slowed because it looked like something bad might happen but in the end a bad accident was narrowly avoided. Why do so many Americans think a car merging in front of them is personal insult??? Not seen this very much in other countries.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by sr5959
Saw a good one today...Hyundai Sonata in the left lane of 2 lane express lanes on 405...coming up to section where cars are merging on to the freeway from the left, he (or she, didn't see) accelerated to try and block the merging car from joining the freeway but not really hard enough so they were side by side for a while, started to look very dangerous because the car merging had nowhere to go and another merging car close behind him. I was about 100 yards behind all this in the right lane and I slowed because it looked like something bad might happen but in the end a bad accident was narrowly avoided. Why do so many Americans think a car merging in front of them is personal insult??? Not seen this very much in other countries.
People get pissed when you try to Zipper even though it's the fastest for traffic. They'd rather sit on the left then get pissed at mergers.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe because the majority of people don't attempt to merge onto the highway at the speed of the surrounding traffic? I see people get on the freeway going far slower than even those in the far right lane of the freeway everyday. In Philadelphia there are multiple on ramps that are maybe 200 yards, so you need to get up to speed ASAP to join the road. That was a surprise to me coming from CA. What is the law actually, who has the right of way? I always try and avoid the merging lane while driving and while getting on the freeway I go as fast as is safely feasible.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 PM
smokeman
Intermediate

missiles is a good idea. maybe we can talk to porsche about a sport missile package. and i know you can get spare missiles aftermarket; hell, they're all over the internet
Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 PM
smokeman
Intermediate

'course, you're nuthin' without the 20mm gun for close range.....
Old 06-14-2019, 01:38 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeman
'course, you're nuthin' without the 20mm gun for close range.....
3 on each wing, dust to dust ashes to ashes
Old 06-14-2019, 09:12 AM
smokeman
Intermediate

gun is in the hole to the left of the pilot. but we digress; let's get back to talking about idiots on the 405...

Last edited by smokeman; 06-17-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Annoying Drivers