Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to correct a FALSE CARFAX report...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:07 AM
tamahal
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How to correct a FALSE CARFAX report...

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to Rennlist, tho i have owned multiple Porsche and been a enthusiast for a long time. I have a problem and wanted some advise. I own a 2015 991.1 C4S with Manual transmission and want to sell it. I took the car to a dealer for consignment and they told me there is a Carfax report showing front end damage. This was a total shock to me , since the car has never been in any accident or repair while in my position. The date of the report was literally 2 weeks prior and the car hasn't been driven much. I contacted CarFax and got no where with them, they emailed me saying they have confirmed with their source and the information is correct and to summit the repair order. There is no repair order , because the car hasn't been repaired or damaged.... whats my options, any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2019, 03:04 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Have carfax disclose their "source."
Old 05-30-2019, 03:12 AM
chris2
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

I just saw a post like this on reddit, maybe it was you, but the responses there don't give much confidence in this being correctable. https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...carfax_report/
Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

I dealt with this. My local dealer submitted the wrong mileage when servicing my car. This would have shown up on the Carfax as an odometer rollback. I emailed Carfax showing them the updated invoice and they corrected it and then sent me a free 60 day Carfax report for that car.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM
tamahal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Have carfax disclose their "source."
No, they will not disclose their source. They claim per their policy they do not disclose the source.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:25 AM
tamahal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by chris2
I just saw a post like this on reddit, maybe it was you, but the responses there don't give much confidence in this being correctable. https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...carfax_report/
No that wasn’t my post, but I checked out that post, thanks for posting the link. My vehicle has never been in an accident tho. No minor fender benders and etc...
Old 05-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Correction

Originally Posted by tamahal
No that wasn’t my post, but I checked out that post, thanks for posting the link. My vehicle has never been in an accident tho. No minor fender benders and etc...
Carfax is not infallible. I had a Pcar that suddenly showed 4 accidents when previously only indicated the one I knew about. I went to the selling dealer and asked WTF? He inquired where we can not with Carfax. I suggest you do the same if possible.

One was a duplicate repair which they immediately took off. Two were minor paint repairs to paint on the bumper covers which they have never reported before. They are now requesting reports from body shops, indies, etc and retroactively posting them. Sometimes they will post as a minor... sometime not, even though it's a paint chip repair... Depending on what the shop reports. Somebody reported your VIN with a repair.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:57 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd be more interested in how to fix a correct carfax.

p.s And before the virtue signaling about honesty starts, it was a joke.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I just pulled the Carfax on my car to make sure the respray I did wasn’t reported as damage. It wasn’t. Still clean.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:22 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I dealt with this. My local dealer submitted the wrong mileage when servicing my car. This would have shown up on the Carfax as an odometer rollback. I emailed Carfax showing them the updated invoice and they corrected it and then sent me a free 60 day Carfax report for that car.
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. Someone tried to steal my pristine 2001 Miata that had 24K miles at the time. The attempted thief damaged the ignition so the dealer could not turn it on to read the miles. The dealer then reported the car to Carfax as having 100K miles because they didn't correct the mileage on the paperwork when they fixed the ignition! I took the car back to the dealership and they resolved it with Carfax.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:52 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

Dealers are where 80% of Carfax profit comes from so they have a lot more swing. Ask your dealer if you can speak to their sales rep. Short of that they have a form you can submit.

Quick Reply: How to correct a FALSE CARFAX report...