Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual voided warranty or denied claim

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 07:30 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Tuning is a personal choice one should make with the understanding that if something crashes due to the tune it's your nickel. Choose a quality tune/tuner. If you go for max hp/tq you raise the risk.
I have tuned 3 911's to date. My current TTS has the Cobb tune with PDK Update which I love. Modest but noticeable bump in hp and an overall improvement in the PDK character. Very happy i chose to do this tune.
Never had an issue on any of the tuned vehicles with warranty work and always worked closely with my dealers. Also never tuned to get max hp more to get modest gains and improved personality. Does not mean I don't know the risk but feel it's worth it. If you don't have the confidence in the tune or the cahones to take the risk, stay stock.
I'm sure you can ferret out instances where tunes caused issues and warranties were lost. That's a fact. But there are several Pcar drivers on this forum and others running Cobb or Giac tunes without issue. It's your choice.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

VW keeps a record of ECU reflashes. If your car is connected to their diagnostics and the reflash count doesn't match, they mark you as TD1 and void your powertrain warranty. Not sure if Porsche has a similar mechanism.

It's for this reason that I did a piggyback tune on my Golf R.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 455 Posts

Supposedly if you get the giac tune through the dealer there is a limited powertrain warranty from champion porsche (not PCNA). My understanding is if you blow a turbo or transmission (and you didnt overly abuse the car-ie bad overrevs or tons of launch modes) your dealer gets a replacement part directly from champion for replacement ( for the duration of the new car warranty). No one has tested this limited warranty yet AFAIK. It would explain why the torque gains are limited with the giac and i believe there is alot more safety built into the map.
Anecdotally, one guy on RL fried not one, but 2 ECUs and had at least one replaced by the dealer. The cobb also can have a permanent “DME” error code which I havent seen with the giac (maybe because it was developed using piwis II).
This is all speculation at this point.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

The golf R forum has some great info. Even with the Cobb reset they can tell because the firmware has a checksum and no one has defeated that. A lot of dealers dont care but if they do your toast on the engine and tranny.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:13 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
VW keeps a record of ECU reflashes. If your car is connected to their diagnostics and the reflash count doesn't match, they mark you as TD1 and void your powertrain warranty. Not sure if Porsche has a similar mechanism.
Cobb told me Porsche has a similar system. They also said installing and removing their tune multiple times does not change the factory reflash count.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:57 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Dealer was able to see my 981 boxster wasn't stock even after I removed cobb tune while trying to get them to figure out why transmission was getting stuck in limp mode a few times. They attempted to record me admitting it wasn't stock and tuned, which I never did. They did threaten warranty could be void if Porsche techs see that when they send data dump. End of the day they refused to dig deeper into it stating aftermarket cats would need to come off.

I'm no tech but have been told its very obvious that its tuned. The techs themselves don't really care about aftermarket stuff as long as its not a factor of what they working on and you're honest.

If you tune your car, you can't expect Porsche NA to be liable to cover warranty. The troubling part is once you did it you can't go back by 'uninstalling' etc... would have to replace ECU and reprogram which probably isn't something that will happen via dealer.

People do as they want, but my 2 cents is if you have to mod, you're probably unhappy with car and should get something else you're happy with 'out of box.' In reality the mods make little difference in the overall experience or anything meaningful...you're just setting yourself up for headaches later.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:54 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I’m gonna take the safe route and only do high flow cats for the time being. It’s plenty fast for the few times a week that I drive it.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Dealer was able to see my 981 boxster wasn't stock even after I removed cobb tune while trying to get them to figure out why transmission was getting stuck in limp mode a few times. They attempted to record me admitting it wasn't stock and tuned, which I never did. They did threaten warranty could be void if Porsche techs see that when they send data dump. End of the day they refused to dig deeper into it stating aftermarket cats would need to come off.

I'm no tech but have been told its very obvious that its tuned. The techs themselves don't really care about aftermarket stuff as long as its not a factor of what they working on and you're honest.

If you tune your car, you can't expect Porsche NA to be liable to cover warranty. The troubling part is once you did it you can't go back by 'uninstalling' etc... would have to replace ECU and reprogram which probably isn't something that will happen via dealer.

People do as they want, but my 2 cents is if you have to mod, you're probably unhappy with car and should get something else you're happy with 'out of box.' In reality the mods make little difference in the overall experience or anything meaningful...you're just setting yourself up for headaches later.
Absolutely wrong - I loved many cars and loved them even more with a tune, which will be true with mine very soon.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral

If they fixed the limp mode issue, it looks like the dealer was bluffing about seeing the tune otherwise they would have turned you in and Porsche would have voided your warranty.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:11 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Absolutely wrong - I loved many cars and loved them even more with a tune, which will be true with mine very soon.
I completely agree with you but being that I just got the car i'm gonna do the HF cats and enjoy till I get used to the power which I suspect will take longer than previous cars as I won't be driving nearly as much. I DD'd my AMG for the first 6 months of owning it and got used to the factory 520hp fairly quick. I then tuned it and didn't feel the need for more power till I sold it 3.5 years later. I tuned the AMG with no concern as I was tight with the SA. When I meet the SA at the local Porsche dealer I'll have a better idea as to what I can get away with and go from there but for now i'm playing it safe.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

The way I see it, modding a car is a part of the journey.
It's like marriage, but with less yelling.

Occasionally stuff goes limp, but then you just gotta man up and get some work done.

The key is to go in progressions and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:44 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,037 Likes on 657 Posts

Acquaintance blew his engine (Porsche), after the tear down it was revealed the engine had ingested bits of the aftermarket catalytic converters - warranty denied.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default ??????

Originally Posted by groundhog
Acquaintance blew his engine (Porsche), after the tear down it was revealed the engine had ingested bits of the aftermarket catalytic converters - warranty denied.
OK I have to admit that this is a bit confusing ... how did the engine ingest bits of a catalytic converter which is quite a bit downstream in the exhaust system??????? Must have been one helluva backfire. Maybe I am not seeing something here???
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,037 Likes on 657 Posts

Build - up of back pressure
Old 05-28-2019, 03:32 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

if you re flash the ECU....you are pretty much guarantee that the power train warranty will be void. (not the entire car) if the dealer found out, they might not flag it right away, but lets say if you go in because your turbo is screeching at 40k miles and needs a turbo replacement.....they will not cover it.....is pretty straight forward and it make sense......

if your AC is not working....then that's a diff story because you tune cant affect the AC hence it cant void the warranty of the AC

Not sure if piggy back tune is an option for the 991.2 but personally i would opt for that instead of a flash since that's a plug and play and can be removed completely without any trace of a "tune" (technically there is because they can still send in the ECU and dig deep into the values to see that the car is running a higher boost via a piggy back tune....but then again...is a LOT hard to get to etc etc.) I know the piggy back is not "as good" as a re-flash because is just fooling the ECU and keeping the wastergate closed......but i did rather seen less gains and keep the warranty than gaining an extra 10-15% with a high chance of voiding the warranty

Quick Reply: Actual voided warranty or denied claim