Sponsored by:

So I decided to roll the dice on the AWE Wind Foilers

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 AM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I decided to roll the dice on the AWE Wind Foilers

Per the installation instructions, once you remove the interior trim piece opposite the side mirrors, you either see a screw or you don't. If you see the screw, installation is only a few steps. However if the screw is hidden, get prepared to remove the entire door trim.

I figured since my 991.1S is a MY14, I figured I wouldn't bother to remove the trim piece to determine if I had the visible or hidden screw, because its definitely visible, right? Only earlier models have the hidden screw. Wrong.

Took about two hours all together since I forgot to reattach one of the electrical connectors but this install wasn't particularly difficult. I could do both sides in maybe a half hour if I ever have to do this job again.

I took the opportunity to clean the door panels of the coffee my wife has spilled while everything was reachable, too.

I also filmed the passenger side install and reassembly on the gopro, but will have to review the footage and decide if editing into a DIY video is worth it.

Just turned the car on to check window switch functionality but will test drive and compare tomorrow.

​​​​​​
Old 06-05-2018, 01:22 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, sorry you had to go through that for such a simple install.

These made a big difference for me. Especially in that sweet spot between 80-100mph. Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

Just did the same thing on my MY14, no screw either. Took about 30 minutes on the first one and 15 minutes on the second. Very easy to do, just went slow on the first one, so I wouldn't screw anything up.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 AM
s4one
Instructor

Honestly, you don't need to remove the door card or remove any cables.. I didn't even detach the battery.

You can lift the door card off the door and just hold it it there with your foot.

​​​​​Total install took me less than 30min.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Installed mine on my ‘18 C2S this weekend. Had the screw and finished in 10 minutes. Definitely helps reduce the wind turbulence.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:54 AM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

I'm certain I reconnected everything inside the door but I've found that the auto window roll up/down feature is no longer functioning. Investigation maybe this weekend.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed this last week, while the air foiler definitely helped. It didn’t completely remove the noise. It allows it to be much more tolerable though.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by s4one
Honestly, you don't need to remove the door card or remove any cables.. I didn't even detach the battery.

You can lift the door card off the door and just hold it it there with your foot.

​​​​​Total install took me less than 30min.
That's the same technique I used on my 2014 except I had my son hold the panel just slightly away from the door. It just needs to be moved down a little in the front to get to the screw. No disconnects required. No window problems afterwards.

OP, you probably just have to do the window reset procedure. Here's the how-to from the manual:

Storing end position of the windows after connecting the vehicle battery
The end positions of the windows are lost when the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

One-touch operation of the windows is disabled.

Perform these steps for all windows:
  1. Close window completely once by pulling the switch.
  2. If the window is completely closed, briefly pull the switch again.
  3. Open the window completely once by pressing the switch.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:42 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cas1337
I'm certain I reconnected everything inside the door but I've found that the auto window roll up/down feature is no longer functioning. Investigation maybe this weekend.
You might just need to re-set it.

Does the window roll down using the button?

If so, get in the car. Door shut - roll the window down all the way, then roll it all the way back up using the button.

Usually, if you do this once it re-sets it and it will work.

Just an FYI.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 PM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
That's the same technique I used on my 2014 except I had my son hold the panel just slightly away from the door. It just needs to be moved down a little in the front to get to the screw. No disconnects required. No window problems afterwards.

OP, you probably just have to do the window reset procedure. Here's the how-to from the manual:

Storing end position of the windows after connecting the vehicle battery
The end positions of the windows are lost when the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

One-touch operation of the windows is disabled.

Perform these steps for all windows:
  1. Close window completely once by pulling the switch.
  2. If the window is completely closed, briefly pull the switch again.
  3. Open the window completely once by pressing the switch.
Much appreciated. This did the trick.

There's a very noticeable improvement at speed with the foilers installed. Wish I'd have installed these ages ago.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Much appreciated. This did the trick.

There's a very noticeable improvement at speed with the foilers installed. Wish I'd have installed these ages ago.
Cool! It's nice to see a fairly "new" guy contributing a lot like I see you are doing recently. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:37 PM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

Cheers! I've more or less lurked for the past 2 years. Happy to contribute.

Are you still attending the spokes events at COTA? I've foregone the solo in favor of more road course work over the past year or so.

​​​
Old 06-05-2018, 09:51 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Cheers! I've more or less lurked for the past 2 years. Happy to contribute.

Are you still attending the spokes events at COTA? I've foregone the solo in favor of more road course work over the past year or so.

​​​
Hey Chris (right?)! I forgot that was your username. I guess you aren't so new after all! Yeah, I missed seeing you come back to the COTA Spokes events. I can certainly understand why you did the wind deflectors if you are doing high speed events!

I went to the last two events, but the last one got rained out after my first run so I had the "pleasure" of doing the coursework before my runs without getting a chance to really compete beyond my first get-the-feel-of-the-course run. I'm still getting used to the extra torque of the new car so I've GOT to learn not to push the accelerator so hard in order to keep the tail under control. I just barely beat my friend with the Cayman GTS (0.001 second) the time before that, so I've got to up my game.

If the summer keeps being a scorcher like it has started out to be, I probably won't go any more until it cools down a bit. In any case, I hope you decide to come back out sometime. Maybe I'll see you at the Porsche 70th event this Saturday?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:38 PM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

I totally missed that you picked up a 17. RWD is definitely the way to go

70th event is still up in the air for me. Lots of home improvement projects ongoing right now.

Hopefully will see you out there at COTA as it cools down or maybe at a PCA tech session.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:06 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by s4one

Can go into a bit more detail? So what you are saying is remove the trim panels, remove the torx screws that hold panel on, but leave electrics connected, than just pull door panel back to get access to what you need? I've got a set on the way from Suncoast. Hoping to install this upcoming W/E. Not trying to create door panel rattles if I can help it.

Quick Reply: So I decided to roll the dice on the AWE Wind Foilers