Sponsored by:

Actual voided warranty or denied claim

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:36 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Actual voided warranty or denied claim

I know if someone is caught with a tune the dealer MAY deny a warranty claim depending on the issue and it is POSSIBLE for Porsche NA to void a warranty for those same reasons but my question is very specific... has anyone actually had a claim denied or their warranty voided? i'm not looking for "i heard this" or " my cousins boyfriend's sister...) I wanna hear it from someone who's actually had a claim denied or warranty voided and what exactly happened. What was the the car brought in for and how did the process go. Anyone?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Not a Porsche bt I had a buddy get his Mustang's warranty voided for adding a Cobb tune. It was flagged in the DB so every dealer could see it.

I do not see why you need to hear it first-hand though: would that change your mind one way or the other? Each dealer could treat the idenitcal mod to a car differently based on the SA and what he or she tells, or does not tell, PCNA. And each mod that can void a warranty may be looked at differently as well since different parts can have different possible results.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:49 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Not a Porsche bt I had a buddy get his Mustang's warranty voided for adding a Cobb tune. It was flagged in the DB so every dealer could see it.

I do not see why you need to hear it first-hand though: would that change your mind one way or the other? Each dealer could treat the idenitcal mod to a car differently based on the SA and what he or she tells, or does not tell, PCNA. And each mod that can void a warranty may be looked at differently as well since different parts can have different possible results.
I just want to know if anyone with a Porsche actually experienced it first hand. I doubt it'll change my mind but it could definitely delay the tune. I'm curious what your friends Mustang needed that caused Form to void his warranty.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eysa
I just want to know if anyone with a Porsche actually experienced it first hand. I doubt it'll change my mind but it could definitely delay the tune. I'm curious what your friends Mustang needed that caused Form to void his warranty.
He forgot to uninstall the tune before he took it in for routine service including an alignment and as a lot of dealers do they updated the software and then when they took it for a test drive they knew something was not stock.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

My old man hard wired his cell phone into a bmw years ago. Later on, his gps went on the fritz. They tried to fix it three times. They couldn’t, and eventually denied his warranty and refused any additional attempts.

Hes still pissed. But I’m pretty sure it was his fault.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
He forgot to uninstall the tune before he took it in for routine service including an alignment and as a lot of dealers do they updated the software and then when they took it for a test drive they knew something was not stock.
Sorry but this makes no sense. You say "they updated the software and then when they took it for a test drive they knew something was not stock". If they updated the software the car would be back to stock. What could they know at that point. Also if the car was just in for routine service and alignment they have no reason to check for a tune since there was nothing asked to be fixed under warranty.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:17 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry but this makes no sense. You say "they updated the software and then when they took it for a test drive they knew something was not stock". If they updated the software the car would be back to stock. What could they know at that point. Also if the car was just in for routine service and alignment they have no reason to check for a tune since there was nothing asked to be fixed under warranty.
Sorry man but this post is just full of ignorance on normal dealer practices.
The can update the software without doing a full tune. They are aware when the computer has been tuned and some makes can tell when it has occurred even if you return it to stock. Routine service and alignment often includes the dealer plugging into the OBD plug and checking things over whether you ask them to or not.

For example I took my F150 in for a recall that required a computer update. I did not ask them to but they took the wheels off and did a full safety check on major components as part of their normal process. That is just how they operate.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superdog
My old man hard wired his cell phone into a bmw years ago. Later on, his gps went on the fritz. They tried to fix it three times. They couldn’t, and eventually denied his warranty and refused any additional attempts.

Hes still pissed. But I’m pretty sure it was his fault.
That's funny. It does make my point though since another dealer may not have tried to fix it at all if they knew about what he did. Warrany work does make money for a dealer though so that also comes into play but usually it does not matter when it comes to mods that could cause damage.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

It makes sense, and wareaglescott beat me to replying in just about the same way as he did. What does not make sense is me wasting my time posting anymore to a thread that did not make sense to begin with.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Sorry man but this post is just full of ignorance on normal dealer practices.
The can update the software without doing a full tune. They are aware when the computer has been tuned and some makes can tell when it has occurred even if you return it to stock. Routine service and alignment often includes the dealer plugging into the OBD plug and checking things over whether you ask them to or not.

For example I took my F150 in for a recall that required a computer update. I did not ask them to but they took the wheels off and did a full safety check on major components as part of their normal process. That is just how they operate.
I've flashed a lot of custom tunes on Mustangs and you can't do a partial tune. By that I mean you can't update timing tables while excluding overwriting the fuel tables, etc. The PCM gets completely re-written. They may have updated another module - maybe the ABS?

If they flashed an update over a custom tune maybe it ran like chit because the mods he had required the custom tune. If they flashed over my current stock Mustang ECM it wouldn't even start jajajaja

Aftermarket engine computers can be flashed piece by piece - that's what allows you to adjust timing, fuel, etc "on the fly". I think older GM computers could be, too but not sure.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM
eysa
Rennlist Member

So you're telling me if he went in with say a radio or window switch issue they would not cover it? I find that hard to believe.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Honestly, talk your service advisor at the dealer. Tell him/her what you’re thinking about doing and ask how they would ha for it. I’ve been like that with any car I have modified and they are straight forward.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

So you're telling me if he went in with say a radio or window switch issue they would not cover it? I find that hard to believe.
They will try to not cover it, but they have to prove that what ever after market parts/tune caused the part to fail.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I thought it was pretty obvious to everyone what I was implying, but I guess not - of course they would cover a radio switch if it failed but they will not warranty his engine, tranny and anything else they deem could have failed due to his mods. There are countless threads on the forum about warranty issues so those that are interested can search for them.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

This thread has a e63s losing his warranty because of a tune.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...-review-2.html

Quick Reply: Actual voided warranty or denied claim