Sponsored by:

Need for battery Trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Nothingtoc
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Need for battery Trickle charger

I purchased my first Porsche a month ago. It is a 2018 911 base Carrera and is the first high performance car I've owned. I have about 400 miles on it and use it as my "fair weather" weekend car and is not a daily driver. So far, I love, love, love it.

I'll be leaving on an extended vacation this summer which will result in my not driving the car for 4-5 weeks. Can anyone advise me whether or not I need to buy the accessory trickle charger and leave it connected while I am gone, or will the battery have sufficient charge to start the car when I get back? The owners manual recommends the charger when the car will not be driven for an extended time but it doesn't define what they mean by "extended time".

I have a buddy that kindly offered to drive it while I'm gone - just to be sure the battery stays charged :} !!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Why take a chance? Get a CTEK charger which costs less than $50.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

I have a battery tender on all of our Porsches. I plug them in even if I am not driving them for just a few days. Cheap insurance to extend the battery life. You can do the CTEKs or the Porsche ones. Whatever floats your boat. These cars do suck down the battery when left for a period of time. How long is an extended time? In the worlds of the immortal philosopher, Detective Harry Callahan, you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky, well, do you punk?
Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nothingtoc
I purchased my first Porsche a month ago. It is a 2018 911 base Carrera and is the first high performance car I've owned. I have about 400 miles on it and use it as my "fair weather" weekend car and is not a daily driver. So far, I love, love, love it.

I'll be leaving on an extended vacation this summer which will result in my not driving the car for 4-5 weeks. Can anyone advise me whether or not I need to buy the accessory trickle charger and leave it connected while I am gone, or will the battery have sufficient charge to start the car when I get back? The owners manual recommends the charger when the car will not be driven for an extended time but it doesn't define what they mean by "extended time".

I have a buddy that kindly offered to drive it while I'm gone - just to be sure the battery stays charged :} !!
CTEK makes a great product. Ensure you select the proper CTEK charger that has the Snowflake mode which is necessary for our AGM batteries.
The 3300 or 7002 have that capability. Both chargers come with the necessary connectors as well.

https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle

Old 05-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

Do it. These things eat batteries.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:46 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Trickle charge it. No question.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:57 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

What they said. Even sitting for several days, with all the internal systems drains, the battery voltage can start to drop.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:03 AM
chris2
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 43 Posts

I use this 3A one for my other cars from Advance Auto, never had a problem with it. You can pick it up for about $35 with coupon N3KBBX. The manual states it will work with AGM batteries, even though the website description is a bit lacking

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0cr/11148518-P
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

So in reality is should EASILY do 6 weeks... meaning easily stay charged for anywhere from 6-8 weeks in the car on a 991. Now that is provided you battery is in relatively good shape.

991s have a very good battery management system on the car that puts all the electronics and items that cause parasitic draws on the battery into a sleep mode after roughly 15 minutes. So the parasitic draw is very low on the 991s PROVIDED you DON"T have any extra accessories like bluetooth chargers, cameras, theft alarms or other accessories that are NOT stock. Once you add some device or cig lighter bluetooth charger or whatever all bets are off. Aftermarket accessories and not designed to have low draws and most the time something as innocuous as a little cig lighter USB charging device can create a draw that will over discharge the battery in a much shorter time than you think. You don't want to run the battery dead and lock yourself out of the frunk, and make you have to do that fuse box energizing scenario which is a hassle.

The reason i know this is because I have over 1000 hours messing around with discharging our Lithium Batteries in a ton of 991s... and not only myself but a lot of people on this forum who have bought our Lithium batteries have given us updates. And I can tell you that a 30Ah Lithium battery we sold (RS-30) could easily do 6-8 weeks in GT3 without a problem and a solid 6 weeks in the Turbos.... So a 70Ah Lead/Acid Battery (your stock battery) should do it quite easily. Again, providing it is in good shape, with not extra accessories.

With that being said and you being new with the Car, and not know the condition of the battery and how long it normally can sit and how discharged it gets..... I do suggest you put it on a tender so you don't come back to a dead car.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Nothingtoc
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The car is brand new so I assume the battery is good. In any event, I elected to purchase a CTEK Multi 7002 and will leave it connected while I am away. I agree with you that a car should be able to hold a charge for a few weeks without need for a charge. The only reason I asked was a result of the warning in the owner manual about trickle charging. I was concerned that the 991 had some kind of unusual battery draw when the car is not driven. Apparently it does, just not to the magnitude I originally feared.

A sincere thanks to all who responded to my question. This is truly a great forum.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
So in reality is should EASILY do 6 weeks... meaning easily stay charged for anywhere from 6-8 weeks in the car on a 991. Now that is provided you battery is in relatively good shape.

991s have a very good battery management system on the car that puts all the electronics and items that cause parasitic draws on the battery into a sleep mode after roughly 15 minutes. So the parasitic draw is very low on the 991s PROVIDED you DON"T have any extra accessories like bluetooth chargers, cameras, theft alarms or other accessories that are NOT stock. Once you add some device or cig lighter bluetooth charger or whatever all bets are off. Aftermarket accessories and not designed to have low draws and most the time something as innocuous as a little cig lighter USB charging device can create a draw that will over discharge the battery in a much shorter time than you think. You don't want to run the battery dead and lock yourself out of the frunk, and make you have to do that fuse box energizing scenario which is a hassle.

The reason i know this is because I have over 1000 hours messing around with discharging our Lithium Batteries in a ton of 991s... and not only myself but a lot of people on this forum who have bought our Lithium batteries have given us updates. And I can tell you that a 30Ah Lithium battery we sold (RS-30) could easily do 6-8 weeks in GT3 without a problem and a solid 6 weeks in the Turbos.... So a 70Ah Lead/Acid Battery (your stock battery) should do it quite easily. Again, providing it is in good shape, with not extra accessories.

With that being said and you being new with the Car, and not know the condition of the battery and how long it normally can sit and how discharged it gets..... I do suggest you put it on a tender so you don't come back to a dead car.

Thanks for the detailed description, and great support. Ugh appreciated.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Absolutely, you should put a CTEK on it, to prevent a long period of low voltage and substantial loss of battery life. Low voltage for an extended period causes sulfation, which results in loss of battery life.
My rule is I put my CTEK on mine anytime it will sit for 3 days. or more. This prevents yields the longest battery life possible for a battery.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:07 PM
markjeansonne
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

I always heard that keeping your battery topped up reduces strain on the alternator. I am no mechanic, but I have used battery tenders on all my daily drivers for appr. 15 yrs., and a Porsche battery tender on my C4S. I would rather not have alternator issues!!! My oldest vehicle at the moment is a 2008 Range Rover, always on a tender since new -- never any issues whatsoever with electronics, alternator, etc. Have replaced the battery twice, but otherwise no issues.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:51 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

i never use the snowflake mode and ive never had problem. am i supposed to be using the snow flake mode? i thought that was only for optima type gel batteries.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeL31
i never use the snowflake mode and ive never had problem. am i supposed to be using the snow flake mode? i thought that was only for optima type gel batteries.
Normal charging mode charges batteries at 14.4 VDC for lead acid batteries. Since our cars come with AGM batteries they require a higher charging voltage of 14.7 VDC. The [Snowflake Mode] charges at 14.7 VDC. I always charge my battery in the Snowflake mode. The next time you drive your car and depress the [Sports or Sports Plus Mode] check the charging volts on your MFD.

Quick Reply: Need for battery Trickle charger