Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T buckets - anyone investigated adding rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 10:06 AM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carrera T buckets - anyone investigated adding rear seats?

I'm in the market for a Carrera T and would love to get the buckets, but I do need rear seats as I plan to DD the car and need to be able to put my kids in the back (buckled in, not just rolling around

Most people will just say get the non-buckets and call it a day, and I may end up doing that, but thought I would check here to see if anyone had looked into putting rear seats back in the Carrera T with buckets. Unlike the GT3, I am thinking that a Carrera T with a rear seat delete may very well still have the mounting points, etc. for the rear seats and seat belts under the carpeting.

Anyone have any experience with this, or checked the rear of a Carrera T to see if this is the case?

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-18-2019, 10:43 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,126 Likes on 670 Posts

I have looked into it. Evidently with the buckets there is some bracketry missing that would be needed to bolt the rear seats in. I am sure it is doable-however you may have to come up with some mounts/fab up some brackets. I ended up getting the t without buckets and may eventually do the 997 carbon buckets that are foldable. This way you can enter the back without having to be a contortionist .
Old 05-18-2019, 11:46 AM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 294 Posts

The LWBS do not fold so getting behind them is near impossible. If you need the back seats get one with them and then buy the 997 foldable buckets as polobai suggested. The fixed backs would not work at all for what you want to do.....
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

I investigated the same thing. Might be cheaper and simpler to get a regular seat T (or S even better), and add lightweight aftermarket buckets.

Numerous vendors selling CF seats for a fraction of the OEM cost. Even going OEM from parting cars, it's potentially cheaper than adding seats to the back, not to mention safer.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

I'd look for a T with back seats and then look into confirming that these will work in a NA Carrera T:
http://carnewal.com/products/991/p91...-:-991-version

Sat in a 991.2 GTS with these in the UK and they felt even better in the 991 platform than they did in the 997 platform—seemed to be mounted lower, which was the only downside to them in 987s and 997s (for me, anyway). They're light, hold me better than the 918-style buckets available in some 981s and 991s, and maintain access to the back seats. Only thing I'd want to be sure of is that the airbags will work as designed in a US car.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 389 Posts

Not cheap nor easy and not a dyi project. May be easier to buy a car with sofas, then buy a set of 991 euro foldable bucket seats.
The T when ordered with buckets is missing a crucial bracket on the inner fender liner which is same a gt3.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...is-doable.html
Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

LWBS are a big commitment. Depending on how you plan to use your car, they can be a detriment to everyday livability.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 AM
clutch504
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m getting an option to buy a T with the 14 way seats but the car doesn’t have rear seats. Is there anyway to add the rear seats in? I have small children so rear seats is a must for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:57 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by c1utch09
I’m getting an option to buy a T with the 14 way seats but the car doesn’t have rear seats. Is there anyway to add the rear seats in? I have small children so rear seats is a must for me. Thanks in advance.
This could be specific to your area where you can have 14way and no back seat. Need to check behind cover on C-panel to ensure you can attach seat belts, pull back carpet and side panel and look for the bracket shown on part 4.
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/p...2/547u/801350/
should behind where there is a dimple or hole on your rear interior plastic panel. This bracket is used for a bolt to secure the seatback.

This bracket is not there on GT cars or cars ordered with LWB.

Also, check if you have rear airbags.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

I have LWBS in my car and confirm that even with the seat moved all the way forward, it would be near impossible to get in behind them. You probably would spend the same money retrofitting a questionably safe rear seat (not to mention insurance issues) as you would on sourcing some foldable buckets. Maybe even the euro spec foldable seats.

Either way you’re going to spend lots of money on this and won’t get it back at resale. If you need rear seats so badly, why not just get the 18 ways and call it good? They’re pretty good seats. The carbon seats are more bling for a daily driver anyway and far less comfortable.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:27 PM
clutch504
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
This could be specific to your area where you can have 14way and no back seat. Need to check behind cover on C-panel to ensure you can attach seat belts, pull back carpet and side panel and look for the bracket shown on part 4.
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/p...2/547u/801350/
should behind where there is a dimple or hole on your rear interior plastic panel. This bracket is used for a bolt to secure the seatback.

This bracket is not there on GT cars or cars ordered with LWB.

Also, check if you have rear airbags.
Thanks so much! Have asked the dealer to check on this. Will keep you guys updated.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by c1utch09
Thanks so much! Have asked the dealer to check on this. Will keep you guys updated.
And hey - I may be interested in trading you the Rear Seat Delete option from Suncoast. I have zero passenger use for the rear seats. I always drive 911's with the backrest in the down position.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...EATDELETE.html
Old 05-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Has anyone confirmed if the foldable buckets would throw an airbag light with the sliding 4ways? Also how big of a project is the mounting bracket?
Pete, do you know anyone thats done it?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Unless the foldable buckets have the integrated thorax airbag, removing the OEM seats would cause an airbag light. It may be possible to trick the ECU into thinking a non airbag type seat is installed which would mitigate the airbag light problem. Not certain though.

Quick Reply: Carrera T buckets - anyone investigated adding rear seats?