Sponsored by:

engine air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsonaudio
I just replaced my air filters on 2014 991 C2 over the holiday weekend. This is procedure is not difficult and requires very few tools. Replaced my spark plugs while I was at it. Having the bumper cover off made the entire job much easier. Just follow the few video's posted on Youtube and you cannot screw it up. I recommend protecting the paint right above the fender with masking tape so that you don't scratch the fender above the wheel as you are taking the cover off and back on. Also take care to not scratch the bumper cover once it is off the car.

Good idea on the blue tape. Aligning the top edges of the bumper with the three notch guides is tricky and is where scratches can happen.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:19 AM
22math22
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caciquemd
A lot to remove to get to the air filter.

BMC filter installed.
This is super helpful, about to do this myself on my GTS, any feedback much appreciated in terms of sound and power please... Is it worth doing?
Old 01-25-2021, 01:57 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,116 Likes on 665 Posts

I have it done-IMO only worth doing if you are going in there for something else or planning to replace the factory filters due to them being dirty, etc. On my setup, no additional sound or power from what I can tell but I did it as I got a good deal on the filter and I was upgrading the inlets.
The following users liked this post:
22math22 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 02:11 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 419 Posts

Engine air filters are mileage dependent, right? According to this document (attached), it seems that it's not recommended but every 40k miles but my gut tells me that can't be right.
Attached Images
Old 01-25-2021, 02:20 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,116 Likes on 665 Posts

Yes but usually they are dirtier than expected at lower mileage. Mine were pretty dirty at 13k miles (alot more dirty than I would think). 981 chassis are notoriously dirty at 7-8k miles (my GT4 filter was horrible at 8k and was changed once already).
Fullyield (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 02:24 PM
thelampire
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Engine air filters are mileage dependent, right? According to this document (attached), it seems that it's not recommended but every 40k miles but my gut tells me that can't be right.
It also depends on the driving conditions. If you happen to live in a dusty area, it can become dirty quickly. On a regular car I would change it during every other oil change. On a 911 I would probably do it every 3-4 oil changes as they need to be more frequent.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:50 AM
22math22
6th Gear

Surprising that there is no sound difference at all, you would have thought a company like BMC would only create a product with some benefit over a stock item... Anyone else have any experience/thoughts good or bad, or otherwise with relation to the BMC Air intake and 991.2....
Old 01-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,241 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
My general rule concerning all filters (air filters) and fluids: If in doubt, change them out! I change mine at 10k miles.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,241 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
I have it done-IMO only worth doing if you are going in there for something else or planning to replace the factory filters due to them being dirty, etc. On my setup, no additional sound or power from what I can tell but I did it as I got a good deal on the filter and I was upgrading the inlets.
Whenever you have the rear bumper off, check all your change over valves as a majority of them are accessible when bumper cover removed.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Cheech54
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what happens when you give German engineers the "opportunity to refine" a process that used to require a wing nut, thumb and forefinger, while holding a beer in the other hand. It's easer than it looks and more expensive than that should be, but cheaper than plugs. Do it and report back about how happy you are with your accomplishment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cheech54:
fluguy (01-27-2021), Fullyield (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:46 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Whenever you have the rear bumper off, check all your change over valves as a majority of them are accessible when bumper cover removed.
The ones that take the most abuse aka heat are up on passenger side towards front. Removing the wing gives you the best access at them.

Definitely worth checking that your vacuum line rats nest is nice and tight before buttoning it up as the lines can come loose.
Fullyield (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 09:33 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,147 Likes on 630 Posts

Opportunity to bond with the car.

I have BMC but don't think it matters much. >1,000+ rwhp diesel trucks are making that kind of HP with GIANT turbos and a bajillion pounds of boost with less surface area than 991.1 3.4 comes with stock to put things in perspective. OEM are fine - BMC are neat but really don't matter.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Definitely a job that looks worse than it is and makes you look like a pro... You look at the "carnage" with the bumper and spoiler off nd the parts all over the floor, and my neighbors were wondering if the car had exploded ;-) Kind of a piece of cake to do though - really simple and logical, no special tools needed. Even for the belt...
Old 08-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Thought I would just add a quick summary of my visit to the dealer to have my 2017 C2 Air Filter replacement done as a data point.

I opted to have my local dealer (Suncoast Porsche Sarasota) do this as a stand-alone service. Car was on the original filter, 31,042 miles and four years in service, almost to the day. Glad to get it swapped out, it did look a bit dirty. I asked them to save me the old filter so I could have a look at it.

Out the door cost was $606, with the 9P1-129-620 "AIR FILTER ELEMENT" billed at $91, with the balance being labor at PCA rate. Ya'll know better than I about how this goes, but it is documented on the receipt as "Raise vehicle and remove rear fender liners, remove engine compartment fans and ducts and remove trim and rear taillights, remove rear bumper and rear wing, remove pressure Y pipe and air filter housing. Disassembled and removed air filter and installed new." I'm sure I could do this job, eventually, but my days of doing this much work on cars are behind me, and it sounds like a giant PITA as well. So I was ok paying the dealer fee. And they did a complimentary BMS reset (I just put in a new Duracell 92Ah AGM battery this past weekend) as part of the cost of the engine air filter work today.

I continue to be pretty happy taking my car to Suncoast for stuff that I can't handle. I brought in a dozen Dunkin' Doughnuts, to keep the guys in a good mood. My SA said they were gone in 10 seconds.

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 08-10-2021 at 02:32 PM.
T3X4S (08-10-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 01:26 PM
22math22
6th Gear

Question Sound

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Thought I would just add a quick summary of my visit to the dealer to have my 2017 C2 Air Filter replacement done as a data point.

I opted to have my local dealer (Suncoast Porsche Sarasota) do this as a stand-alone service. Car was on the original filter, 31,042 miles and four years in service, almost to the day. Glad to get it swapped out, it did look a bit dirty. I asked them to save me the old filter so I could have a look at it.

Out the door cost was $606, with the 9P1-129-620 "AIR FILTER ELEMENT" billed at $91, with the balance being labor at PCA rate. Ya'll know better than I about how this goes, but it is documented on the receipt as "Raise vehicle and remove rear fender liners, remove engine compartment fans and ducts and remove trim and rear taillights, remove rear bumper and rear wing, remove pressure Y pipe and air filter housing. Disassembled and removed air filter and installed new." I'm sure I could do this job, eventually, but my days of doing this much work on cars are behind me, and it sounds like a giant PITA as well. So I was ok paying the dealer fee. And they did a complimentary BMS reset (I just put in a new Duracell 92Ah AGM battery this past weekend) as part of the cost of the engine air filter work today.

I continue to be pretty happy taking my car to Suncoast for stuff that I can't handle. I brought in a dozen Dunkin' Doughnuts, to keep the guys in a good mood. My SA said they were gone in 10 seconds.
--------------------------------------

Nice one! good stuff, just out of interest did you notice any sound or performance improvements?

Quick Reply: engine air filter replacement