Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there much steering feel difference in a 4S vs. S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

But if you have RAS with a 4S you would have picked the 4S over the 2S. Don't take it personally but people often talk about the extra weight and I think many are just repeating what others say, which still does not make sense most of the time. Most drivers are not good enough to notice the extra weight or better yet, not notice a difference in track times. Ever wonder why the jockies in the Kentucky Derby were tiny little guys!? We cannot see what people weigh on wjem reading posts but I bet there are a bunch of folks that are overweight themselves complaining about extra weight in a car!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 PM
Contadino
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a 991.1 4S when I was shopping for my 991.1 2CS. The steering was definitely heavier. My wife commented on it also. But it's true that I didn't check the tire pressure or ask the the dealer to check the alignment before the test drive.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

This is only relevant if you end up tracking your car but I found the C4S a tad bit tougher to rotate and not as quick to turn in. Once the car sets, it does have super human grip mid corner and at the corner exit, so you can be very liberal w the throttle and comfortable at the limit on fast sweepers, and again be very aggressive w throttle at the exit, but at turn in, it took a lot of alignment and heavy trailbraking for me to get a crisp initial turn in. All in all it requires a slightly different style of driving at the track, shines a bit more on the big fast tracks as opposed to the slower technical ones w combination turns.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:43 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

991.2 4S with RWS. Agile and precise in all conditions. Scary how planted it is even going 120 MPH+...the car just keeps pulling and tracks straight.

I don't think there is a noticeable difference in regards to 'steering feel.' In theory, the AWD system will make the steering wheel slightly harder to turn, numbed, and more artificial, however this is all theory. In practice, electronics and other components are designed/ tuned to accommodate the AWD, RWS, etc... its not the same car with AWD thrown in. Most people wont be able to tell a difference driving them back to back.

With the 4S the front wheels aren't really engaging much unless you're heavy on throttle. If you're on it hard, there can be some funkiness with the front 'getting away from the rear' in some conditions (hard turn and full throttle comes to mind). Its pretty much RWD all the time.

My experience with RWD car is it does feel more 'lively' where it 'feel' there's a bit more drama. Front isn't as planted and rear is more playful, but with all the rubber its a stretch to say you're going to be drifting all the time etc. This isn't really 'steering feel'...its more overall 'handling.'

Between 50k+ miles on a boxster and 20K+ miles on 4S, I can say that the AWD car can do everything better. There is a lot more confidence going through corners and high speed. With RWD the front starts to fishtail (backwards dart-like for 911) and you're kinda wondering when it will let go (in reality it doesn't). Placedo? Maybe. I do know that through the same roads and corners, the boxster got 'drama' at 75 mph, but the 911 can take it 100+ no sweat.

Tire pressure, brand, and wear would be a much bigger factor in 'steering feel' and 'handling.'
Old 05-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by atm75
In a nutshell...
If steering feel is important to you, I would advise to : stay away from the earliest MYs, go for an S or a 2wd GTS, make sure your car has the latest SW upgrades, make sure it has a proper alignment and decent tires.

I advise against the earliest MY only because I suspect it will be hard to track down what upgrades can be done to a MY12.3 or 13 to make them as good as a 15-16. You might be super lucky in finding that the upgrades were only software based, but after a chat with my friend I’m personally leaning towards that the continuous and significant upgrades over the 991s life, were a mix of SW and HW tweaks.
I have a 13 & 15 (C2S & C2) - steering feels identical. This has been discussed before on here, no proof of any changes & part #s are the same.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
But if you have RAS with a 4S you would have picked the 4S over the 2S. Don't take it personally but people often talk about the extra weight and I think many are just repeating what others say, which still does not make sense most of the time. Most drivers are not good enough to notice the extra weight or better yet, not notice a difference in track times. Ever wonder why the jockies in the Kentucky Derby were tiny little guys!? We cannot see what people weigh on wjem reading posts but I bet there are a bunch of folks that are overweight themselves complaining about extra weight in a car!
You reminded me of some older fat guys when I raced road bikes that would spend a ton for the lightest cool stuff but forget to skip a few burgers.
I'm hesitant to go drive a .2 GTS with RAS, a tune & exhaust because I know I'll want one. For what I'm into my .1s for, it just isn't worth another $50k to me. At that point be looking for a turbo s.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM
atm75
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Deleted by atm75
Old 05-13-2019, 05:23 PM
atm75
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
I have a 13 & 15 (C2S & C2) - steering feels identical. This has been discussed before on here, no proof of any changes & part #s are the same.
That sounds like good news for Chekraze then as it translates into more options, assuming that your cars are identical?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by atm75
That sounds like good news for Chekraze then as it translates into more options, assuming that your cars are identical?
They ride on the same type & size of tires. One is an X51 S & the other is not but, in spite of that difference, the steering feels the same. Parts numbers are the same for the full 991.1 run but, more importantly, if you look at the steering software version through PIWIS II (Or Durametric, I’d guess - have not verified it on the Durametric side), it is the same.

Quick Reply: Is there much steering feel difference in a 4S vs. S