Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre purchase advice

Old 05-13-2019, 09:26 AM
phansson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre purchase advice

New member of Rennlist, former Porsche owner, I am in the process of purchasing a 991.1, 2013 Carrera 4s. In our negotiation, the dealer and I felt that the car needed to go to a Porshce dealership to have the 20k service done and check over the car, at the dealers expense.

While it is at the dealership, is there anything I need to specifically ask the dealer to do?

PCM update?
Nav update?

Last edited by phansson; 05-13-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I am sure the dealer will check it out well if they are getting paid to do so! But who is telling the dealer to do what? I assume it is the selling dealer so they may tell the Porsche dealer to do the bare minimum such as checking the brakes and fluids! It may be best to ask the Porsche dealer yourself exactly what they are checking. You could ask them to do a CPO inspection but they will probably want $2-3k for that and the selling dealer may not want to fork over that much, unless they are selling you the car for enough to cover it.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM
phansson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I am sure the dealer will check it out well if they are getting paid to do so! But who is telling the dealer to do what? I assume it is the selling dealer so they may tell the Porsche dealer to do the bare minimum such as checking the brakes and fluids! It may be best to ask the Porsche dealer yourself exactly what they are checking. You could ask them to do a CPO inspection but they will probably want $2-3k for that and the selling dealer may not want to fork over that much, unless they are selling you the car for enough to cover it.

Yes, Porsche is doing the 40k service (even though it only has 26k miles and the dealer is paying for it. So far everything looks good, just the struts on the engine cover were weak.

I can do the PCM update for $200. Didn't know if that was important or not.

I didn't know they would do a CPO inspection. That wasn't offered by the dealership.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:50 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

They can do a CPO inspection but not issue a CPO warranty on the car so come to think of it I am sure it would be well less than $2-3k. Only you can decide about the PCM update but there were a couple recent threads you can read if you search this forum.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

perhaps a dme/over rev report if manual
Old 05-13-2019, 11:42 AM
idrachman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Major 40k/4yr service

Had mine done last month after 6 years and 24k miles. My engine cover struts had to be replaced too. Probably a chronic issue but no mention of campaign or recall by Porsche.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM
phansson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by koven
perhaps a dme/over rev report if manual
I have been told that, but this one is PDK so I am going to trust the computer. I hope that is not a mistake

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by phansson
Yes, Porsche is doing the 40k service (even though it only has 26k miles and the dealer is paying for it. So far everything looks good, just the struts on the engine cover were weak.

I can do the PCM update for $200. Didn't know if that was important or not.

I didn't know they would do a CPO inspection. That wasn't offered by the dealership.
If in fact a "legitimate" 40K service is being done, it's a major service and the person paying for the service will be presented a list of everything that was checked and done. For example an oil and filter change, new spark plugs, new particle filters, brake fluid flush, and new drive belt should be done. The checklist provided by most dealers use a green, yellow, or red color to specify the condition of the item checked, and my recollection is that there were about 20 items on that list. If it were me I'd ask to look at the checklist and pay particular attention to what was done, and how the tech evaluated the brakes and tires. The price that Porsche charges for this service varies by dealer, but most dealers would charge around $2000 for the work I described.
I would highly doubt that they are actually doing a 40K service, which for a 2013 should have been done in 2017, regardless of mileage. I've never bought a used car, but if I did I would never consider a car which didn't have a record of all the services performed. If the service work were performed at a Porsche dealership, a record of all the work done can be downloaded from their computer. At the minimum I'd want proof that the oil was changed yearly, that the spark plugs were changed, and on a six year old car, that the brakes were flushed at least twice (Porsche recommends every two years).
Old 05-13-2019, 02:41 PM
phansson
Intermediate

Oil change was regular, but never taken to the dealership for some reason. Oil changes were done by an Audi dealership. They are completing the 40k service today and the cost was $2300 (paid by the dealership). So that sounds like a full service. Overall the Porsche tech said the car was in great shape and good to go. Again, only thing they reported was the weak engine cover.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by phansson
Oil change was regular, but never taken to the dealership for some reason. Oil changes were done by an Audi dealership. They are completing the 40k service today and the cost was $2300 (paid by the dealership). So that sounds like a full service. Overall the Porsche tech said the car was in great shape and good to go. Again, only thing they reported was the weak engine cover.
Again if it were me, I'd ask for a printout of the work they did. I see no reason why they wouldn't provide it to you. Hopefully the tech completed a checklist and you could determine if the car is worth the money being asked. It's your money, but if it were mine a tech saying it was in great shape wouldn't be good enough for me. Since I haven't bought a used car I have no experience in this area, but from what I've read on this forum a PPI from a competent Porsche tech is highly recommended.
Good luck.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:46 PM
phansson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fast1
Again if it were me, I'd ask for a printout of the work they did. I see no reason why they wouldn't provide it to you. Hopefully the tech completed a checklist and you could determine if the car is worth the money being asked. It's your money, but if it were mine a tech saying it was in great shape wouldn't be good enough for me. Since I haven't bought a used car I have no experience in this area, but from what I've read on this forum a PPI from a competent Porsche tech is highly recommended.
Good luck.
Yes, I will be getting a list of what was done at the dealer.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by idrachman
Had mine done last month after 6 years and 24k miles. My engine cover struts had to be replaced too. Probably a chronic issue but no mention of campaign or recall by Porsche.
What are engine cover struts? Never heard of this part before. What’s its importance and what happens if you don’t get them fixed?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:28 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
If the service work were performed at a Porsche dealership, a record of all the work done can be downloaded from their computer.
If you get lucky and go to the dealer that did the work. A Porsche dealer can not share work that was done at another Porsche dealer only their own.

Sounds like a good car if all they found were the engine cover shocks failed. Nice to have that 40k service out of the way too. If there is no record of the brake fluid flush, I'd do that at the same time it's inexpensive compared to the 40k service then you'll have a great baseline on maintenance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre purchase advice