991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belt B-Pillar Anchor Point Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019 | 04:47 PM
dkhm3
Racer

I have a rattle there too. I also have one behind me in the middle of the backseat plastic storage area.

I am very rattle sensitive so maybe it is barely an issue- but annoying nonetheless- I know someone posted a fix by lodging some material in the crevices. maybe do a search?
Old 05-08-2019 | 05:31 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by dkhm3
I have a rattle there too. I also have one behind me in the middle of the backseat plastic storage area.

I am very rattle sensitive so maybe it is barely an issue- but annoying nonetheless- I know someone posted a fix by lodging some material in the crevices. maybe do a search?
I've been searching around for weeks and couldn't find any posts about this specifically. I found a YouTube video of a guy with a BMW who fixed a similar noise by replacing the washer on the bolt, but I can't find what kind of bolt it is. It's also a similar but different seat belt mechanism, so I'm not sure if his method would work with this car anyway. I tried putting felt over everything in there and that didn't help either.

I'm like, moderately rattle sensitive, but an incessant, loud creaking noise behind your left ear while driving is just not tolerable. I also sent the service advisor 3 videos of the noise when I went in for the appointment...didn't help.
Old 11-26-2019 | 09:37 AM
epnfrn
Rennlist Member

I have this in my 2013 4S and it has been getting worse the last couple months. Driving me crazy too. I may open things up this weekend and poke around
Old 11-26-2019 | 07:27 PM
DanQ
Pro

I can't hear the noise as you described in video, it sounds like something scraping the mic.

However, I have a rattle in my b pillar area too. So I hope someone has suggestions. My car is stored for the year so I can't help until spring.
Old 11-26-2019 | 09:02 PM
epnfrn
Rennlist Member

I pulled apart some of the trim around the seatbelt and found there were some plastic pieces that made the same type of sound when pushed certain ways. I put a bunch of graphite between the pieces. Took pictures. If it works, I’ll post the pics.
Old 11-30-2019 | 03:34 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

There’s a metal “anchor” clip that mounts that whole B pillar interior trim to the car itself. It has to be removed in order to remove/adjust the rear side window or the window trim. It’s REALLY hard to release (IMO) &, consequently, easy to warp/bend. I wonder if that little piece being deformed or not engaged properly could cause that noise? For that matter, once removed, you could check the bolt for the rear side window to make sure it’s not loose?
Old 11-30-2019 | 04:08 PM
epnfrn
Rennlist Member

My graphite experiment didn’t work. I now think it is some part of the seat back. If I sit forward, it goes away. Sit back and it’s back. Annoyingly, if I’m in the garage and move seat every possible way, can’t reproduce. But in my case I now think it’s seat back. Sounds like it is coming exactly from that b-pillar when driving though
Old 11-30-2019 | 05:11 PM
NF4710
Pro

I found in my case the noise was the seatbelt latch. I purchased WD40 dry lube and sprayed it in the latch and it's gone.

Cheers,
NM
Old 11-30-2019 | 11:12 PM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

I had a squeak/rattle in my T. I had the seat all the way down, but this seems to take load off the rails and allow a little play, so I bumped it up a tiny bit and the noise went away.
I had a similar issue with an Audi S4 I owned.. The noises travel weirdly. I would have swore the Audi noise was from the glove box, but it was the pass seat. Same thing. If the seat was full down, it made noise. a pinch up and it was silent.
Old 12-07-2019 | 07:00 PM
epnfrn
Rennlist Member

Solved my problem. Was something in the outboard seatback release lever. Sprayed some WD40 in there and gone! I’ll get some silicone spray for more permanent solution soon. Absolutely sounded like it came from seatbelt anchor point.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt B-Pillar Anchor Point Noise