Sponsored by:

Seat Belt B-Pillar Anchor Point Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:28 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Seat Belt B-Pillar Anchor Point Noise

I have a 2018 Carrera T, bought it used about 2 months ago, and for the past month I've been having this horrifically annoying rattling noise coming from the B-pillar area right behind the driver's seat. I'm 95% sure it's coming from the anchor point that's bolted into the pillar itself, but I can't figure out which part is making noise, and it's very hard to duplicate without the car running and driving. I've now taken it in to two different dealerships here in LA without any success (shockingly! they say they can't hear the noise), so I'm turning here to see if anyone has any ideas or any DIY fix I can try too. I bought a self adhesive felt pad from Michaels and tried putting felt on basically every internal component of the seat belt, which also didn't work. I've put tape in there around the actual piece too, but that didn't work. It's so incredibly obnoxious because it happens incessantly and it's right behind your ear while driving.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I did not hear a rattle and I let my wife listen and neither did she.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
On my computer speakers I have to turn up the volume a bit to hear it, but it's definitely there. There seems to be a weird iPhone camera video recording quirk where the noise seems to sound like more of a scratching than a clicking/metal/plasticky creaking noise which it what it sounds like in person. But here's another video...all of the "scratchy" noises you hear are creaks coming from that area.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

On my computer I have to turn the volume up a bit, but it's definitely there. For some reason the iPhone camera seems to capture the sound as more of a scratchy noise than the clicking/creaking that it sounds like in the car. Here's another video I took this morning, all of the scratching noises sound like clicking/creaking in the car.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:19 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Trying to reply with a link to another video, but basically on my computer speakers I had to turn up the volume to hear the noise. It's a quirk of the way the phone records sound in the car.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:20 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Are you talking about that noise that sounds like your shirt is rubbing against the seat? That’s the only noise I heard. If that’s coming from where you are describing, that would be annoying to listen to.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ991
Are you talking about that noise that sounds like your shirt is rubbing against the seat? That’s the only noise I heard. If that’s coming from where you are describing, that would be annoying to listen to.
Yup, I don't understand why the iPhone camera audio records it sounding scratchy, but in person it's much more of a clicking/creaking noise.

And yes, it is incredibly annoying to listen to, it happens basically on any road surface and is audible over phone calls, the radio, music, podcasts, etc...The only way to not hear it is to open the window or sunroof, which works at times, but obviously isn't a real solution. I can't figure out why it doesn't happen when the car is stopped, but my only thought is that the vibration through the b pillar moves something in the seat belt anchor or somewhere in there, causing the noise. I had my girlfriend drive the car and she heard the noise too, so I know it's not seat belt position as she's a good 7-8 inches shorter than me and used a much different seat location.

Dealer techs apparently have hearing loss or something, I have no idea how they didn't hear this directly behind their ear.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Duplicate post

Last edited by ianmSC; 05-08-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:02 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Duplicate post

Old 05-08-2019, 02:09 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Duplicate post

Old 05-08-2019, 02:17 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Duplicate post

Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I could hear the noise in the second video and that would drive me mad. It almost sound like a scratching noise but without being there it would be impossible to try and find out what it is. Do you have someone that can ride in the back and get their head up close to that area, and be able to push certain areas while you are driving?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:38 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

I could hear the noise in the second video and that would drive me mad. It almost sound like a scratching noise but without being there it would be impossible to try and find out what it is. Do you have someone that can ride in the back and get their head up close to that area, and be able to push certain areas while you are driving?
With my height I'm not sure how many people could fit in the rear seat behind me...might be worth a try with my girlfriend if she could stand it for a few minutes. I've tried pushing on the metal piece while driving, obviously hard to do while being safe, but it seemed to make some difference. The seat belt was twisted when I bought the car, so I had the dealership put it back correctly (I couldn't after many attempts), so my thought is that maybe in doing that they took that piece off and didn't tighten it correctly, or did something to it that's causing this noise now. Would have rather had the twisted seat belt...

Despite the inconvenience and headache, I'd take it back to the dealership again if I thought there was any chance of them doing something other than say they can't hear it. The weird part to me is why it's so hard to duplicate when the car isn't moving...I've tried shaking that part and moving it around, you hear something but not nearly as bad as when in motion.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:42 PM
campbellbarker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passing on my experience (UK 2017 GTS), thought I had a noise coming from over my shoulder, right in my ear, from the seatbelt... came back from the dealer and they said that they had tightened up the seat frame. I have no idea whether this is correct but the noise stopped, whatever they did.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt B-Pillar Anchor Point Noise