Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 SharkWerks Exhaust - input

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 PM
zunayed
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey Grantsfo, since you have the exhaust with no other mods, can you elaborate on the drone aspect of the exhaust? What RPMs do you get droning on? What modes? Are the drone levels comparable to mine or much better? Thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
Kelsey (07-25-2021)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:51 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zunayed
Installed the exhaust today. Now I have SOUL Sport Cats and the SharkWerk exhaust installed together. My impressions so far:

1. There's some crazy droning in Sport mode, between 2k-3k RPMs. It's super loud and seems to be resonating in my ears and making them hurt.
2. On Sport+, there's very, very slight drone which is honestly not noticeable.
3. On Normal, there's some drone but it's quite tolerable.
4. Car sounds fantastic north of 3k RPM in all modes. Like, crazy good. On Sport, the burbles sound stronger, and Sport+ sounds fantastic all throughout.
3. The PSE button almost doesn't make a difference in noise levels, especially in Sport mode.

Side notes: When I got my car, I thought Sport+ sounded much better than Sport and used it regularly. When I installed the SOUL Cats, I noticed that Sport sounded a lot better than it used to. It was deeper, more full-bodied and more guttural. The burbles sounded much more authentic. There was also slight droning between 2k-3k RPMs. Sport+, on the other hand, felt underwhelming but did not have this drone. I believe Soul prioritized on improving the Sport mode experience and did their best to add character to the sound. The light drone was a minor compromise.
Now with the Cats+SW, I believe there is a compounding effect making the drone on Sport mode horrible. Since there was no drone in Sport+ mode with the Cats in my car, there's very little with now Cats+SW.

I'm pretty sure those without Sport Cats will have a very different experience from me.

TL;DR: Don't install SW Exhaust together with SOUL Sport Cats.
hey zunayed, agree whole-heartedly. As Dan said on the thread when ordering we recommend doing one or the other of those kinds of systems and it'll probably be really loud - maybe trying one vs the other because they were designed independently etc... Unless you want a super-aggressive set up I wouldn't combine our x-pipe with a high-flow cat or delete. The later itself already makes the car louder and if combined with ours it'll be way loud for a lot of people I should think. I think it's a case of one or the other but not both together. We definately did design ours for use with stock cats and hence the volume/level etc... anything above that might well be too loud indeed.

Last edited by sharkster; 06-13-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:28 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 488 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by shing911500e
https://youtu.be/ZcVQ6pVtAzo

Video from Sharkwerks. How are we thinking about this one vs. Akropovic slip on? Stats seem similar but the Akropovic is lighter still, as its made of titanium...
Is this video of a car with no other mods?
Drone for me has always been slower driving especially uphill when going with traffic, say 3rd gear going 35mph.
Or highway drone at lower rpms say 65 in sixth gear.
The drone issue for turbos IMO is lower revs ~ 2000-3300 rpms.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
hey zunayed, agree whole-heartedly. As Dan said to you on the phone when ordering we recommend doing one or the other of those kinds of systems and it'll probably be really loud - maybe trying one vs the other because they were designed independently etc... Unless you want a super-aggressive set up I wouldn't combine our x-pipe with a high-flow cat or delete. The later itself already makes the car louder and if combined with ours it'll be way loud for a lot of people I should think. I think it's a case of one or the other but not both together. We definately did design ours for use with stock cats and hence the volume/level etc... anything above that might well be too loud indeed.
This is what Dan had explained to me as well before ordering
Old 06-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

I right now, have:
1. Vecktor Performance Header - Ceramic coated
2. Cargraphics Sport Cats
3. Sharkwerks exhaut - Black Ceramic coated

Waiting to be installed (by me).

I am debating if I should install all three or just two out of the 3 components.
I have done 6hr long drive and plan on doing similar drives and lot of done and noise may be not a great thing in the long run.

Debating....
Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Haven't unpacked it her, but the ceramic finish and build quality looks great.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by siete-speed
Is this video of a car with no other mods?
Drone for me has always been slower driving especially uphill when going with traffic, say 3rd gear going 35mph.
Or highway drone at lower rpms say 65 in sixth gear.
The drone issue for turbos IMO is lower revs ~ 2000-3300 rpms.
This is with stock cats/headers. No other mods. I know the stock one has some drone at lower rpms in higher gears but it's not really any worse with this.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:36 PM
zunayed
Rennlist Member

Okay so on my end, I'm going to switch back to the stock cats and try the SW Exhaust by itself. I spent a few more hours driving last night, and a bit in the morning and I honestly think that the exhaust deserves the chance. I know that the obnoxious droning is definitely due to the combo and not the fault of either the SW Exhaust or the SOUL Cats. And I can reconfirm, above 3000rpm the sound is just phenomenal. Depending on how it sounds, I'll end up keeping one and selling the other. Will keep you guys updated.

Cyberbug yours looks fantastic with the coating. Congrats! I vote you try the exhaust by itself first, and then add the headers and see how it changes things. I suspect you'll have better results than me.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi guys
Since a lot of people have been asking us about high flow cats, cat deletes, muffler replacements and full exhausts such as Tubi that replace the muffler and cats, I made a reference chart which I've posted below.

This just outlines most of the ways you can modify the PSE exhaust system and it's strictly based on my opinions and experience. I haven't heard all these combinations or tested them extensively and noted this below. And I'd be happy for feedback on this chart. Also I didn't add headers to the chart because they won't have quite as big of an impact as the HFCs/bypasses etc. But they will certainly make everything a little bit louder and possibly add some power. The drone is also avoidable on many of these situations with different modes (Sport/PSE off etc.) and with a manual transmission especially because you can shift out of the "drone zone".

Any exhaust will have pluses and minuses, and any combination can be combined for someone's personal tastes so this might give you some insights.

Edit - I removed this chart due to inaccuracies. I will try to formulate something more detailed and repost soon.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 06-16-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM
zunayed
Rennlist Member

^Very Informative. Thank you Dan!!
Old 06-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

good point on manual being about to shift out of drone zone.

Dan and many others have pointed out to me earlier that doing all three, headers/cats/exhaust may be too much from noise/drone perspective.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

I listed mine in market place, if anyone is interested for immediate delivery.
I may comeback to it, but I am going to try the headers and cats only first.

Can't say enough good things about sharkwerks customer service and build/finish quality.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Cheers and thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:28 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zunayed
Okay so on my end, I'm going to switch back to the stock cats and try the SW Exhaust by itself. I spent a few more hours driving last night, and a bit in the morning and I honestly think that the exhaust deserves the chance. I know that the obnoxious droning is definitely due to the combo and not the fault of either the SW Exhaust or the SOUL Cats. And I can reconfirm, above 3000rpm the sound is just phenomenal. Depending on how it sounds, I'll end up keeping one and selling the other. Will keep you guys updated.

Cyberbug yours looks fantastic with the coating. Congrats! I vote you try the exhaust by itself first, and then add the headers and see how it changes things. I suspect you'll have better results than me.
please post results from this!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
Hi guys
Since a lot of people have been asking us about high flow cats, cat deletes, muffler replacements and full exhausts such as Tubi that replace the muffler and cats, I made a reference chart which I've posted below.

This just outlines most of the ways you can modify the PSE exhaust system and it's strictly based on my opinions and experience. I haven't heard all these combinations or tested them extensively and noted this below. And I'd be happy for feedback on this chart. Also I didn't add headers to the chart because they won't have quite as big of an impact as the HFCs/bypasses etc. But they will certainly make everything a little bit louder and possibly add some power. The drone is also avoidable on many of these situations with different modes (Sport/PSE off etc.) and with a manual transmission especially because you can shift out of the "drone zone".

Any exhaust will have pluses and minuses, and any combination can be combined for someone's personal tastes so this might give you some insights.

Dear fellow RLers.. Don't fall for this. This is PURE speculation and opinion by a company focused on selling their product. Muffler delete is just about the worst thing you can do to your car.

Quick Reply: 991.2 SharkWerks Exhaust - input