Sponsored by:

cupholder assembly removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts
Default cupholder assembly removal

Trying to replace the cupholder assembly and can't find any information on the removal procedure for a 991. Has anybody done this? Are there screws/torx/allens holding the assembly in or clips or does it just "pop" out like the rest of the trim. I can't contort my body enough to see up in the glovebox. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:06 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
Trying to replace the cupholder assembly and can't find any information on the removal procedure for a 991. Has anybody done this? Are there screws/torx/allens holding the assembly in or clips or does it just "pop" out like the rest of the trim. I can't contort my body enough to see up in the glovebox. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Here is what I found.

“Start by removing the small trim piece to the right of the cup holder. You can pry it off by hand on either side of it. It is held by friction clips.

Once that trim piece is removed, then open your glove box, grab the cup holder firmly (not by the lid, but the assembly itself) and just pull straight towards you. It will come out. It is also held in by friction clips.”
Old 04-29-2019, 03:02 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Here is what I found.

“Start by removing the small trim piece to the right of the cup holder. You can pry it off by hand on either side of it. It is held by friction clips.

Once that trim piece is removed, then open your glove box, grab the cup holder firmly (not by the lid, but the assembly itself) and just pull straight towards you. It will come out. It is also held in by friction clips.”
Thank you sir!
Old 04-29-2019, 04:15 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Just curious, but why would you want to do this? The cup holders are great. Not sure if you heard, but 992 center cup holder has been recalled! Pretty ridiculous for a six figure car.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:08 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

It's not easy the first time, and even the shop manual isn't much help. There are two clips between the top of the assembly & the dash that hold it in. They're a pain to get out. They show a screwdriver popping the clips, but I couldn't figure that out. I used a wide trim removal piece between the dash & the cupholder assembly, and some force (more than I was comfortable with the first time) to get it out. Good luck. Picture is from the 991.1 manual...

Old 04-29-2019, 06:10 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Just curious, but why would you want to do this? The cup holders are great. Not sure if you heard, but 992 center cup holder has been recalled! Pretty ridiculous for a six figure car.
It's the easiest way to fix a broken cup holder. The whole thing is sold as one assembly.
Some people also replace it if they're changing trim colors...
Old 04-29-2019, 09:28 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Got it guys, thank you for your help.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to take a look at this post. It was the most helpful one I came across when I swapped my silver trim for carbon fiber.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1087...mod-diary.html

Quick Reply: cupholder assembly removal